Contribute
Register

[Solved] Attempting System restart...MACH Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case try editing your ACPI section "Drop Tables" with added SSDTs as shown in the uploaded image and save config.plist ( 2nd arrow on bottom left panel of CCV windows to get a Save or Save as.. dialog box > Save in config to Replace>>> OK to affirm
Every answer from me is based on your input: the less images from monitor you upload the less accurate will be my response.
Forum troubleshoot is Verbose boot screen based. Anything else is a hit or miss based solely on probability of what each troubleshooter has seen in the past and not based on evidence.

• Please DISCONNECT all disks from motherboard SATA ports EXCEPT the blank one for HS as the target.
  • Please REMOVE all Storage disks from USB ports including any Printers except the High Sierra UEFI USB installer disk.
    • They are all distractions for the Installer disk .
    • They all will be sniffed and queried by the USB installer and the Installer can get caught up if anything in their file system has a problem.
Edited to add:

Your MoBo documentation from webpage shows the images of your Front Panel Pin connectors as shown in the uploaded images.

• In a good case there will be cables (wires) coming from switches and lights to theses connectors,
The lights are :
    • Power LED : when the computer is Powered ON the LED blinks and lights up steady .
    • HDD LED : on the case front bezel will start to flash when fast file transfers occur from RAM to disk or in reverse.
  • Similarly a Good Flash drive will have an LED that will flash to indicate whether it is receiving or downloading files to or from it.View attachment 314229 View attachment 314230 View attachment 314230
The case i have is a ThermalTake Versa N21
I will have check the case to try to find the HDD led
it does have the pin things that go on the motherboard and they are plugged in, as there is a led under the power button that illuminates then the computer is on.
I will report back once i figure this out

In that case try editing your ACPI section "Drop Tables" with added SSDTs as shown in the uploaded image and save config.plist ( 2nd arrow on bottom left panel of CCV windows to get a Save or Save as.. dialog box > Save in config to Replace>>> OK to affirm

My case does in fact have LED for the HDD, however, it is not flashing at all and to my knowledge has not flashed throughout this entire process
I went into the case and disconnected all of the the litter header things from the motherboard and replaced them (pw led, pw sw, HDD Led, and reset sw.

i removed the SSD from the case and attached it to my laptop via a SATA adapter and my laptop had not issues formating (earlier when i formatted to APFS) and reading the drive. there is a small led inside the SSD showing this is receiving power.
My mobo recognizes the drive and i even switched the SATA cable from the SSD to the mobo.

Then i came back and saw your lastest comment and made the changes.

The issue persists. it seems like my SSD isnt being read or written to.
(I do not have another USB drive on had to try at the moment but i will tomorrow morning.)
attaching config to be sure everything is correct

Edit: added verbose images

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 240
  • FAA4DD47-A3C9-42E9-AC3E-8451A26DDD88.jpeg
    FAA4DD47-A3C9-42E9-AC3E-8451A26DDD88.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 199
  • C9F5FD93-218C-40B2-B011-4CF891E0CDE4.jpeg
    C9F5FD93-218C-40B2-B011-4CF891E0CDE4.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 161
  • 2CDDE0CA-FE0D-47F8-90EA-96E99140A903.jpeg
    2CDDE0CA-FE0D-47F8-90EA-96E99140A903.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 177
  • 7C0F608B-2D6B-40FE-BB45-E8034554D1AB.jpeg
    7C0F608B-2D6B-40FE-BB45-E8034554D1AB.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 151
  • 86A78568-47CD-4CB6-A478-34B5A741F029.jpeg
    86A78568-47CD-4CB6-A478-34B5A741F029.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 150
  • CC303FEB-2ECC-4B46-A728-C5DCD8354090.jpeg
    CC303FEB-2ECC-4B46-A728-C5DCD8354090.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 150
  • 652C3D0B-1297-41F2-931C-ED58342D950F.jpeg
    652C3D0B-1297-41F2-931C-ED58342D950F.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 158
  • 4F105974-A166-4908-8F1C-D94DC77B9831.jpeg
    4F105974-A166-4908-8F1C-D94DC77B9831.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
My case does in fact have LED for the HDD, however, it is not flashing at all and to my knowledge has not flashed throughout this entire process
I went into the case and disconnected all of the the litter header things from the motherboard and replaced them (pw led, pw sw, HDD Led, and reset sw.

i removed the SSD from the case and attached it to my laptop via a SATA adapter and my laptop had not issues formating (earlier when i formatted to APFS) and reading the drive. there is a small led inside the SSD showing this is receiving power.
My mobo recognizes the drive and i even switched the SATA cable from the SSD to the mobo.

Then i came back and saw your lastest comment and made the changes.

(I do not have another USB drive on had to try at the moment but i will tomorrow morning.)

