MSI B75MA-P45
CPU
Core i5-2500K
Graphics
ATI HD5770
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone,

I have been using Yosemite for a year now and needed to update to Sierra for a couple of programs I need to use.
The problem is I am now stuck on the second step of the install process (see steps below). I have backed up my files but have no access to another mac to rebuild the bootable USB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the noobness to come !

These are the steps I followed to install Sierra, following the online guide on this site :

1 - Create USB with Legacy Boot option
2 - Plug the USB key in back port
3 - Reboot and select boot from USB
4 - From Clover boot options select "Boot Mac OS X from USB"
4 - Sierra installs, then restarts computer (USB key still in)
5 - Select the drive Sierra is now installed onto (Sierra logo on HFS drive) and boot
6 - Panics and reboot instantly (apple logo, *empty* loading bar, then reboot)

These are the boot flags : dart=0 -v (I tried kext-dev-mode=1 also)

Attached is a screenshot of the boot log.

My setup is as follows :
- Dual monitor (DVI and HDMI) : only using DVI whilst installing
- ATI HD5770
- Core i5-2500K
- MSI B75MA-P45
- Dual SSD : one for system, other for data

I have tried semi-randomly to change settings in clover here and there to no avail. I have pretty much selected every option available... no success and always the same exact problem (progress bar shows then immediately reboots). This is my only working computer, and I'm in total despair. After 6 hours straight of random debugging, I'm calling for help!

Edit : I must say I noticed I have UEFI on my computer but chose legacy when creating the USB key. In my bios settings I selected LEGACY/UEFI mode. I have to my knowledge no way of re-creating another USB stick...

Attachments

• boot-fail-sierra-usb-log.jpeg
    boot-fail-sierra-usb-log.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,883
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have been using Yosemite for a year now and needed to update to Sierra for a couple of programs I need to use.
The problem is I am now stuck on the second step of the install process (see steps below). I have backed up my files but have no access to another mac to rebuild the bootable USB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the noobness to come !

These are the steps I followed to install Sierra, following the online guide on this site :

1 - Create USB with Legacy Boot option
2 - Plug the USB key in back port
3 - Reboot and select boot from USB
4 - From Clover boot options select "Boot Mac OS X from USB"
4 - Sierra installs, then restarts computer (USB key still in)
5 - Select the drive Sierra is now installed onto (Sierra logo on HFS drive) and boot
6 - Panics and reboot instantly (apple logo, *empty* loading bar, then reboot)

These are the boot flags : dart=0 -v (I tried kext-dev-mode=1 also)

Attached is a screenshot of the boot log.

My setup is as follows :
- Dual monitor (DVI and HDMI) : only using DVI whilst installing
- ATI HD5770
- Core i5-2500K
- MSI B75MA-P45
- Dual SSD : one for system, other for data

I have tried semi-randomly to change settings in clover here and there to no avail. I have pretty much selected every option available... no success and always the same exact problem (progress bar shows then immediately reboots). This is my only working computer, and I'm in total despair. After 6 hours straight of random debugging, I'm calling for help!

Edit : I must say I noticed I have UEFI on my computer but chose legacy when creating the USB key. In my bios settings I selected LEGACY/UEFI mode. I have to my knowledge no way of re-creating another USB stick...

whats happening to me is my computer keeps restarting

Would you care NOT to pollute someone else's thread with your problem ? Create your own, thanks!

So after another 4 hours of debugging and roaming on the forums, I found a mention of some reboot kext that could be the problem.

And it's solved !!! Bloody hell this was an emotional roallercoaster. So, for anyone in total despair, with a similar problem, here are the steps :

1 - Boot from USB (plugged in back port - mandatory)
2 - Select Recovery mode and boot
3 - Click on utilities in the upper menu and select the Terminal
4 - Navigate with the "cd" command to your system extensions -> "cd /Volumes/YOURDISKNAME/System/Library/Extensions"
5 - Delete the Ev0reboot.kext with the "rm" command -> "rm -rf ev0reboot.kext"
6 - Click on the apple logo in the upper menu and select reboot
7 - Make sure you are still booting from USB and select the disk where Sierra is installed using space bar
8 - Tick the option to boot with no cache
9 - Boot with selected options (end of list normally)
10 - Drink yourself to a coma because you made it after 12 hours of non-stop angst :p

It is hard to diagnose the cause of the current issue with the second part of "2- parts Sierra Installation" from the screen shot.
It is unfortunate you 'killed the goose that was laying the golden egg' , your "Yosemite Hackintosh' that helped you create the Sierra Installer. Now you have no other host hackintosh to create a Bootable USB Installer with Sierra in the Application folder.

