Contribute
Register

[Solved] Issues with Sierra on GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 + 6700k + gtx970

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all,

I built once a hackintosh in 2011, and decided to do it again now. Unfortunately, i seems to have more problems this time as before. I followed these instructions https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/
with minor changes related to how web drivers are installed. Yet, i can't really make the following work:

1) Asus Strix GTX 970. I installed web drivers, edited config.plist as described https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-3-367-15-10-35.213122/ but still can't boot unless I disable Nvidia.
Note: I have a very old monitor at home (just for testing purposes), it is connected via VGA-DVI adapter. In one of the threads somebody mentioned this could be a problem. If I won't find the solution, i will bring Hackintosh to work to test with a more modern monitor.

2) Before booting, i have to go to Options -> PCI devices and check USB Ownership / USB Injection. Otherwise the boot hangs. What is their counterpart in Clover Configuration? I could not find it. UPDATE: Solved

p.s. i have not tested Audio though, but if i could make those two work, that would already be great. UPDATE: Audio works now.
p.p.s. Front USB3 connectors are working, i am not sure what exactly (2) does.

Cheers,
Denis.

Last edited:
1) Asus Strix GTX 970. I installed web drivers, edited config.plist as described https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-3-367-15-10-35.213122/ but still can't boot unless I disable Nvidia.

Setup emulated NVRAM to store the nvda_drv=1 boot flag in boot-args.
See Problem 6 of Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems
Install EmuVariableUefi-64 + RC Scripts

Note: I have a very old monitor at home (just for testing purposes), it is connected via VGA-DVI adapter. In one of the threads somebody mentioned this could be a problem.

It is best to avoid VGA and any DVI>VGA or HDMI>VGA adapters, as VGA is not supported and can lead to issues.

2) Before booting, i have to go to Options -> PCI devices and check USB Ownership / USB Injection. Otherwise the boot hangs. What is their counterpart in Clover Configuration? I could not find it.

Check Inject USB + FixOwnership in Clovers config.plist.
Code:
        <key>USB</key>
        <dict>
            <key>FixOwnership</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>

USB.png

thanks for the prompt reply. I should have mentioned that for me the problem manifests in restart in the middle of the boot (apple), without any apparent kernel panic or error. I can't even catch the last lines in verbose mode.

From the Problem 6 description, i does not immediately look like my issue. Strangely no guide I saw mentions this issue. Could you please elaborate how this solution is related to the problem i have with GPU?

From the Problem 6 description, i does not immediately look like my issue. Strangely no guide I saw mentions this issue. Could you please elaborate how this solution is related to the problem i have with GPU?

Your motherboard does not have native NVRAM support so you need to setup emulated NVRAM to store the nvda_drv=1 boot flag in boot-args.

If you don't setup emulated NVRAM your system will boot with the OS X Default Graphics Driver instead of the Nvidia Web Driver.
Since your GTX 970 is not supported by the OS X Default Graphics Driver your system will hang or reboot.

thanks for clarification. So If I understand correctly, I can install this Clover EFI v2 after all the steps I already did (Multibeast, kextsts, etc)? I guess I am just overwriting Clover which was installed by Multibeast?

Check Inject USB + FixOwnership in Clovers config.plist.

that worked, thanks! I also realized that I only need FixOwnership.

p.s. Apparently my Audio also does not work, oh well, probably need to try something else than ALC1150 which I chose in Multibeast

thanks for clarification. So If I understand correctly, I can install this Clover EFI v2 after all the steps I already did (Multibeast, kextsts, etc)? I guess I am just overwriting Clover which was installed by Multibeast?

The Clover Installer will backup your current installation to the root of your SSD/HD in a folder called EFI-Backups, and update the version on your EFI partition.

p.s. Apparently my Audio also does not work, oh well, probably need to try something else than ALC1150 which I chose in Multibeast

You need to install ALC1150 and 100 Series Audio for your Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec

MultiBeast > Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150
MultiBeast > Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > 100 Series Audio

MultiBeast > Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150
MultiBeast > Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > 100 Series Audio

I tried that but no luck so far. However, I am overnighting .plist with the one from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/ Do I need to merge it with that created by Multibeast?

did that, no change in the behaviour. The new Clover is installed though (GUI is different).

Minor update: GPU issue is still there. Apparently I can also boot without nv_disable, but then OSX default graphics driver is used. Even when I click on NVIDIA drivers and restart. So it is indeed appears to be Problem 6.

Ps. If it matters, I used Clover 2.4r4035

Last edited:
I solved the GPU issue by using active DVI-D adapter! Yay!

But I broke it immediately by going to Display Preferences and choosing "scaled" which my old monitor does not support. Now on loading I see the monitor message: "Frequency out of range: 67 KHz / 60 Hz..." . Booting in safe mode does not help. Any idea how to reset those settings to "Default for display"? I can boot with nv_disable, but I could not find a way to reset these settings.

Update: tried reinstalling Clover with those patches, but it did not help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back