Power
90 W Typical Power Usage
6-Cell Battery

Dimensions
15" (W) x 10.1" (D) x 1.2~1.4" (H)

Weight
5.56 lbs. With Standard Battery

My succes so far is:
I've installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard from a USB stick with iBoot.

The problems:
I can't seem to find a way to make it boot by itself. It keeps: Reboot and Insert Proper Boot Device...

My final goal is to install Mac OS X Lion. Any suggestions?

I'm currently doing the same thing.

The easiest thing I found to do was pull the drive out, and use my macbook pro + xmove to setup the lion install partition (bypassing snowleopard on the Samsung entirely).

Then I used an rBoot cd to start the Lion install on the Samsung laptop.

I had tried the recommended route originally, going via Snow Leopard - but that was PITA - because SL doesn't support Sandy Bridge out of the box.

Lion on the other hand works like a charm, even enabling graphics acceleration for the integrated Intel HD3000.

Post install the trouble I ran into was when using MultiBeast (Easybeast method).

1st, Multibeast doesn't install chameleon/chimera correctly - the boot1h code doesn't get injected - I had to do it manually via single user mode (this is described elsewhere - issue with 4k blocks or something).

2nd, you need to set GraphicsEnabler=0, otherwise the nvidia chip gets used instead of the the HD3000.

After that laptop would boot into chameleon, then onto Lion, but just get stuck - sometimes at the pin wheel, sometimes at a blank blue-screen.
If I use the rboot cd to start lion, it works fine.

So this is where I'm stuck now - I've got a working Lion install with rBoot chameleon, but not with the installed version.

I'm going to start a new topic about that

Can you do a step-by-step tutorial of how you've done it? Maybe we find a solution on the way

The Snow Leopard iBoot method didn't work for me because SL doesn't support sandy bridge, so I skipped it all together and installed lion directly.

So you'll need access to an exisiting mac to follow these steps

1. Buy and download Lion on a current mac, so that you have it read for the xMove step later.[/*:m:2965clxg]
  2. Remove the hard drive from the laptop:
    Easy to do, just one screw on the backpanel, pop it off, and the hard drive is just nested in the case, no mounting screws[/*:m:2965clxg]
  3. Connect the hdd to your existing mac
    I used a USB SATA adapter for this (they're not expensive, and handy to have around for data recovery, and operations like this)[/*:m:2965clxg]
  4. Use disk utility to partition the drive into 3 volumes
    Macintosh (HFS+)
    Windows (FAT32 or exFAT)
    MAC_INSTALL (HFS+) - 8GB size
    Split up the space however you like, or omit the windows partition completely if you don't need/want dual boot.[/*:m:2965clxg]
  5. Right click the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" to show package contents[/*:m:2965clxg]
  6. Navigate to the "Contents/SharedSupport" folder and mount the InstallESD.dmg file[/*:m:2965clxg]
  7. now use xMove to put the Lion installation files onto the MAC_INSTALL partition[/*:m:2965clxg]
  8. Unmount the laptop drive from your mac, and put it back into the Samsung[/*:m:2965clxg]
  9. Burn the rBoot LE iso (available in the downloads section) to a CD, and use it to startup the laptop[/*:m:2965clxg]
  10. Select the MAC_INSTALL partition in the boot options, and proceed with installing OSX Lion[/*:m:2965clxg]
  11. DO NOT USE MULTIBEAST TO INSTALL CHAMELEON - it just wouldn't work properly for me - didn't change the boot0 bytes correctly, and the kernel installed kept hanging on startup for me after I fixed the boot issues manually.[/*:m:2965clxg]
  12. I finally tried the Chameleon Wizard instead, and it worked like a charm:
    http://goo.gl/dUCam[/*:m:2965clxg]

So now Lion boots for me, and it supports sandybridge with the HD3000 integrated graphics out of the box (can't use the companion nvidia chip though, as far as I can tell)
so Don't use GraphicsEnabler option for chameleon.

I've been using multibeast to add extensions slowly, VoodooHDA works for sound (however the defaults for the mic are screwed up, and result in screeching feedback until you turn down the monitor volume level manually)
Keyboard works too (using the Voodoo PS2 extension), but touchpad does not and I haven't managed to get it working with any other extensions yet either.
It's not a synaptics model touchpad, which seems to be what all the extensions out there are made for.
Ehternet works too (via chameleon boot options)

That's about as far as I've gotten.

I don't particularly like the voodooHDA extensions, so I would like to enable native support - however I'm not sure which realtek codec is in the laptop - I'm not sure where to find the human readable hardware IDs in windows 7.

Hope this helps!

Hi, I also have a samsung RC512-s01. I followed your instructions, but I am not sure what to do once everything is installed.

You said to use the chameleon wizard, but does that mean do not use multibeast at all?

if I am supposed to use multibeast, what did you do EXACTLY in multibeast to get it to work?

Also, what settings am I supposed to set up in chameleon wizard?

also, am if multibeast and chameleon wizard are both supposed to be used, in what order should I do them in?

Sorry, I'm a total newb at this.......

p.s. is there a way you can generate a dsdt for this machine?

The easybeast or user DSDT option in Multibeast are what install the basic bootloader and some generic extensions to get everything running.

