Contribute
Register

Setup Guide for Gigabyte BRIX and BRIX Pro using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! First post from me here.

I've been a Windows for ages, but the past two years I've been leaning more and more towards the fruit company. My laptop is replaced by a MBPr 13, i put a Mac Mini in my kid's room and my wife loves her 27 iMac, even though its a mid-2011 without SSD (ssssh..) So, I was going to replace my desktop for home/office@home use...and I though I'd stick to Windows, but after stumbling over this site I'm not so sure anymore. So, tomorrow I'm getting my Brix i7-4770 delivered, together with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD + 16GB ram. From what I've read here I should be good to go to install Yosemite on this hardware?

Any tips, tricks & hints I should be aware of, or should I download Clover, cross my fingers and hope for the best (after reading the last few pages here one more time, that is..)?

Follow the clover install at the beginning of this thread, which links to the main clover install page. Yosemite will work so I wouldn't start with Mavericks if you don't want to. You should be able to create a bootable thumb drive, boot from it install Yosemite, boot from it again and install clover on your new drive and then it should start to work.

You will want to change your WIFI card. I could never get the one HeadKaze got working to work in all cases so I bought one that works out of the box and a USB BT dongle. I rarely use/need BT. It doesn't have good range, but I don't care.

HeadKaze AzureWave Card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HRFS1GQ/ ( I couldn't get everything working on this one, probably because I'm lazy).

BT dongle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MKMJGO/ (there is a longer range model that might perform better)
WIFI card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JESLUWQ/
Both are seriously just plug n' play once you get into OS X.

Once those are sorted out, you need to work on the sound. Just above here HeadKaze posted a working plist file.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...rix-brix-pro-using-clover-16.html#post1033768
And then a link in that discussion to how to install the right SSDT file:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-brix-brix-pro-using-clover-7.html#post924975

Once you get that, you should have everything working on your system except iMessage.
The guide for that is here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
It is difficult to follow in places (if you ask me). First suggestion is to not login to any apple services when you boot up. No iCloud. No iMessages. Wait until you go through the whole tutorial first. You need to set up many things in your clover configurator before you can do iMessage. If you login, you run the risk of them finding out what you're doing and locking you out like you read on that forum link.
You need to make sure you have a SmUUID, Board Serial Number, Serial Number, and the Rt variables are set (ROM and MLB). The most similar system is the iMac 14,1 because of the 4770R chip.

Turn off automatic updates in the App Store App preferences so it doesn't install something that will break your system. I would check the forums before updating. I'm running 10.10.3 with no major issues. I've had the sound go out a few times, but a reboot fixes it. Alternatively, I've bought some USB sound cards that work out of the box: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ5AV8I/

The only downside to my approach is that I have run out of USB ports and need a hub for the KB&M, sound card and BT. That frees up ports for USB drives and whatnot.

I wish Apple had released something like this. It has power and is barely bigger than a Mac Mini (height, but smaller L x W by a long shot). The fan is "loud". I sit right next to mine and can hear it, but I don't care. The power of the chip is awesome. It's even decent for gaming (think PS3/360 level, not PS4/XBone) thanks to the Iris Pro 5200. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent write-up! Thanks a bunch :thumbup: I'll let you know how it all turns out, think I'll get a new WIFI card before I start then. Looks like it should all be doable ;)

So far, so pretty good. Yosemite 10.10.3 up and running after reading a few guides here and getting a little kick from bhive's last post :)

I'm now running Yosemite on a 250GB 850EVO SSD SATA + I have a 120GB 850EVO mSATA with my previous Win 7 installation. Dual booting works perfectly from the Clover Boot screen. I'm moving my Win7 installation over to OS X with Parallels now though. Nice to have all my old crap available :)

At the moment I only have one issue - I think (apart from iMessage, which I'll probably just use on my MBPr). I'm running two 1920x1080 monitors, they're getting quite old and only have VGA and DVI inputs. I got one running with a HDMI->DVI adapter (works great) and the other one with a DP->VGA adapter... in Windows everything works, but in OS X the secondary monitor is recognised as 1280x800. My graphics card is correctly identified as "Intel Iris Pro 1536MB". Any help here would be appreciated :)

Edit: I tried SwitchResX, i could change to pretty much whatever I wanted, but when selecting 1920x1080 the screen went black. I'm running 1920x1200 now, looks a bit stretched of course, but it's better than 1280x800.

