Motherboard
Asus Maximus Ranger z170
CPU
intel i7 6700K
Graphics
Asus GTX 960 4GB
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is the thing, First I tried to upgrade a dummy mac os el capitan to sierra which is on a different partition (different harddrive). It is working fine with graphics, audio, shutdown, restart. Then I upgraded the one I use all the time, everything is ok but when I say shutdown or restart, instead of verbose text of shutdown instructions, a blank screen comes and computer stays powered, not shutting down.

I looked at the system.log for the time of shutdown but nothing insteresting like ERROR or FAILURE..

My problem is solved. It seems to be mysql server causes the problem. I disabled the server in settings and restart/shutdown works now.
As I said before I have a working sierra installation and I investigated the differences between. Java-jdk and mysql were the suspects and mysql became guilty.

Many thanks! I had no clue why i couldn't restart or reboot until I found this post, I upgraded to mysql 5.7.17 and it's fixed.
the upgrade was a bit of a pain, I kept some notes, it went something like this:
mysqldump -u root -p --add-drop-table --routines --events --all-databases --force > data-for-upgrade.sql
mysqladmin -u root -p shutdown
download and install new mysql version
cd /usr/local/mysql
went into /usr/local/mysql-5.7.17-macos10.12-x86_64 and renamed data dir to data_bkup
sudo bin/mysqld --initialize --user=mysql
sudo bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/usr/local/mysql-5.7.17-macos10.12-x86_64/data
mysql -u root -p
mysql> ALTER USER USER() IDENTIFIED BY 'your new password';
mysql> exit;
mysql -u root -p --force < ~/Desktop/data-for-upgrade.sql
sudo mysql_upgrade -u root -p

I tried to get it all, hopefully I didn't miss anything. I made a bkup using carbon copy cloner in case anything went wrong, but didn't need to use it as I can reboot now no problem!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back