Contribute
Register

Sign in app store issues after 10.6.8 & Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surfi said:
Hello.

I am very frustrated with this problem...I tried the EFI Studio solution, tried deleting network preferences and almost everything I found but nothing worked.
Any idea what else can I try?

Thank you!

I spent hours deleting and reconfiguring the network preferences. Nothing worked until the EFI Studio bit.

Just to be clear:
1) EFI Studio is actually identifying your ethernet port and generating a hex string, now?

2) you ARE getting the EFI Studio info into your Chameleon boot .plist as a device-properties STRING entry, right? I'm sure you are. And, you have the EthernetBuiltIn=Yes entry in your .plist file? and your ethernet port is actually WORKING well?

3) you do have your ethernet port showing up as Eth0 and your wifi card as Eth1? While getting that straight was NOT sufficient to make things work, it may be necessary. As I did the EFI Studio bit on SL last (after getting my Eth0 associated w my ethernet port), I can't say if using EFI Studio first would have worked on my system. I CAN say, however, that after installing Lion, my network configuration was fine, but I had no Apple Store access until I did the EFI Studio bit.

No other suggestions at the moment. Good luck.

I should (and may) post this as a new topic, as finding a solution in threads which have run as long as this one can be difficult.

But, here's what I've learned and what might help others in getting access to the App Store. Stay with me while I discourse a bit on the nature of the problem.

1) This is problem is ubiquitous to users of OS X, and affects those using Mac hardware as well as those using unconventional platforms.

2) I've seen no comprehensive explanation as to why this problem occurs, nor has Apple (as far as I can ascertain) provided any effective guidance for getting it sorted. If anyone can provide a link to such guidance, please post it.

3) Typically, the lack of assess is associated with configuration anomalies. Specifically, Eth0 is assigned to the AirPort WiFi port, and Eth1 is associated with the (usually) built-in ethernet port.

4) In my experience, the reversal of expected port assignments (Eth0 & Eth1) between Ethernet and WiFi adapter occurs at installation when there is no CONNECTED Ethernet port. It might happen otherwise as well, but that's MY experience.

5) On the single occasion when my installation was done with my Ethernet port connected to my router, there was no confusion between Eth0/Ethernet and Eth1/WiFi.

6) Item 5) not withstanding, having appropriate associations between Eth0 and Ethernet and between Eth1 and WiFi has proven NECESSARY but NOT SUFFICIENT to get App Store access.

Here's what has worked for me:

1) Make sure that you've got the proper associations between Eth0 and Eth1 and the respective ports. You can take a peek at this in System Preferences -> Network. However, while this view might tell you if things are WRONG, it won't necessarily tell you if things are CORRECT. When things have been reversed, my system has reported my AirPort card as Eth0 and my Ethernet as Eth1 in System Preferences -> Network view.

2) A better way to look at things is in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. If you have installed XCode, this file will open in the default plist editor. Otherwise, use another one unless you love dealing with the raw code.

3) NetworkInterfaces.plist typically will have TWO (2) entries of interest (creatively named Item 0 and Item 1) , assuming you've got both wired and wireless network interfaces. It's pretty straight-forward to inspect the entries and tell if things are right (or reversed). If BSD = En0 and IOPathMatch = IOEthernetInterface, etc, etc, then you should be good. Similarly, your second entry (Item 1) should be for your wireless adapter. (I have noticed that the BSD Name assigned by the installer is variable. On MY system, I've seen both eth0/1 and en0/1 on different installs. I'm not sure that the alpha-portion of the name matters, really, but the numeric portion seems to).

4) Make sure your entries are not reversed. This is where the confusion appears to be centered. If things are reversed (and YOU should be able to ascertain if that's the case by inspecting your plist file), then it should be obvious what needs to be done to fix these entries. But, I'll be explicit.

5) There are FIVE (5) unique string values in each of the two Items in my plist file. The other string values are common to both items. Only the unique strings are of interest and only THREE (3) these need to be changed. But, the items that matter are:

BSD Name (don't change this - value will be eth0/1 or en0/1)

IOInterfaceUnit (don't change this - value will be 0/1 and mirrors value of BSD Name)

IOMACAddress (just the MAC address of the respective adapter)

IOPathMatch (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX6@1C,6/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/AppleRTL8169Ethernet/IOEthernetInterface) and (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX0@1C/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,432b@0/AirPort_Brcm4331/AirPort_Brcm4331_Interface) were the values for the Ethernet and AirPort card, respectively.

