ASUS z87 Deluxe
CPU
i5
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hi!

Earlier today after my upgrade through app store to OS X 10.13.4 from 10.13.3, i wasn't able to get past the boot screen and was stuck with the apple logo. So I decided to grab my USB stick and do a full reinstall. After the first part of the install i booted to the main drive to continue installing, however I got the error "Mac OS X can't be installed to this computer, installer resources expired". I thought this was the result of having an old version of OS X on the USB, so I went to my bought Mac mini and downloaded the newer version, followed all the steps in the tutorial on this website... When i boot from the USB I only see my internal drives, however the Mac os install USB (that i booted from) doesn't show up in this list.

My questions are:
Can you give me any advice on how to fix this problem?
Does anyone know what "installer resources expired" means?
If there is anything else please tell me about it

Hi!

Earlier today after my upgrade through app store to OS X 10.13.4 from 10.13.3, i wasn't able to get past the boot screen and was stuck with the apple logo. So I decided to grab my USB stick and do a full reinstall. After the first part of the install i booted to the main drive to continue installing, however I got the error "Mac OS X can't be installed to this computer, installer resources expired". I thought this was the result of having an old version of OS X on the USB, so I went to my bought Mac mini and downloaded the newer version, followed all the steps in the tutorial on this website... When i boot from the USB I only see my internal drives, however the Mac os install USB (that i booted from) doesn't show up in this list.

My questions are:
Can you give me any advice on how to fix this problem?
Does anyone know what "installer resources expired" means?
If there is anything else please tell me about it

• Any time you have a problem during upgrade directly from a previous version of macOS or you decide a "clean Installation" with a newly created USB installer , I suggest to make the system as lean and clutter free as possible.
  • Many seem to forget they are not installing the macOS on a true Mac Hardware but a non-mac hardware and the installer file inside the USB flash disk is not expecting to encounter such unfamiliar hardware and may throw bizarre errors!
    • The System should be as lean as possible with just the target Hard disk for MacOS High Sierra connected to SATA port 0
    • USB ports should not have any Storage device attached except USB Installer
      • should have only the Input devices (keyboard&Mouse) and the Installer USB Flash disk.
    • The BIOS Boot Option Priorities(Hard disk Priority list) should have the USB Installer disk as boot option #1 and all other DEVICES (both real and bogus ones like macOS X ) DISABLED.
    • USB ports should be ENABLED
    • Unnecessary and boot failure causing "Serial Port" and "Parallel" ports must be DISABLED
    • Graphics choices must be properly made to avoid Graphics related freeze.( if an 'unexpected boot freeze' occurs think about a failure to do this).
When i boot from the USB I only see my internal drives, however the Mac os install USB (that i booted from) doesn't show up in this list.

With all the previous attempted installation , your BIOS could be a corrupted mess.
Try reloading Optimized Default BIOS and then from a 'clean slate' set up the BIOS for macOS installation going through EVERY BIOS MENU to choose what is needed and avoid unnecessary ones as hinted above.

If you have a computer with a lot of drives connected for Windows , Linux, Storage of Software or personal files, shut down the computer and disconnect all but the Target HDD from SATA, use "Clear CMOS" pins or CMOS Battery removal Technique to Reset CMOS and then configure BIOS setup for the MacOS Installation during reboot.

Upload the CLOVER from the USB installer to see if everything is OK for a proper boot.
For needed steps check #4

• Any time you have a problem during upgrade directly from a previous version of macOS or you decide a "clean Installation" with a newly created USB installer , I suggest to make the system as lean and clutter free as possible.
  • Many seem to forget they are not installing the macOS on a true Mac Hardware but a non-mac hardware and the installer file inside the USB flash disk is not expecting to encounter such unfamiliar hardware and may throw bizarre errors!
    • The System should be as lean as possible with just the target Hard disk for MacOS High Sierra connected to SATA port 0
    • USB ports should not have any Storage device attached except USB Installer
      • should have only the Input devices (keyboard&Mouse) and the Installer USB Flash disk.
    • The BIOS Boot Option Priorities(Hard disk Priority list) should have the USB Installer disk as boot option #1 and all other DEVICES (both real and bogus ones like macOS X ) DISABLED.
    • USB ports should be ENABLED
    • Unnecessary and boot failure causing "Serial Port" and "Parallel" ports must be DISABLED
    • Graphics choices must be properly made to avoid Graphics related freeze.( if an 'unexpected boot freeze' occurs think about a failure to do this).

