Contribute
Register

Samsung RC512-S02 Mac OS X Installation / Snow / Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
sonarcade said:
awesome! Thank you so much for your help, Branhower. This totally works.

:cool: Glad to hear.

If I get core-throttling working via a patched DSDT; I'll post a new one for you all. This will make battery life more than double probably.

I'm disappointed that I still haven't gotten this working (especially after Branhower gave the .zip file!). I keep ending up with a panic, or a non-working trackpad. I'm more of a noob than I thought.. so far:

I've got Lion installed on a HDD on the second partition and I can boot into it using rBoot (I plan on dual booting with Windows on the first partition, but that's currently blank). I haven't touched anything with Chimera yet because I don't mind booting from rBoot until the trackpad works.

On first boot, I ran MultiBeast to install KextUtility and the SMBIOS for a MacBookPro 8,1.

I moved the contents of "Extra" (from Branhower's zip) into my /Macintosh/Extras folder, then moved all of the Kexts in "Extensions" (from Branhower's zip) to the desktop and ran KextBeast. I was forced to restart, so ran Kext Utility on next boot.

I rebooted again and got a kernel panic looked like it was because of a voodoo ps2 kext.

I can't seem to find Extensions.mkext

cydzikm said:
I'm disappointed that I still haven't gotten this working (especially after Branhower gave the .zip file!). I keep ending up with a panic, or a non-working trackpad. I'm more of a noob than I thought.. so far:

I've got Lion installed on a HDD on the second partition and I can boot into it using rBoot (I plan on dual booting with Windows on the first partition, but that's currently blank). I haven't touched anything with Chimera yet because I don't mind booting from rBoot until the trackpad works.

On first boot, I ran MultiBeast to install KextUtility and the SMBIOS for a MacBookPro 8,1.

I moved the contents of "Extra" (from Branhower's zip) into my /Macintosh/Extras folder, then moved all of the Kexts in "Extensions" (from Branhower's zip) to the desktop and ran KextBeast. I was forced to restart, so ran Kext Utility on next boot.

I rebooted again and got a kernel panic looked like it was because of a voodoo ps2 kext.

I can't seem to find Extensions.mkext

In Lion that file is no longer used, it is replaced with kernelcache. Also; Lion will not use any kexts in the Extras folder, which is why either of those are not there. This is why I recommend using Kext Utility; as it links the new kernels in the kernelcache, greatly speeding up boot time.

Do you mind taking a pic of your kernel panic?

Branhower said:
In Lion that file is no longer used, it is replaced with kernelcache. Also; Lion will not use any kexts in the Extras folder, which is why either of those are not there. This is why I recommend using Kext Utility; as it links the new kernels in the kernelcache, greatly speeding up boot time.

Do you mind taking a pic of your kernel panic?

Thanks for the explanation. I'll post a picture of the panic after I get home from work. From what I remember, it was regarding voodoops2. It would make sense, since I couldn't find it anywhere to remove it.

I'm not able to recreate the kernel panic - I'm able to boot into Lion fine, but the trackpad just will not work. I started over with a fresh install, using Kext Utility to install all of the kexts you provided in the Extensions folder, and moved all of the contents from your Extras into my root Extra folder.

I'm booting in cleanly, audio actually sounds pretty nice, but I have no trackpad at all. System Preferences is showing "No trackpad found."

cydzikm said:
I'm not able to recreate the kernel panic - I'm able to boot into Lion fine, but the trackpad just will not work. I started over with a fresh install, using Kext Utility to install all of the kexts you provided in the Extensions folder, and moved all of the contents from your Extras into my root Extra folder.

I'm booting in cleanly, audio actually sounds pretty nice, but I have no trackpad at all. System Preferences is showing "No trackpad found."

Pardon me for being so specific, but does the trackpad actually function at all? Because essentially what the kexts do is fool Lion into thinking the trackpad is a mouse; not actually identifying and initializing the trackpad as a fully-functioning trackpad. This means your options will be under "Mouse" instead of "Trackpad". Mine is the same way. As far as I got, the only things we'll get are cursor movement, left, and right click. No multitouch or scrolling gestures.

Branhower said:
Pardon me for being so specific, but does the trackpad actually function at all? Because essentially what the kexts do is fool Lion into thinking the trackpad is a mouse; not actually identifying and initializing the trackpad as a fully-functioning trackpad. This means your options will be under "Mouse" instead of "Trackpad". Mine is the same way. As far as I got, the only things we'll get are cursor movement, left, and right click. No multitouch or scrolling gestures.

Not a problem, Branhower, I appreciate your help. The trackpad does not function at all. I would be OK with only "mouse functionality" - but right now I have absolutely nothing unless I use a USB mouse.

cydzikm said:
Not a problem, Branhower, I appreciate your help. The trackpad does not function at all. I would be OK with only "mouse functionality" - but right now I have absolutely nothing unless I use a USB mouse.

I spent my time dwelling on this one; and the only thing I could think of to ask is, did you install with KextBeast and ran Kext Utility (not installing anything, just running it to fix permissions and rebuild the kextcache) as a follow-up?

Branhower said:
I spent my time dwelling on this one; and the only thing I could think of to ask is, did you install with KextBeast and ran Kext Utility (not installing anything, just running it to fix permissions and rebuild the kextcache) as a follow-up?

Yeah, I've done several fresh installs and never been able to get any mouse functionality using the trackpad.

My latest installation was: Multibeast for Easybeast.
Then I moved the Extras folder contents from your pack to my Extras folder, and installed all of your kexts using KextBeast (all kexts on desktop, then run kextbeast). Then I ran Kext Utility and rebooted. The audio works fine, so I know that at least that kext was installed, but I've got nothing with this trackpad.

I don't think that would make any difference. Are you using a custom DSDT? I know I haven't tried using one - not sure if that would make a difference.

So I've tried again, I seem to have no changes after installing using Kext Beast/Kext Utility, so I went back to using Kext Wizard.
I installed 10.7 and booted into it from rBoot.
Ran Multibeast for EasyBeast
Moved contents of Extra from pack to Extra on root.
Downloaded Kext Wizard
Installed VoodooHDA.kext using Kext Wizard.
Repair Permissions & Rebuild Cache for S/L/E using Kext Wizard
Rebooted
Installed AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext & ApplePS2Controller.kext using Kext Wizard
Repair Permissions & Rebuild Cache for S/L/E using Kext Wizard
Rebooted
Got a kernel panic, attached is the image.

Attachments

• IMG_20120515_170553.jpg
    IMG_20120515_170553.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back