Contribute
Register

Sebinouse's Build : CustoMacMini 2014 - Intel NUC Haswell i5-4250U - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is (wake reason : spacebar pressed on USB keyboard on front left USB3.0 port)
Code:
 syslog | grep -i "wake reason"
 kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX EHC2 XHC PXSX (Network)
 kernel[0] <Notice>: ARPT: 263.694013: ARPT: Wake Reason: Wake on Scan offload; Disconnect reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated STA
 kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX EHC2 XHC
 kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: EHC2 XHC

thanks so much ;)

Yesterday I decided to to go with a try on infrared USB adapter MOD on my NUC.
I already purchased an 4 pins at 2 mm apart pitch connector/cable (I do not found a pitch with two rows of pins, so I go by two connectors with only 4 pins).
4PINS_2mm_PITCH_CONNECTOR.jpg

The apple infrared board I already had from my previous hackintosh build.

INFRARED_BOARD.png

After I look on specs for the internal USB 2.0 header on NUC to see wiring diagram (I use for now only 2 to 8 pins),

USB20.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

I switch the order of colors on my cable/connector to match those on USB standards (red on pin1, white (yelow on my case) on pin2, green on pin3 and black on pin 4) and I made the soldering directly on the infrared board.
APPLE_INFRARED_BOARD.jpg

Next step was to find a place inside my NUC for that board and cable, first I considered the already made hole of the Kensington lock, but that it is not in front, the already made hole for infrared that came with NUC was a good position, but this that means I had to remove that sensor from motherboard and I was not sure if the most OK think to do, in the end I noticed there is a space between SATA power connector ant the case, so this is the place that I decided it will tich all the boxes(or most of them :) ).

So I start measuring to mark on front of the case the place for a new hole in the case fora that sensor to work (infrared signals from remote to get to that sensor).
This is that hole seen from up front
UP_FRONT_PHOTO.jpg

The apple infrared board I isolated with black isolating tape for protection on electric failure, aligned with the hole made previously and taped on the wall of the case, and in the end after I put back the motherboard that pressed on, and ended to secure more in place that infrared board.(red rectangle)

UP_BACK_PHOTO.jpg

After power up this is what system report say

SYSTEM_REPORT_USB_DEVICES.png

My next project on this NUC will be
Broadcom Bcm94360cs2 and Mini PCI-E Flexible Adapter With Wireless Antenna
I will say how that work after I get the hardware.

Yesterday I decided to to go with a try on infrared USB adapter MOD on my NUC.
I already purchased an 4 pins at 2 mm apart pitch connector/cable(I do not found a pitch with two rows of pins, so I by two connectors with only 4 pins).
View attachment 180810

The apple infrared board I already had from my previous hackintosh build.

View attachment 180811

After I look on specs for the internal USB 2.0 header on NUC to see wiring diagram (I use for now only 2 to 8 pins),

View attachment 180815
My next project on this NUC will be
Broadcom Bcm94360cs2 and Mini PCI-E Flexible Adapter With Wireless Antenna
I will say how that work after I get the hardware.

I did almost the same on mine : I soldered the cables of the IR Board to a 2mm pitch USB header adapter I previously purchased not internet.

As I switched my case a fanless one (Stream NC2), I didn't need to drill a second hole : I just had to place the new IR Receiver close to the built-in one, and it worked !

About BCM94360, I switched my wifi card to a genuine Apple BCM94360CDAX with a mini-PCIe adapter. This card has 4 antennas (only 2 has to be plugged-in) and requires a full length mini-PCIe Slot.

The main advantage of this card in that BT Mouse & Keyboard are recognized in BIOS and Clover ...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2016-03-13 à 11.34.41.png
    Capture d’écran 2016-03-13 à 11.34.41.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 41G+S9CYNuL._SX300_.jpg
    41G+S9CYNuL._SX300_.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 297
This card has 4 antennas (only 2 has to be plugged-in) and requires a full length mini-PCIe Slot.

Antenna connector on Apple card is the same size like ones that came with the NUC ?

So where you plug that adapter in mSATA port ?
from what I remember you already have that port occupied with a mSATA SSD.
I ask for because
requires a full length mini-PCIe
I am going with that flexible adapter.

The main advantage of this card in that BT Mouse & Keyboard are recognized in BIOS and Clover
that and that it is working OOTB, no more a need for kexts and delayed functionality(before that I used a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 that worked OOTB, whent I was at login, I was already connected to my wireless network)
And another advantage is that of price, on my Azure card I pay almost the same amount I pay on this two (card and adapter).

Antenna connector on Apple card is the same size like ones that came with the NUC ?

So where you plug that adapter in mSATA port ?
from what I remember you already have that port occupied with a mSATA SSD.
I ask for because I am going with that flexible adapter.

that and that it is working OOTB, no more a need for kexts and delayed functionality(before that I used a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 that worked OOTB, whent I was at login, I was already connected to my wireless network)
And another advantage is that of price, on my Azure card I pay almost the same amount I pay on this two (card and adapter).

First I forgot to thank you for sharing this work : it's pretty neat and very well explained step by step ;)

As I told you previously I modified my NUC to make it fanless. And the new Streacom case is a little bit bigger and can accept a 2,5' SSD. So from now own I have :

Intel NUS i5-4250U
Streacom NC2 case
USB 2.0 internal Header : Apple IR Receiver
Mini-PCIe Full size slot : BCM94360CDAX on Mini-PCIe adapter with 4 antennas
Mini-PCIe Half size slot : Mini-PCIe extender (ATTENTION it does NOT support mSATA drives !) for eGPU GTX750ti
Sata port : Crucial M500 SSD 500GB

If you want to keep your small genuine case you can as you plan use an extender and find a place to put the airport card inside the case or you can look for a half size mSATA SSD. The antennas of the NUC can be used on the airport card, in my case J2 & J3 had to be used to get BT.

Hi!

Updated to 10.11.4! Everything is running fine but sound is not working. I installed the kext and used the script several times without success. Seems like 10.11.4 bring us a new version of the kext and maybe this new one should be patched.

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 20.29.45.png

Hi!

Updated to 10.11.4! Everything is running fine but sound is not working. I installed the kext and used the script several times without success. Seems like 10.11.4 bring us a new version of the kext and maybe this new one should be patched.

View attachment 181906

I use cloverALC so I don't have a problem. You should wait to upgrade from Sebinouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back