With all the previous attempted installation , your BIOS could be a corrupted mess.
Try reloading Optimized Default BIOS and then from a 'clean slate' set up the BIOS for macOS installation going through EVERY BIOS MENU to choose what is needed and avoid unnecessary ones as hinted above.

If you have a computer with a lot of drives connected for Windows , Linux, Storage of Software or personal files, shut down the computer and disconnect all but the Target HDD from SATA, use "Clear CMOS" pins or CMOS Battery removal Technique to Reset CMOS and then configure BIOS setup for the MacOS Installation during reboot.

Upload the CLOVER from the USB installer to see if everything is OK for a proper boot.
For needed steps check #4
Maybe I have understood your answer wrong, but when I said list I meant the clover bootlist. So I manage to get to the unibeast/clover interface. I'm sorry if I was not clear.

Maybe I have understood your answer wrong, but when I said list I meant the clover bootlist. So I manage to get to the unibeast/clover interface. I'm sorry if I was not clear.
If you had uploaded images to the Forum in your post from:
  • BIOS_ Boot Option Priorities
  • F-12 Boot Device Selection Screen, and
  • Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen
it would have been a lot easier to follow the contents of the message. It will also be helpful to others with similar issues and reading a forum post a lot more interesting and informative.

See images from one of my posts:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ming-i7-7700k-intel-hd-630-radeon5450.239427/

Attachments

• 1.BIOS_Boot Option Priorities for USB installer boot .png
    1.BIOS_Boot Option Priorities for USB installer boot .png
    2.3 MB · Views: 596
  • 2.F-12 Boot device Selection screen .png
    2.F-12 Boot device Selection screen .png
    52.4 KB · Views: 656
  • 2.CBM screen _HS USB Installer Icon.png
    2.CBM screen _HS USB Installer Icon.png
    800.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 3. CBM Screen HS Installer immediately after first reboot .png
    3. CBM Screen HS Installer immediately after first reboot .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 605
  • 4.CBM screen High Sierra System Disk being booted .png
    4.CBM screen High Sierra System Disk being booted .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 581
If you had uploaded images to the Forum in your post from:
  • BIOS_ Boot Option Priorities
  • F-12 Boot Device Selection Screen, and
  • Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen
it would have been a lot easier to follow the contents of the message. It will also be helpful to others with similar issues and reading a forum post a lot more interesting and informative.

See images from one of my posts:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ming-i7-7700k-intel-hd-630-radeon5450.239427/

Hey! Ok now I have the pictures. So I manage to boot from the USB made in UNIBEAST but I cannot find an install external device in the menu. Could the problem be that I need to start formating the USB in APFS instead of Apple journal extended?

Attachments

• IMG_20180401_090737.jpg
    IMG_20180401_090737.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 505
  • IMG_20180401_090809.jpg
    IMG_20180401_090809.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20180401_090821.jpg
    IMG_20180401_090821.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 463
Last edited:
That looks suspiciously like a laptop in your image.
You have no laptops in your profile or signature.

Not a Desktop - Moved to Laptop Support.

That looks suspiciously like a laptop in your image.
You have no laptops in your profile or signature.

Not a Desktop - Moved to Laptop Support.
The pictures are from a laptop but the issue first occured on my PC, pictures were taken on laptop purely for convenience at that moment. Could you please move it back to Desktop support?

Hey! Ok now I have the pictures. So I manage to boot from the USB made in UNIBEAST but I cannot find an install external device in the menu. Could the problem be that I need to start formating the USB in APFS instead of Apple journal extended?

• I realize from the uploaded images your UEFI USB installer disk is a "No Show" at CBM screen.
    • This can occur if the macOS High Sierra USB Installer is made with current Unibeast as reported by a few with a troubleshoot provided for that as in #4
    • This can also occur if the BIOS is not set properly.
  • I don't have Asus Motherboard to say for sure how a UEFI boot disk has to be setup with the right menu.
  • In the image , I saw a UEFI "Kingston DataTraveler 3.0", presumably your USB installer but the caption shows "Boot Mode is set to Legacy". [See edited image]
    • Is there an option to set Boot Mode as UEFI?
    • Is there an option to set Boot Devices Control as UEFI ?
    • Boot from Storage Devices as UEFI Only?

Attachments

• 1.BIOS Legacy Boot mode UEFI boot disk.png
    1.BIOS Legacy Boot mode UEFI boot disk.png
    350.6 KB · Views: 609
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back