Register

Samsung 990 Pro

Motherboard
Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WIFI
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 580 + RTX 4070
Hi there, i tried to search everywhere to find out if i could have some trouble using this SSD 990 pro for my hackintosh, but couldn't find anything about this specific samsung ssd...

My Hackintosh specs:

ASUS Tuf Gaming Z690-Plus Wifi
I7-12700KF
RX 4070 (first gpu)
RX 580 (second gpu)
32 GB ram

2 NVME Samsung 990 Pro 1TB
(1st win11 - 2nd Ventura macos)

i did read on dortania and many other places to not use samsung nvme (due the trim etc)

To me all is working really good on macos, i mean the boot is slow (compared to win11) but not so long as i read in other forums... would be like 40sec or 1min..

i did the tests with AmorphousDiskMark and i will attach the result.

there's something i should test to understand if my ssd works well?

thank you very much.

Attachments

• NVME Samsung 990.png
    NVME Samsung 990.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 43
Do you have any updates? Are you still using the 990 Pro 1TB? I also am using this but am wondering if I should.

Even if boot times are not slow now, over a longer period, they will get worse. That's why we suggest changing out NVMe SSDs as soon as possible. Because it's inevitable you'll have to do it later if not now.

Hi there, i tried to search everywhere to find out if i could have some trouble using this SSD 990 pro for my hackintosh, but couldn't find anything about this specific samsung ssd...

To me all is working really good on macos, i mean the boot is slow (compared to win11) but not so long as i read in other forums... would be like 40sec or 1min..

Even if boot times are not slow now, over a longer period, they will get worse.

I have an alternative point of view. Boot delay is based on the amount of free space in the APFS container and should remain nearly constant. It might be affected somewhat by fragmentation but probably not much.

So you should expect that the boot delay is proportional to the amount of free space divided by the max write speed of the drive.

If you have a 1T drive with 1 APFS container using the whole drive for the system, and it's half full, you should expect a boot delay of 500G / 10GBps or 50 seconds.

10GBps is a hand-wave that assumes that Trim writes are processed about the same rate as data writes.

The circumstantial evidence adds up this explanation: Samsung handles the trim operations issued by macOS's APFS space manager to reset flash synchronously. Spaceman has to wait for them to get done. Basically all the free space is "written" as "clean" and this takes time and also happens to count against wear.

IOW under APFS, Trim causes precisely the negative condition it was supposed avoid: slowdowns and wear.

I would like to know the precise commands that cause the difficulty, but I don't have a way to investigate.

Other SSD makes do not process Trim as literally as Samsung does.

Samsung may implement a more comprehensive response to Trim commands than others, so it's not necessarily a question of anything being done wrong, it's an incompatibility.

If you reboot only rarely, you could choose to live with it.

If you don't need a lot of free space on the boot drive, you could shrink the system APFS container to minimize free space, thereby reducing time and wear on the drive due to macOS reboots.

But it's much simpler and more effective to get a drive that is known to not be incompatible.

Wow. Okay. Looks like WD Black for me. Thank you all for the input.

Back