i9 9900k
Graphics
6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I ran into a strange issue installing Catalina 10.15.3 on a new build.

Hardware: Gigabyte Aorus Master (firmware 11c), i9 9900K, 64GB 3600Mhz G.SKill RAM, Radeon Saphire 5700 XT Nitro+, 2x Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB m.2
I have build a Clover installer on an USB stick following this guide: https://github.com/cmer/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-hackintosh/blob/master/STEP_BY_STEP.md

Clover configuration works fine, think. I even have the iGPU enabled (headless) successfully. My monitor is connected to the 5700 though.
The installer starts with all the debug output (-v) and then switches to graphics mode.
Then the Catalina installer comes up. I erase and partition (APFS) one of the Evo 970 Plus drives and select it for installation.
The "Installing Catalina" screen comes up and the progress par is progressing for a while (on this setup until it says "12 minutes left").
And then it stops. The mouse freezes and nothing happens anymore.
Left it in this state over night - no change. Re-did the whole thing three times - same result.

I've build a few hackintoshs in my time (a few years back) but I have never seen something fail at this stage.

Has anyone seen an issue like this? Any ideas?

P.S.:
I'm currently investigating in the direction of the Evo 970 Plus firmware, but that is really the only thing I can imagine causing the install to get stuck at this point.

Cheers,

Robie

Last edited:
Never mind. Tried it again, using a different USB port on my board and it worked this time...

Cheers,

Robie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back