Contribute
Register

Sierra - Security Update 2017-001 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this officially came out yesterday, and since it addresses a lot of CVEs, including KRACK, this is gonna be pretty important to a lot of Sierra and El Cap users.

Fortunately, it seems NVIDIA webdrivers just got an update to 378.05.05.25f03, at least on the updater source there. And 25f03 is for MacOS 16G1036 (the beta was 16G1033), so it seems the new drivers should work. Find them in the downloads link from this site, or they should show up automatically in the NVIDIA driver manager.

With the update still in beta, I got past the webdriver issue by editing, but it wasn't without some reboots.

I am renaming the thread since it is no longer a beta update but officially out.

And mods, thanks for moving it to the proper subforum. sorry.

Well, this officially came out yesterday, and since it addresses a lot of CVEs, including KRACK, this is gonna be pretty important to a lot of Sierra and El Cap users.

Fortunately, it seems NVIDIA webdrivers just got an update to 378.05.05.25f03, at least on the updater source there. And 25f03 is for MacOS 16G1036 (the beta was 16G1033), so it seems the new drivers should work. Find them in the downloads link from this site, or they should show up automatically in the NVIDIA driver manager.

What should I do first to be safe?

- First install the security update 2017-001 10.12.6
- Reboot or NOT reboot?
- Then install the NVIDIA-web-driver?

Well, I am not sure about the proper procedure. What I did worked, though, via a couple of reboots. I am sure you have to actually reboot for the proper installation of any kernel update to work correctly, it installs upon next boot, not in the background. And the Nvidia installer won't allow the install until it recognises an allowed OS version.

I installed the Security update
disabled my router (with the .25f03 nvidia driver already downloaded before) just to be safe regarding iCloud and changing HW
rebooted with with Nvidia pref panel set to OS X Default driver (and with Clover set to NVidiaWebdrivers disabled)
now running in VESA mode, I installed the new NVIDIA drivers, rebooted
made sure both the prefpane and clover are set back to use web drivers
and it worked perfectly (after a couple of reboots). Apart from the Dell monitor not liking it at first as usual and glitching (turning it off and on again helped).

All in all, pretty much easier than inserting an old helper card to update the drivers like in real MacPro.

OK - I did pretty much the same as fx600:

1 - Change to OS X Default Graphics Driver" in the NVIDIA-pane
-> System asks to reboot -> Hit: Not now!
2 - Install the security update 2017-001 10.12.6 from the app-store
-> system reboots automatically & installs the update
3 - Clover: Press spacebar, uncheck NVIDIAWebDriver, check VESA driver (for NVIDIA)
-> Boot into OSX with these settings
4 - Login. In my case I went through a kind of system-setup process, where I typically uncheck SIRI, iCloud an the like, because I don´t trust any big-brother-cloud-services out there. Do what you like & prefer there.
5 - After some seconds the NVIDIA-driver recognized that the "OS X default driver" was in use - I ignored that, because of messing around with iCloud. After again some seconds the NVIDIA-driver pupped up with a driver update for the current (now updated) system, which I installed.
6 - Reboot with ordinary Clover-settings. System runs for far again with security update & NVIDIA WebDrivers.

OK - I did pretty much the same as fx600:

3 - Clover: Press spacebar, uncheck NVIDIAWebDriver, check VESA driver (for NVIDIA)
@walaw
sorry, in Clover Options i cant find the option to check VESA driver, i have unchecked the NVIDIAWebDriver and got that panic again. Any tipps fpr me? Thanks for help

@gunnilla, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back