Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Can't Install Windows on Different SSD Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the diskutil list after creation
Thanks but this only shows part of the output. Just paste the full output of diskutil list with your disks as they are now. No need for the installer USB to be present.

Last edited:
OK, here is the full output (USB too b/c why not). There is another 1TB hdd in there with windows as you'll see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 11.22.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 11.22.33 AM.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 105
Make sure your 240GB SSD is still mounted as disk0 with diskutil list, then do
Code:
diskutil erasevolume free noname /dev/disk0s4
diskutil erasevolume free noname /dev/disk0s5
diskutil erasevolume free noname /dev/disk0s6
diskutil erasevolume free noname /dev/disk0s7
Reboot to firmware settings, turn off the SATA port connecting the 1TB hdd. Then i would try installing again. Is the Windows bootloader currently installed to the 1TB drive with Clover bootloader installed to the 240GB ssd?

BOOM! Beautiful. Thank you so much.

The issue was the secondary HDD that already had windows on it. When it was no longer visible by the windows installer, the process ran as described in the UEFI guide stickied here.

BOOM! Beautiful. Thank you so much.

The issue was the secondary HDD that already had windows on it. When it was no longer visible by the windows installer, the process ran as described in the UEFI guide stickied here.
Great. I doubt Windows will like the idea of 2 EFI partitions outside of the installer either so might be a good idea to configure the new BCD on the SSD to boot both installations.

im going to wipe the hdd and use it for storage now that windows is on the ssd and bootable. Shouldnt be an issue then right?

I ran into this exact problem today. In my case, my Z87OSX system had two GPT formatted HDDs. Initially, one drive (disk0) had a macOS Sierra install and the other drive (disk1) was HFS+ formatted for data. I followed the multi-boot instructions and resized the HFS+ partition on disk0 to provide space for the Win 10 install.

However, when I ran the Win 10 install, it refused to install, issuing the same message reported earlier in this thread. I had to unplug disk1 and then run the Win 10 install. This all suggests that the installer is not confused by an existing Windows install, rather it is confused by more than one GPT formatted disk being present. One possibility is that the Win 10 installer assumes it is installing in a single disk environment (which probably is the typical configuration).

Whatever the case, it seems easier/safer to disconnect all but the boot drive when building a multi-boot drive like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back