Contribute
Register

[Solved] Can't get Nvidia GTX650 working in a fresh Sierra install

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm.. ok i really don't mind what system def i use, I was simply following two guides elsewhere on the forum, both of which used Mac Pro for this motherboard.

What's the benefit of iMac 14,2? Happy to change it.

hmm.. ok i really don't mind what system def i use, I was simply following two guides elsewhere on the forum, both of which used Mac Pro for this motherboard.

What's the benefit of iMac 14,2? Happy to change it.

Well a Mac Pro 6,1 doesn't have a GTX650 and a Intel Core i5 1150 CPU.

Right, I'll drop out those kexts in the morning, reconfigure as iMac 14,2 and see how I get on.

Been a while since I dabbled with removing kexts from S/L/E - do I still need to rebuild the next cache with something?

Thanks,

Steve

Choosing the SMBIOS is kind of a dark art. As far as I know, choosing iMac14,2, even on a system more closely matching a MacPro6,1, will not result in a slower or less useful system. In a perfect world, you'd look for the SMBIOS most closely matching your hardware but the reality is that Apple does add SMBIOS-specific hooks that cause problems. In short I don't know of a great reason to choose MacPro6,1 or iMac17,1 over iMac14,2, and most guides suggest sticking with iMac14,2 because of fewer headaches.

Never hurts to rebuild kext caches. You can do it by adding a clover boot flag IIRC.

No, the GTX 650 should work out of the box with full acceleration with native drivers and NO injection.

Hi,

I'm on a fresh El Capitan install (not Sierra). My card worked perfect under Mountain Lion (same machine, same components, dual monitor).

I have selected 'inject nvidia'' in multibeast (and did the arg nv_disable=1 when installing otherwise, I would not reach the installer - black screen).

Issue I'm having is different: image is there (haven't tried to reconnect 2nd monitor yet though), but even though system details show 1920 x 1080 (below), and as I am mentioning this in other post - although I'm first trying to get my new install boot from SSD (without need to plug in the USB each time), but for the card (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 which I have) :

- I have graphic on my monitor (HDMI plug), however not full resolution - graphic occupy only part of screen.
- When I log on, there's flickering for a few seconds.
- About this Mac shows the card, but with 0 MB ram ...
- Details in system report:
Chipset Model: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 0 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fc6

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 1.0

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Hi,

I'm on a fresh El Capitan install (not Sierra). My card worked perfect under Mountain Lion (same machine, same components, dual monitor).

I have selected 'inject nvidia'' in multibeast (and did the arg nv_disable=1 when installing otherwise, I would not reach the installer - black screen).

Issue I'm having is different: image is there (haven't tried to reconnect 2nd monitor yet though), but even though system details show 1920 x 1080 (below), and as I am mentioning this in other post - although I'm first trying to get my new install boot from SSD (without need to plug in the USB each time), but for the card (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 which I have) :

- I have graphic on my monitor (HDMI plug), however not full resolution - graphic occupy only part of screen.
- When I log on, there's flickering for a few seconds.
- About this Mac shows the card, but with 0 MB ram ...
- Details in system report:
Chipset Model: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 0 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fc6

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 1.0

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

GTX650 is native. Doesn't require any (Injection). (inject nvidia/false).

GTX650 is native. Doesn't require any (Injection). (inject nvidia/false).
hi do you know if GTX650 TI Boost is native ? having artifact issues and not sure if I should install nvidia drivers

Pretty sure iltbis card is native (accelerated) without Nvidia drivers - I certainly haven't ever installed the Nvidia web drivers with mine and it seems fine.

No graphics tweaks via MultiBeast either. Card works on both DVI outputs (dual monitor)

Pretty sure iltbis card is native (accelerated) without Nvidia drivers - I certainly haven't ever installed the Nvidia web drivers with mine and it seems fine.

No graphics tweaks via MultiBeast either. Card works on both DVI outputs (dual monitor)

Yeah but having TI Boost is different beast, having some horrible artifacts issue like Nvidia 660s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back