Contribute
Register

Samsung RC512-S02 Mac OS X Installation / Snow / Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
sonarcade said:
Thanks! I'll check those drivers out once I get my laptop returned from repairs today. I'm perfectly fine with having solely mousing capabilities and don't need fancy gesturing or scrolling. I have the Windows partition as active as I had for my previous laptops so that hibernate works. I simply had to use either Chimera or Chameleon Wizard to use boot0hfs to get the Chameleon menu to appear upon boot, even with the Windows partition as being active. Am I simply doing the boot0hfs installation wrong or is it kind of impossible with the RC512? Thanks, again.

This is how mine works too. I'm not complaining, since I get the cool boot menu and both hibernation and Windows service pack installations work (they don't if the OS X partition is marked as active).

As for the trackpad issue; I installed the kext using KextBeast and ran Kext Utility as a fail safe. It didn't make a difference for me; but I use the following code in the "org.Chameleon.boot.plist" file to speed up boot time. It may make a difference for you, I had to use it to fix an issue back when I was dumping Lion on the laptop for the first time.

Code:
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

ach. On a sidenote, I had lost my power adapter and was wondering if anyone would happen to have the part # for the adapter brick. I'd love to get back on working on hacking this puppy. Thanks!

sonarcade said:
ach. On a sidenote, I had lost my power adapter and was wondering if anyone would happen to have the part # for the adapter brick. I'd love to get back on working on hacking this puppy. Thanks!

Sonarcade, my power brick is P/N AD-90195. It also says Model: 0455A1990.

I'm just about to begin the process of getting OS X on this guy while dual booting Win7 - thanks for everything you guys have worked through so far.

thanks for the info, cydzikm. The replacement is on its way! One thing that just occurred to me is that I've been trying to install OSX 10.7.0. To see if any of my issues can be somewhat addressed by upgrading to 10.7.1 or above, I would like to ask if the trackpad and boot issues were non-existent in 10.7.0. Thanks!

I just discovered why those kexts weren't working on my computer. It was because my Extensions.mkext, which was in my Extra folder had voodoops2controller.kext in it causing it to conflict with the appleps2controller.kext. I used Kext Wizard to extract all of the kexts in Extensions.mkext and trashed all the voodoo kexts and voila! Thanks so much for your help Branhower! Something just didn't seem right and clearly, it was on my end. May I ask how you get a dual boot going with this now? Do you install chameleon in boothfs or in regular mode with the apple side being the active partition?

For some reason, no matter what I do, I can't get the apple side to boot up on its own without the use of the usb flash drive that I used to install osx. And I'm still at OSX 10.7.0 after having my Lion install freeze up upon installing 10.7.2. Thanks!

Edit: also, upon further research, I found that the hard drive this laptop came with is an advanced format drive, hts547575a9e384, which has the 4k sector issue and is the reason why I've been getting boot0 errors. How did anyone successfully get around this issue? Do you boot using a cd/usb/different hard drive? Thanks!

Edit pt2: so I fixed it by using the methods described here. Works like a charm! Now I'm just going to need to find out how to get the video card to pick up since even the 3000hd isn't being picked up and the resolution is stuck at 1024x768. :\

sonarcade said:
I just discovered why those kexts weren't working on my computer. It was because my Extensions.mkext, which was in my Extra folder had voodoops2controller.kext in it causing it to conflict with the appleps2controller.kext. I used Kext Wizard to extract all of the kexts in Extensions.mkext and trashed all the voodoo kexts and voila! Thanks so much for your help Branhower! Something just didn't seem right and clearly, it was on my end. May I ask how you get a dual boot going with this now? Do you install chameleon in boothfs or in regular mode with the apple side being the active partition?

For some reason, no matter what I do, I can't get the apple side to boot up on its own without the use of the usb flash drive that I used to install osx. And I'm still at OSX 10.7.0 after having my Lion install freeze up upon installing 10.7.2. Thanks!

Edit: also, upon further research, I found that the hard drive this laptop came with is an advanced format drive, hts547575a9e384, which has the 4k sector issue and is the reason why I've been getting boot0 errors. How did anyone successfully get around this issue? Do you boot using a cd/usb/different hard drive? Thanks!

Edit pt2: so I fixed it by using the methods described here. Works like a charm! Now I'm just going to need to find out how to get the video card to pick up since even the 3000hd isn't being picked up and the resolution is stuck at 1024x768. :\

That issue is strange indeed; since the HD 3000 series is natively supported (on laptops anyway). Have you tried the GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot flag?

And you're welcome!

Also; a little note for those who stumble upon this thread, all "advanced" hard drives with the 4K-sector formatting definitely need a manual installation of the boot1 file. The link above works as well as a few links earlier in the thread.

can I ask which smbios profile was used or if there was a custom one that you made as well as what org.chameleon.boot.plist looks like? Thanks again! and yeah, I don't know how I missed that note you made on the advanced formatting drives. I think I was just so preoccupied with the trackpad issue that I completely overlooked it!

sonarcade said:
can I ask which smbios profile was used or if there was a custom one that you made as well as what org.chameleon.boot.plist looks like? Thanks again! and yeah, I don't know how I missed that note you made on the advanced formatting drives. I think I was just so preoccupied with the trackpad issue that I completely overlooked it!

Sorry it took over a month to deliver guys. I ran into a bunch of stuff.

I told sonarcade via PM that I wouldn't have a pack of KEXTs that work for my particular instance. Well; I forgot about a few other things that make this thing work, including a patched intelcpumanagement.kext that negates the need for nullcpupowermanagement.kext (and saves a little bit of battery). You'll need the DSDT included to make this work (or you can make your own; either way it's unpatched). SMBIOS included (MacBook Pro 8,1).

Attachments

• RC512 Pack.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
awesome! Thank you so much for your help, Branhower. This totally works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back