SCNetworkInterfaceType (Ethernet or IEEE80211, for Ethernet and WiFi adapters)

DON"T copy the values I used above . They are for illustration only. Yours are probably very different.

6) With FIVE (5) variables here, there are lots of ways to get things really mixed up, ways that your installer program never imagined! So, BE CAREFUL when getting this business straightened out, or you'll end up with some serious confusion. If you don't know how to edit plist files, I suggest you learn how before trying this. You'll need some sort of scratch buffer to keep from losing track of strings, and the editor won't let you move from an invalid (empty) string entry w/o populating it.

7) Basically, it's not that hard. You really only want to swap THREE (3) string values between ITEM 0 and ITEM 1, LEAVING the BSD Name and IOInterfaceUnit with their original associations (Item 0 for en0 and Item 1 with en1). It's the OTHER THREE (3) string values that need to be moved between the two items.

8) I suggest you drag a copy of your plist file to your desktop and edit it there so you'll automatically have necessary privileges to save it. You can then drag it back to the original folder when you've got it the way you want it. Save that original first, though...

9) Not sure it matters or not, but I trash both com.apple.airport.preference.plist and preferences.plist. They'll be recreated. Some instructions advise to delete the file we've just been editing (NetworkInterfaces.plist), but that never worked for me. It WILL be recreated if deleted, but has always been recreated with the original confusion when I tried that. EDIT it instead, as suggested.

10) Got everything in place? Go ahead and reboot.

11) Chances are you STILL cannot access the App Store.

12) Here's the final magic for me. Get EFI Studio and let it find the "device-properties" string for your ethernet interface. For those of you who have my exact mobo, mine is:

4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600061c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001

13) EFI Studio will offer to write this string to the original (and unused) com.apple.Boot.plist or some such file. The added entry is one you'll need to copy to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. Or you can do it by hand once you've got the string value.

14) EthernetBuiltIn=Yes is probably already in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. Add it if it's not, if you like. Not sure it's required.

15) Reboot. You DID backup everything. Right?

16) NOW try to access App Store. I've found that once I've been to the App Store successfully that removal of the device-properties entry didn't prevent subsequent login to the App Store. No idea why it's needed at all nor why only once for me.

Hope this helps. Remember, for me at least, I had to have my configuration file sorted AND had to add the device-properties string added to org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Cheers,

Thanxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slammermx said:
Thanxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tone of your response is suggestive. Did this work for you? Inquiring minds want to know...

DelhiHackintosh said:
slammermx said:
Thanxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tone of your response is suggestive. Did this work for you? Inquiring minds want to know...
I think thanxx means Thanks, nothing suggestive.
People are here for help and if it doesn't work for them they say it right out that it did not.

Thank you big time!!! I was searching for this fix for a long time. U R the BEST!

eelhead said:
I think thanxx means Thanks, nothing suggestive.
People are here for help and if it doesn't work for them they say it right out that it did not.

I meant suggestive of success! :oops: Sorry for the confusion. Looks like the approach is working for others as well, so I'm pleased to know it is helpful. It was a real thrash figuring it out.

Thank you Mr.DelhiHackintosh! damn...after days of banging my head on this issue on my newly built hackintosh your post just helped me big time. that's 1 out of 2 of my problem down. Awesome.

2nd problem if you can help is I have a dualboot machine win 7 is installed on a separate drive but chameleon won't see it at boot... the only way I could boot my Win 7 is through pressing F12 all the time. :(

ttoykodai said:
Thank you Mr.DelhiHackintosh! damn...after days of banging my head on this issue on my newly built hackintosh your post just helped me big time. that's 1 out of 2 of my problem down. Awesome.

Glad it helped! It was a royal pain to get sorted initially.

ttoykodai said:
2nd problem if you can help is I have a dualboot machine win 7 is installed on a separate drive but chameleon won't see it at boot... the only way I could boot my Win 7 is through pressing F12 all the time. :(

You'll find plenty of help in this forum, but you'll get it most readily by trolling in those which are relevant to your problem or posting a new thread w detailed info about your specific problem. Piggy-backing onto a dedicated thread will most likely get you 1) ignored 2) gently flamed or 3) kindly re-directed to post elsewhere in a relevant thread or to start your own. Cheers,

EthernetBuiltIn key worked for me! I may just take the plunge and try upgrading to Lion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back