For me however, MultiBeast did not install the bootloader properly - which is why I used chamelon wizard instead.

After I got it to boot, I used MultiBeast to add (what I considered) the right extensions, one at time - rebooting in between each.
If anything didn't work as I expected, I would boot into safemode and delete the last extension I added.

Unfortunately no DSDT for this laptop as far as I know, and I have no idea how to go about creating one (i'm pretty new to all this myself)

Ninjit; I too have been on a noble quest to get the near perfect Hackintosh laptop on this model. I got it at a great price; and that's the primary reason I got it. When I gave my Lion backup for my desktop a shot and it nearly worked, I decided to pursue this a bit further.

I used nearly the same sequence of steps you did, save for formatting the internal hard drive on the thing. I'm playing with an old external I used to use for media backups. When I get the perfect working environment, I'll clone it over after shrinking the Windows 7 partition.

Anyway, I got the keyboard working using the standard PS/2 kext and a kext built to fool Lion into thinking the trackpad is a mouse. This is rather unfortunate as none of the cool stuff in it works like multi-touch or single-touch scrolling. However the basic stuff like single and double tapping work just fine, and the benefit is not having to carry around a USB mouse. The kext to look for is AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.

I've given up on trying to get WiFi to work as nobody else is designing a kext for it and I have absolutely no idea how to either. Since it's WiMax and WiMax seems to be losing the 4G war I'll probably end up replacing the antenna.

The sound is disappointing me the most though. Not to belittle their efforts; as supporting a large amount of chipsets in the confined OS X is quite a feat, but I had bad experiences with VoodooHDA. The hissing, pops, and sub-par audio makes me feel having no sound is better than having bad sound. Is that noticeable on this computer? Anyway, in my attempts, I went over to the Windows side and had a look at what ALC codec is used; it's a weird one, ALC269. Everyone's fix is attempting to patch VoodooHDA to get it to work, but I've tried all of them and they didn't work at best and panicked at worse, even with no AppleHDA. Very frustrating.

Follow-up: I used VoodooHDA 2.7.23 (or something like that), it sounds pretty good coming out of the internal speakers.

Also a little heads-up: the USB ports on the left are USB 3.0. Using the kexts from Multibeast you can plug stuff in and not have any problems, but if unplug, the system panics.

ninjit said:
  1. Buy and download Lion on a current mac, so that you have it read for the xMove step later.[/*:m:2antygv1]
  2. Remove the hard drive from the laptop:
    Easy to do, just one screw on the backpanel, pop it off, and the hard drive is just nested in the case, no mounting screws[/*:m:2antygv1]
  3. Connect the hdd to your existing mac
    I used a USB SATA adapter for this (they're not expensive, and handy to have around for data recovery, and operations like this)[/*:m:2antygv1]
  4. Use disk utility to partition the drive into 3 volumes
    Macintosh (HFS+)
    Windows (FAT32 or exFAT)
    MAC_INSTALL (HFS+) - 8GB size
    Split up the space however you like, or omit the windows partition completely if you don't need/want dual boot.[/*:m:2antygv1]
  5. Right click the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" to show package contents[/*:m:2antygv1]
  6. Navigate to the "Contents/SharedSupport" folder and mount the InstallESD.dmg file[/*:m:2antygv1]
  7. now use xMove to put the Lion installation files onto the MAC_INSTALL partition[/*:m:2antygv1]
  8. Unmount the laptop drive from your mac, and put it back into the Samsung[/*:m:2antygv1]
  9. Burn the rBoot LE iso (available in the downloads section) to a CD, and use it to startup the laptop[/*:m:2antygv1]
  10. Select the MAC_INSTALL partition in the boot options, and proceed with installing OSX Lion[/*:m:2antygv1]
  11. DO NOT USE MULTIBEAST TO INSTALL CHAMELEON - it just wouldn't work properly for me - didn't change the boot0 bytes correctly, and the kernel installed kept hanging on startup for me after I fixed the boot issues manually.[/*:m:2antygv1]
  12. I finally tried the Chameleon Wizard instead, and it worked like a charm:
    http://goo.gl/dUCam[/*:m:2antygv1]

I've got lion installed but after running Chameleon Wiz and restarting the computer gives back boot errors. So I have to put my UniBeast USB drive back in and then boot from that. I have tried using the latest dropbox Chameleon Wiz which says 'rev 2.1 1384' and I tried 'rev 2.0 RC 5'. Any ideas on what I need to look for? I have to be doing something stupid here.

Believe it or not, the bootloader Chimera worked for me. :\

Follow-Up: This was only on the USB drive. As soon as I dumped it on the internel drive; the same thing that happened to Ninjit happened to me.

Also, I will NOT be swapping the antenna out because opening this laptop beyond the very first bottom plate is excruciatingly difficult. I'll probably wind up buy the smallest physical WiFi N antenna I can find and use that.

two questions:

1) has anyone tried to install lion using the standard chameleon/chimera on usb method?

2) has anyone tried to use the new nvidia.c file included in the new chimera here http://macmanx86.blogspot.com/ to see if Nvidia GT 525m works?

I haven't been able to get OSX to install in any way on my RC512 with the specs in the original post just yet and would appreciate any help on this. Thanks, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back