Edit: added verbose images

• It looks like we did not communicate with each other properly.
  • In the absence of the currently uploaded verbose boot screen images, all I had to go by was through what you were typing in to convey to me about the progress (or lack there of) of your USB booting.
  • Please remember , you started with an almost immediate fatal boot error "MACH Reboot "
  • We were troubleshooting that by identifying various deficiencies in your CLOVER/kexts and config.plist.
  • After a few changes , I knew you should have overcome that MACH Reboot error while in your thread #11 you said no change..
  • In thread #19 you tried to type in what you thought was a fatal error and I did not think so. Clover during boot seems to "talk to self" frequently muttering about small problems it finds and then 'talks about' how it is circumventing that etc. To the uninitiated , it may appear like a failed boot while it is actually a 'normal progression.
  • That is the precise reason to upload verbose boot image to have it reviewed by those who can diagnose issues based on images.
  • Later you uploaded the image that did show a lot of progress.
  • It is at that time I asked about visual clues of file exchange between devices.
  • You or anyone reading this post should realize that during the USB installer boot what the installer does is to query the devices it meets while booting and self checking if it has the driver and special instructions to communicate with them and use them to progress the boot toward the Installation screen to open its Disk Utility and find the Target HDD/SSD and first erase (partition/format) the disk and then dump on it the MacOS High Sierra System files kept as extremely highly compressed format .
  • Until this time ie from CBM screen to Installation screen, the macOS High Sierra Installer USB can only communicate with various devices on the MoBo (if proper kexts are there) your target SSD is still a bit away for the Installer.
  • If all the needed kexts are not there in "Other" folder, or wrong kexts have been filled inside /CLOVER/kexts/Other or wrong instructions are edited in the config.plist or needed one missed, if the USB installer was to be booted WITHOUT verbose boot all you can see is an Apple on a progress bar hardly moving!
  • If it were a verbose boot , it may show errors like "MACH Reboot" or several other kinds, an expert can recognize.
  • Sometimes even when everything is going on well the Display Screen may appear as if nothing is progressing. This is worrisome for the Newbies and even to the "pros" . It is in those occasions an LED light helps.
  • If the USB has a good flashing LED indicating file transfer, it is a good sign.
  • The HDD LED will begin its display only after macOS Installation begins. Even during that time the screen may appear to be static.HDD LED then helps to calm us down.
  • I wanted you to remove unnecessary disks from your system to reduce clutter and confusion.
  • Your 1 SSD with APFS was causing a confusion on a verbose boot image , because I was unaware that you already had. formatted SSD in that PC until you later confirmed its presence.
  • Your sole SSD has not had any chance to receive files yet. That will only happen after it gets formatted.
  • I hope things may be little bit clearer after you read this.
  • Anytime you think the booting is not progressing based on what you see on the monitor take an image and upload.
  • Anytime the system shuts down or reboots all of a sudden, before the hard disk is formatted, that is indicating a problem most likely with config.plist.
  • Best data you can provide is a good verbose boot image just before or coinciding with any such major events.

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing everything up.

The last thing i can see before the text scrolls too fast is:
"CodecCommander: Stopping due to codec profile disable flag"

Also: i now have a USB stick with an LED that indicates when files are being written and read

Thank you for clearing everything up.

The last thing i can see before the text scrolls too fast is:
"CodecCommander: Stopping due to codec profile disable flag"

Also: i now have a USB stick with an LED that indicates when files are being written and read
now have a USB stick with an LED that indicates when files are being written and read
Do you want to try booting with it in verbose mode and posting the progress as you perceive supplemented with Screen shots uploaded to make readers understand what is displayed on your Monitor screen you are describing in the text?

Do you want to try booting with it in verbose mode and posting the progress as you perceive supplemented with Screen shots uploaded to make readers understand what is displayed on your Monitor screen you are describing in the text?

Sure, This is what i see when I attempt to install in verbose mode.

Edit: Took a burst shot with my phone and was able to capture screen right before reboot

Attachments

• IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Sure, This is what i see when I attempt to install in verbose mode.

Edit: Took a burst shot with my phone and was able to capture screen right before reboot
I have uploaded 2 edited images.
I suggest checking EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and removing Codec Commander and with that USB installer reboot in Verbose and recheck for boot progress.

Attachments

• 1.AppleACPIPlatformExpert and CodecCommander.png
    1.AppleACPIPlatformExpert and CodecCommander.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 228
  • 2.kexts:Other.png
    2.kexts:Other.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 288
I have uploaded 2 edited images.
I suggest checking EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and removing Codec Commander and with that USB installer reboot in Verbose and recheck for boot progress.

now the same thing happens, except the Codec Commander part. see attached

EDIT: Added EFI folder

Attachments

• IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 126
  • EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
now the same thing happens, except the Codec Commander part. see attached

EDIT: Added EFI folder
I saw new changes you had made on config >ACPI/BOOT/Graphics. What verbose boot error prompted to making those changes?
See edited screen shots to reverse changes.
2.Boot.png
3.Graphics.png
1.ACPI.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back