Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Instant reboot after USB Sierra Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. :clap:
Enjoy your macOSSierra. :)

If you have an extra SSD of equal or bigger size, clone your current flawless System to the blank disk to keep it for a rainy day. In my personal experience, Linux Freeware, Clonezilla is the BEST System Hard Disk Cloner for Linux, Windows, and Mac; better than paid versions of Mac's CCC I have been using in the past.

Clonezilla is very easy to use and beginner friendly. It can easily be created using "Rufus" (freeware) in Legacy or UEFI mode through Windows. I have a partially illustrated post about that in the Forum somewhere in response to a question I had answered a few months back. If you are interested you can search and find.

Edited to add the Link to this Forum's page on Clonezilla Cloning of Hackintosh HDD
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-install-its-acting-very-strange.208298/

Last edited:
Sorry for the late answer !

Yep, I have another SSD plugged in. I'll check into Clonezilla this weekend, thanks for the tip !

The sweet scent of sierra...mmmh :p

So after another 4 hours of debugging and roaming on the forums, I found a mention of some reboot kext that could be the problem.

And it's solved !!! Bloody hell this was an emotional roallercoaster. So, for anyone in total despair, with a similar problem, here are the steps :

1 - Boot from USB (plugged in back port - mandatory)
2 - Select Recovery mode and boot
3 - Click on utilities in the upper menu and select the Terminal
4 - Navigate with the "cd" command to your system extensions -> "cd /Volumes/YOURDISKNAME/System/Library/Extensions"
5 - Delete the Ev0reboot.kext with the "rm" command -> "rm -rf ev0reboot.kext"
6 - Click on the apple logo in the upper menu and select reboot
7 - Make sure you are still booting from USB and select the disk where Sierra is installed using space bar
8 - Tick the option to boot with no cache
9 - Boot with selected options (end of list normally)
10 - Drink yourself to a coma because you made it after 12 hours of non-stop angst :p

I'm currently experiencing the reboot bug when upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra. Quite frustrating (41 minutes remaining.. and you think you're set and then POOF it restarts!)

Will report back if this fix works.

I'm currently experiencing the reboot bug when upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra. Quite frustrating (41 minutes remaining.. and you think you're set and then POOF it restarts!)

Will report back if this fix works.

Aaaaaaand we're off to the races, folks! @Identity62 I've finally progressed past 41 minutes remaining! Currently halfway through upgrade progress bar. Thanks mate. NO WAY i woulda figured this out.

Who should we tag to fix the bug here? And why does it do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back