Contribute
Register

Sleeping my hack but random reboots when woken

Hi Edhawk

Having another look at USBPort.kext and wonder whether you can please clarify my previous questions:

Are you saying that all “USB 3” ports although showing as HS should be changed to USB3 in Hackintool?
(HS01 – USB3.1 Gen2 and HS05 and HS06 – USB 3.1 Gen 1, on the back panel: and HS04 – F-USB30 from the motherboard [on your photo “USB3 internal(3)] to front right)

I have certainly tried a “The New beginner’s Guide to USB Port Configuration” but found Hackintool easier to understand and use. It would seem that is not working either, your guidance using Hackintool to implement your suggestions would be appreciated.

I have removed USBPort.kext and gone back to USBInjectAll.kext (the 999th time of trying) to see what happens. It is as is eg all designated USB3. No good or bad outcome so far.

In hackintool if I press the ‘inject’ icon I get lots of SS ports (which I deleted to create my USBPort.kext).

When I plug in a USB 3.0 thumb drive (Cruzer Glide) it only shows in HS port. It has never shown up in any of the SS ports.

Please see the attached screenshot.

If the problem of rebooting instead of waking (randomly!!!!!) is something to do with USB configuration does the above given any hints as to the solution?

Attachments

• Hackintool USB 29-2-24.jpg
    Hackintool USB 29-2-24.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 2
I have removed USBPort.kext and gone back to USBInjectAll.kext (the 999th time of trying) to see what happens. It is as is eg all designated USB3. No good or bad outcome so far.

In hackintool if I press the ‘inject’ icon I get lots of SS ports (which I deleted to create my USBPort.kext).

When I plug in a USB 3.0 thumb drive (Cruzer Glide) it only shows in HS port. It has never shown up in any of the SS ports.

Please see the attached screenshot.

If the problem of rebooting instead of waking (randomly!!!!!) is something to do with USB configuration does the above given any hints as to the solution?
good guide here:

As per post #11 been-there-done-that.
Hackintool is supposed to do the same so in danger of being a squeaky wheel I would very grateful if you would answer the questions I asked at post #11.

As per post #11 been-there-done-that.
Hackintool is supposed to do the same so in danger of being a squeaky wheel I would very grateful if you would answer the questions I asked at post #11.
then yes, if for example you plug a usb2 device and a HS port lights up and then plug a usb3 device in and the corresponding SS port lights up, ie HS01 and SS01 then you will set both HS and SS port as USB3
this is also mentioned in the guide I linked you....

when you mentioned:
I have certainly tried a “The New beginner’s Guide to USB Port Configuration” but found Hackintool easier to understand and use.

the guide uses hackintool so not sure what you are trying to say here....

Looking at the last EFI you uploaded I see you have only enabled the HS** USB2 ports, none of the SS** USB3 ports. Any reason?

At least you have set HS14 to USB Connector type "255" which given it is probably the BT connection, is correct.

If you have the Gaming 3 version of the motherboard note that the 4, black ports on the back panel are USB2-only and should have a USB Connector type value of "0" . The other. Type-A's are "3" and the Type-C is probably " 9" .

If you have created a new one since - as the above screengrab might indicate - perhaps review it, or attach it.

:)

PS - an iMac19,2 system-definition might be a better fit than MacPro6,1 .

Last edited:
Hi Feartech

"the guide uses hackintool so not sure what you are trying to say here".
Sorry to clarify I understand from many credible help sites that I only need to use Hackintool

-----

I apologise, I realised after sending the last post that the questions I was asking were originally asked of Edhawk not yourself.

I don’t mind though who gives me good answers.

I believe I have created a proper USBPort.kext but Edhawk thought I hadn’t and I was therefore trying to understand where he was coming from. So if Edhawk reads this I would again be very grateful for his clarification.

-----------------

As I said the USB3 thumb does not light up the SS port I don’t know whether that is significant or not hence post #12

Yes it is significant. When you insert a USB3 pen drive in a USB3 port an SSxx port should be highlighted in Hackintool.

There are a few reasons why this doesn’t happen.
  1. The USB3 ports have been disabled in the Bios.
  2. You are using a USB2 pen drive, not a USB3 drive.
  3. The USB3 pen drive is defective and only works/connects at USB2 speed.
  4. A USB helper kext or SSDT is present in your configuration and disabling the USB3 ports.
Without a lot more knowledge about your setup it is impossible for me to give you a clearer or more definitive answer.

Looking at the last EFI you uploaded I see you have only enabled the HS** USB2 ports, none of the SS** USB3 ports. Any reason?

At least you have set HS14 to USB Connector type "255" which given it is probably the BT connection, is correct.

If you have the Gaming 3 version of the motherboard note that the 4, black ports on the back panel are USB2-only and should have a USB Connector type value of "0" . The other. Type-A's are "3" and the Type-C is probably " 9" .

If you have created a new one since - as the above screengrab might indicate - perhaps review it, or attach it.

:)

PS - an iMac19,2 system-definition might be a better fit than MacPro6,1 .
Thanks UtterDisbelief

The reason is when I plug in the USB3 thumb it does not show up as an SS just an HS. So as to reduce to <15 ports I removed the SS ones believing them to be of no use. In all the physical ports I have on my hack both USB2 and USB3 thumb are seen and useable.

Glad to get confirmation that HS14 is correct at 255.

I have been informed that the subject of this post is caused by an incorrect USBPort.kext but I am trying to understand and get help in understanding why, as I think it is correct.
(Just to clarify I am using Clover)

iMac19,2 cf MacPro6,1: been there done that too. Even created iMac19,1 SMBIOS. Although the hack will boot only the one screen works – from memory DVI(Post #8) and in the too hard basket to attempt to fix.

I have not created another USBPort kext but using, for the time being, just USBInjectAll.kext as a repeat experiment.

Yes it is significant. When you insert a USB3 pen drive in a USB3 port an SSxx port should be highlighted in Hackintool.

There are a few reasons why this doesn’t happen.
  1. The USB3 ports have been disabled in the Bios.
  2. You are using a USB2 pen drive, not a USB3 drive.
  3. The USB3 pen drive is defective and only works/connects at USB2 speed.
  4. A USB helper kext or SSDT is present in your configuration and disabling the USB3 ports.
Without a lot more knowledge about your setup it is impossible for me to give you a clearer or more definitive answer.
Thanks Edhawk
1. Will check tomorrow but unaware of it
2. It says Cruzer Glide 3.0
3. I had thought in the last couple of days it might be faulty and have checked out where I can buy a Sandisk Ultra Shift 3 thumb
4. Wouldn't have a clue - nothing I have intentionally done

Is there further information you would like about my Hack that would be of use?

Late here so I'll follow this up tomorrow.

Back