Contribute
Register

Sierra - Security Update 2017-001 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am still struggeling with this Security Update.
i have uninstalled the webdriver, and removed the Geforce GTX750 Card. Changed to MacPro 5.1- Did the Security Update via AppStore, during reboot disabeling NVA Driver in Clover.......
..still infinitite reboots... reconstructed the old state with CCC.

any help will be appreciated, any hints in this post i have tried.

This update is starting to give me flashbacks to the one for El Capitan, which led me KPs and eventually Sierra.

Tried to install it twice, with it failing to install the update for some reason. Which is what happened a bunch of times with El Capitan, until I forced it to install...and then...well, downgrade made a mess of my system, so ended up upgrade and restore... Which jumped me straight to 10.12.6... Not sure I want to make the leap to the next level yet.

Maybe I should see about a real mac (other than my first generation MacBookPro, which needs a new HD...) as backup, should all my ... get killed off by another security update.

Ok, I got it to install, and everything seems to be working.... I had noticed during second attempt that it needed to download 767MB for the update, but hadn't thought much of it.

Later I was looking through the logs and noticed it kept saying ~4.3GB of space is needed for the update....though I couldn't see what its issue was (I have 275GB free on system disk, and 1TB free on other disk....and 3.7TB free on my Time Machine disk.)

But, then I stumbled across a post that it needed that free space to be in /tmp, which wasn't the case since I've been doing the small ramdisk as /tmp trick (too bad there's no real tmpfs, yet.) So, on my hacks...its just a 256MB ramdisk (out of 16GB)....

Yet, I had done the upgrade to a real iMac with this ramdisk trick....though its using a 512MB ramdisk (out of 32GB -- and 2TB SSHD), a mid-2011 that I'm planning to turn into a server (since it has two legacy firewire attached Drobo's...)

But, it also looked like the 767MB -> 4.3GB update is a rollup patch, since I saw messages of it skipping updates as what I had installed was already much newer ...like it skipped Safari 10.1.2 because I have 11.0.1...along with nothing for smcupdater to do, since my FakeSMC is current-ish... not sure what ssdupdater did (or didn't do with its exit code of 255), or why there was a usbcupdater (which failed as no support for my boardid). The latter 3 done by FirmwareUpdateLauncher...

Guess I can continue with Sierra a little while longer.... now to repatch some kexts and do the update of my other hack.

Though I still have the issue of certain website videos locking up my nuMAc (haven't tried those sites with my other build or anywhere else come to think of it.)

Still wishing I had something wth thunderbolt.... next build I guess...

after update got this panic
i have exactly the same boot"text" except another System Def. Untill now i havent managed to install the Security Update Have you solved your problem?

C0EFCF96-4C26-4EC5-92B6-B7643CC7CB6A.jpeg
after update got this panic

Same for me! Grr

Any idea how to fix?

Last edited:
The update installed successfully for me (about three weeks ago) but it now takes about three minutes to boot the system. If I boot in verbose mode then I get:

OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no

Then it sits there for about two minutes with the hard drive light on. Eventually it continues to boot up successfully.

Has anyone else run into this? I've found several posts from people where they're getting that message on install and it's then just going into a reboot loop, but I haven't been able to find any references to it being caused by the update. I'm running Clover 4003 and my other specs are in my profile.

Any suggestions?

I didn't do my research before running this update and now I have panics every time I try to boot. I get to the apple logo screen, my machine sits for a minute or two, and then turns off. I have no idea what to do. Here's what I get when I run verbose.

Attachments

• 20171126_125531.jpg
    20171126_125531.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 121
I didn't do my research before running this update and now I have panics every time I try to boot. I get to the apple logo screen, my machine sits for a minute or two, and then turns off. I have no idea what to do. Here's what I get when I run verbose.
It looks like your HDD/SSD is corrupt or defective.
Try booting from the recovery partition and then run First Aid in Disk Utility.
You can also do the same from a USB installer.

It looks like your HDD/SSD is corrupt or defective.
Try booting from the recovery partition and then run First Aid in Disk Utility.
You can also do the same from a USB installer.
I ran First Aid, as you instructed. First Aid was unable to repair my SSD. Is it safe to say that ill need to reformat my SSD and start form scratch? Or, is there anything else I can try?

Attachments

• 20171126_144846.jpg
    20171126_144846.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 124
I ran First Aid, as you instructed. First Aid was unable to repair my SSD. Is it safe to say that ill need to reformat my SSD and start form scratch? Or, is there anything else I can try?

Boot into single user mode (-s) and run the following:

Code:
fsck_hfs -y -Rc -d /dev/disk0s2
If at the end of it running it fails to fix all issues, just run it again and it will make another pass and complete the repair.
Reboot and you're done.
Of course, disk0s2 is the location of my particular HDD, and yours may differ. You need to work that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back