Sound does not work, but I've seen a thread on how to fix it, so that's probably doable. Should I install Multibeast by the way? Or will it do more harm than good? Most things are pretty much up and running, apart from the things I mentioned. BT + WIFI aren't working though, but I never use BT and I got a wired network running right by the computer anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

My understanding is that you don't install multibeast if you have a working clover install. When I installed Multibeast, people told me to start over with Clover. From what I can tell, you can get started easily with Multibeast, but it's not the best from a customization standpoint (e.g. fixing iMessage). In fact, Multibeast got the sound working immediately from the start, but in Clover I had to get help from HeadKaze before I could get it working. If you check back in my last message. The plist edits and links to SSDT files are there.

If you get a WIFI adapter and BT dongle that works out of the box, you don't have to do anything to get them working, but if you don't need them, why waste the money? I find that the radio range of the Brix compared to my actual mini isn't nearly as good so if you're also far from the router... stick with the wire.

I'm glad you made some progess with the dual monitor setup. I only have one so I really couldn't help.

Morning! So the dual monitor issue is fixed. Seems like it was the displayport to VGA adapter that was messing it up. Plugged in another monitor and used a displayport to HDMI adapter = WIN! Both monitors are running at 1920x1080 as they should.

After fiddling with the power settings a little bit, i got rid of a few random restarts (probably related to sleep/wake/low power state). And after disabling and enabling the iCloud Keychain, it's now working :)

Oh, and I got the sound working by using the guide you directed me to. Thanks!

So, to sum it up, everything seems to be working as it should. Well, apart from iMessage. I might dive into that project since everything has been pretty straight forward until now.

...almost everything working. Got a little intermittent network (LAN) speed/stability issue. When transfering files between the "Mac" and other computers (or NAS) the throughput is usually between 60 and 90MB/sec, which is fine. But some times the speed drops to just a few kb/sec, only for a few seconds, before speeding up again. For file transfers it doesn't bother me much sine it will finish eventually anyway, but streaming video can be challenging. Got this issue both for sending and receiving. Since I have two SSDs installed (OSX + Win7-64) I tried booting in Windows also, and there everything works as it should. Not too worried yet though, I know there are several networking issues in 10.10.3 which will be resolved in 10.10.4, so it could be a 10.10.3 problem and not a hackintosh problem. And I'm also guessing it would be best to stay clear of beta releases for Hackintosh builds :)

Last edited:
Update to 10.10.4 successful. Just had to install the patched AppleHDA.kext to get audio back. TRIM support still working via Clover patch so I wont bother enabling the new built-in 3rd party TRIM support drivers.

Update to 10.10.4 successful. Just had to install the patched AppleHDA.kext to get audio back. TRIM support still working via Clover patch so I wont bother enabling the new built-in 3rd party TRIM support drivers.

FYI, I did not had to reinstall patched AppleHDA.kext. What I did so far was:

1. Open Clover Configurator and save a copy of the currently working config.plist.
2. Update Clover Configurator via in app update dialog or if not working via the new web side.
http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/
3. Update Clover via in app dialog. I kept all defaults when installing the new version.
Direct URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
4. Open Clover Configurator to verify whether the current config.plist was not destroyed by the upgrades.
5. Reboot via updated Clover to check that after upgrading Clover all still works well.
6. Download and install latest OS patches via Apple App Store. This results in a reboot of the OS.
7. After the OS is started and the installation was finished.
8. I moved to the OS X 10.10.4 buid in Trim Enabler to have on patch less.
a) Remove the old TRIM patch from clover config (or uninstall TRIM Enabler) and reboot.
b) Enable TRIM the apple way.
$ sudo trimforce enable
c) Reboot.
9. Opening System Settings/Audio and still saw HDMI sound and the other sound working.

(Not sure this is because Apple did not touch the patched driver or this is because OS X comes with a better driver.)

(Not sure this is because Apple did not touch the patched driver or this is because OS X comes with a better driver.)

Have a look at the AppleHDA.kext file in /System/Library/Extensions. If it's 2.6 MB it's the patched one and if it's 3.2 MB it's Apple's latest version.

It's strange because I had to patch mine to get all the audio ports working again. Do you have "Headphone port" and "Optical digital-out port" listed as well as "HDMI"?

I've also updated to 10.10.4, no issues apart from the audio .kext which had to be reinstalled :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back