Contribute
Register

[Solved] Installation of High Sierra in MSI X99A SLI PLUS – i7-6800k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Asus X99 motherboard and I had the same problem. A simple test and easy fix might be to enable 4G decoding if you have it in your bios. If it works, great, and if it doesn't, its easy to revert.
I tried this, with no result.
Try nickwoodhams.com OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
I was already using it.
Hopefully you are trying to boot from a Sata or NVMe connected drive and not using a USB connection to try and boot....
I have tried both, from usb and Sata, and also tried to boot into a Sata SSD with High Sierra already installed on it but the output is always the same, nothing happens after the plus line.

Thank you both btw.

If you are installing/booting from USB make sure that you use an Intel USB port.
Specs said:
Intel X99 Express Chipset
- 6 x USB 3.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 3.0 connectors*)
- 6 x USB 2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)

• ASMedia ASM1142
- 2 x USB 3.1 ports on the back panel

• VIA VL805
- 4 x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel

May require USBInjectAll.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May need PMHeart’s patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.
The problem may also occur when your USB controllers are unsupported, if this is the case you should add the appropriate kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ or try GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

I tried this, with no result.

I was already using it.

I have tried both, from usb and Sata, and also tried to boot into a Sata SSD with High Sierra already installed on it but the output is always the same, nothing happens after the plus line.

Thank you both btw.

So, when I used 4g decoding it was only with AptioMemory, not with nick woodhams OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.

I think MSI X99 boards can be tricky - and X99 in general can be challenging. I ought to know - I've had three of them and each one was not simple.

I do recall another user who had an X99 MSI board and had some trouble but eventually he fixed it. If you do a deep search on this board you may find what he did to get his system working.

Also: if you are booting from USB, use a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0 port.....but a internal Sata connected drive should boot.

I guess I want to clarify where you are with your system build. Have you actually got to the place of installing macOS (from a USB installer thumb drive) and then you rebooted only to find this random seed error? Or are you getting this error trying to boot the USB installer thumb drive?

Based on your first post, I assumed that you managed to boot the installer thumb drive and install macOS? But that when you tried to boot from the internal disk, you couldn't? Is that correct?

Last edited:
So, when I used 4g decoding it was only with AptioMemory, not with nick woodhams OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
Okay, I will try that.

I guess I want to clarify where you are with your system build. Have you actually got to the place of installing macOS (from a USB installer thumb drive) and then you rebooted only to find this random seed error? Or are you getting this error trying to boot the USB installer thumb drive?

Based on your first post, I assumed that you managed to boot the installer thumb drive and install macOS? But that when you tried to boot from the internal disk, you couldn't? Is that correct?
My original approach was to install macOS High Sierra on an SSD using a real MacBook Pro, and trying to boot into that drive afterwards from the Hackintosh PC - I’ve never been able to install any version of macOS using a bootable usb. Anyways, I have also tried to boot a thumb drive installer and a Sata drive installer, with the result being always the same verbose output. I have not been able to get any further, neither trying to boot the thumb drive installer or the SSD drive with High Sierra already installed.

I think MSI X99 boards can be tricky - and X99 in general can be challenging. I ought to know - I've had three of them and each one was not simple.
Truth is I have done a lot of research looking for users with the same mobo+processor build, and have not found anyone with it working until today:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-x99a-sli-plus-i7-6800k-asus-1080-high-sierra-13-2.244936/
I just found this post on this forum, so I am gonna give it a try, check the EFI folder and comment on any progress I make.

Last edited:
Today I managed to boot into High Sierra.
First, using the exact same efi folders in the post I mentioned (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-x99a-sli-plus-i7-6800k-asus-1080-high-sierra-13-2.244936/), I succesfully booted the intaller USB drive, and installed High Sierra 13.2 in a Sata HD.
Then I went through the config file and the drivers and kext folders, and I found out that the only change that makes it work is changing FakeCpuId to Haswell (0x0306F2), instead of using the Broadwell-e 0x040674 - with this change I also managed to boot an SSD with High Sierra 13.5 installed previously on it. Of course, this messes up power managment for the cpu, and means a big leap backward in terms of performance, so I do not think it can be a permanent solution.

I am hoping to hear your thoughts as well as any comments from users with similar issues.

So,
after deeper research I am pretty sure now that the problem was caused by the CPU being unsupported. It is also likely that the problem is related with MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboards aswell. In Sierra, similar problems were solved by the use of FakeCpuId along with kernel patch in clover for Broadwell-E processors. Also, some users would be able to solve it patching their BIOS. Seems like that hypothetical patch would be different for High Sierra, and it is yet to be created.

So,
after deeper research I am pretty sure now that the problem was caused by the CPU being unsupported. It is also likely that the problem is related with MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboards aswell. In Sierra, similar problems were solved by the use of FakeCpuId along with kernel patch in clover for Broadwell-E processors. Also, some users would be able to solve it patching their BIOS. Seems like that hypothetical patch would be different for High Sierra, and it is yet to be created.
this is the best tutorial I find for MY msi x99a AND i7 6800k
https://github.com/koush/EFI-X99
my benchmark overclock(GENIE) at 3,7.THIS IS MY CLOVER AND BELIEVEME THAT EVERYTHING WORKS WELL FORMI.GOOD LOCK.
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 22.27.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 22.28.19.png

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back