Your best next step from my point of view is to use the current Sierra Legacy USB installer as the first boot device and try to start all over again the installation process.
From your description, the Disk you created is bootable and capable of reaching the installation screen, complete the task with the Disk Utility in partition and formatting of the disk and start the OS installation and complete the first part of Sierra installation OK.

• I suggest that you start the Installation with slight modification to the way you have done before.
    • Connect only single SSD , the target for Sierra Installation. This is to reduce any confusion during installation with too may hardware to deal with in CLOVER Boot Manager screen.
    • Keep your current BIOS options which seems to be OK as the Installer reached the Clover Boot Screen without any Problem.
    • In Clover Boot Manager screen, type in Options> Boot Args: -v dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1
    • Boot your Sierra Legacy USB installer
    • In the Installation screen select >Utility>Disk utility
  • Select the previously tried SSD to reformat (ERASE) using GUID partition scheme and mac Os Extended (Journaled) formatting.
  • Select the formatted disk to install with Customized options.
  • From this time on what you need is 'watchful expectancy and masterly inactivity'!
    • Let the installer copy the required files on to the reformatted disk
    • Let the Installer and the 'half-baked' SSD reboot automatically without any key input from you.
    • Wait and watch the screen and the LEDs of HDD and Flash drive for their activity in the background
    • The System will find its way back to the monitor screen display without your keyboard intervention.
    • Wait until you see the Welcome screen with "World Map" to click "Continue"
  • Now use your keyboard to answer the prompt according to your installation needs.
  • Once you finally reach the Desktop and accept whatever Keyboard type your system has , next click open "System Preferences> "Security & Privacy" to enable you to "Allow App download from" >" Anywhere"
    • An easy way to accomplish the above is through Terminal ( in Applications>Utility)
      • sudo spctl --master-disable [ENTER or Return key]
      • Your Password
      • There won't be any output on the Terminal that you can see but if you check Preferences> "Security & Privacy" to enable you to "Allow App download from" >" Anywhere" , the Radio button will be "dotted"!
  • Check your System Report [the Device Manager equivalent of Mac] of what are the missing things to use Multibeast 9.01 to fix for you through Apple >About This Mac>System report...>Hardware
Hope the above outline will help you fix your problem

Sorry I was late and you could use Recovery disk to fix the problem

Thanks a lot for your reply anyways ! It was a problem with this Ev0reboot.kext. God knows why ;)

Now I'm trying to figure out why I have no audio !

EvOReboot.kext was once used in OS X Snow Leoperd as a fix for Shut down and reboot problem but the last I could remember it being used was in Mountain Lion. I don't recall it being part of any Installer and System disk since then. I have not seen in any disk I have created using Tonymac's Guide on Unibeast Sierra.

To be honest, I would not have considered it as a possible cause for the problem as I would not think it being installed in the system using the USB Installer we normally create. Unless we know from other posts having the same issue it is impossible to consider that as the cause from the Verbose screen posted. I am very happy for you that you stumbled across the post and used the Recovery disk to mount the System disk's /S/L/E to delete the offending kext's folder from ever loading in the Sierra System Disk to cause the Kernel panic!

Coming to your audio issue , what Realtek ALC you have in that MoBO?
Did you already install Multibeast 9.01 >Audo>Realtek driver?
What does your "System Preferences >Sound > "Output" and "Input Menu" show
A screen capture image will be helpful
In some case when Multibeast cannot solve the Audio problem, Toleda's audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command will fix.

Concerning EvOReboot.kext, i've seen two or three posts mentioning it whilst installing Sierra. So I definitely think there's a problem to be fixed with this kext being wrongfully included using Unibeast 7 and Multibeast Sierra. Maybe it's related to the legacy option I chose ?

Concerning the audio, I used Toleda's command as suggested (Multibeast indeed did not work). Rebooted. Didn't work.
Then I remembered having the same problem with my Yosemite install, so rebooted again, this time using kext-dev-mode=1, and it works like a charm :)

Can't thank you enough for guiding me to that specific audio fix !

EDIT : Yup, 887 it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back