Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Followed Rehabman's Booting the OS X Installer on Laptop's with Clover Guide.

1. Booted from USB.
  2. Clover install screen appears.
  3. Choose to boot from "Install macOS High Sierra" partition.
  4. Error loading kernel cache.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Added -v, -f, -s boot flags.
  7. Same result.

EFI folder attached.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.7 MB · Views: 125
As always, thank you for your reply. I tried again. Was able to install and get to macOS desktop for further post install optimization. However...

I'm unable to boot without the USB. I'm installing High Sierra on a SSD formatted APFS. Using diskutil list, I can see and mount an EFI partition with an EFI folder on the SSD, but it contains none of the kexts, config, etc. There is also a "synthesized" volume containing the macOS install, recovery, preboot, and VM that is separate from the physical volume containing the EFI partition.

So, I'm guessing that the Clover bootloader is missing from the macOS install volume, or something similar?

Can I copy the EFI folder from the USB to the EFI folder on the SSD and be done with it?

Last edited:
As always, thank you for your reply. I tried again. Was able to install and get to macOS desktop for further post install optimization. However...

I'm unable to boot without the USB. I'm installing High Sierra on a SSD formatted APFS. Using diskutil list, I can see and mount an EFI partition with an EFI folder on the SSD, but it contains none of the kexts, config, etc. There is also a "synthesized" volume containing the macOS install, recovery, preboot, and VM that is separate from the physical volume containing the EFI partition.

So, I'm guessing that the Clover bootloader is missing from the macOS install volume, or something similar?

Can I copy the EFI folder from the USB to the EFI folder on the SSD and be done with it?

As per guide, you must install Clover, setup drivers64UEFI, config.plist, kexts/Other just like USB.
Always read carefully... this guide is linked from the Probook guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Then post-install instructions specific to the Probook:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.232948/

Thank you for the reminder and clarification.

The section where the scripts installed the other kexts onto the OS drive confused me. I thought that was installing/moving the previously collected kexts, etc into the EFI partition and that that covered the installation of Clover to the macOS EFI partition as well.

Everything appears to be functioning normally now, except that Intel Power Gadget is reporting zero fluctuation in frequency. Stuck at .8Ghz (screenshot attached).

Per the recommendation in the guide, I used pikeralpha's script to generate the SSDT. While it ran, it seemed to indicate "Broadwell" as my processor type. I'm pretty sure I have a series-7 (Ivy Bridge) chip? I also chose to add "-c 3" when running the script.

Would you recommend re-generating the ssdt using a different procedure?

I'm also slightly confused about how to provide files for your review. The recommended guide's problem reporting seems to indicate that the info provided in my sig and profile, along with the EFI folder (attached) is sufficient. Do I still need to provide other files (ioReg, etc.)?

Attachments

• efi etc.zip
    23.6 MB · Views: 99
Once again, I re-read the section of the guide referencing power management, saw the note about "-w 3" for laptops stuck at x8, re-ran piker's script with "-w 3" and, voila, throttling normally between x12 and x29 (screenshot attached). I'll continue to research if there's a way to set the lowest idle p-state to x8 (imo, preferable for power consumption).

So, as far as I can tell, everything is working as expected now.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Attachments

• Intel power gadget throttling success.png
    Intel power gadget throttling success.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 85
Once again, I re-read the section of the guide referencing power management, saw the note about "-w 3" for laptops stuck at x8, re-ran piker's script with "-w 3" and, voila, throttling normally between x12 and x29 (screenshot attached). I'll continue to research if there's a way to set the lowest idle p-state to x8 (imo, preferable for power consumption).

So, as far as I can tell, everything is working as expected now.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

x12 is expected idle for your Ivy Bridge CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back