Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wstrohm, I use latest BIOS F22g.

Very strange system behavior on M.2 slot on my board, please look what I found here , so it looks like I still need to purchase the PCIe NVMe M.2 adapter :(

Pic1.png

Last edited:
@wstrohm, I use latest bios F22g[/SIZE]

Very strange system behavior on M.2 slot on my board, please look what I found here , so it looks like I still need to purchase the PCIe NVMe M.2 adapter :(

View attachment 364099

I told you. Your M.2 slot should be running at x4 speed. Contact Gigabyte.

Your M.2 slot should be running at x4 speed.
Agreed, the 970 Pro (or EVO too) is supposed to use 4 PCIe lanes (which mine does). Maybe I lucked out because of the Z370N-WIFI motherboard.

No! no! no! Unfortunately, the board Z170X-UP5 TH "M.2"-slot doesn't work properly. I just tested on Windows 10 and it's same happening - only x2:( Gigabyte should update BIOS for that! Just tested with M.2-adapter and I got great speed: 3680/read and 2280/write (Windows and also on Mac)

Then, after all, I put SSD again in M.2 slot and also was great x4 speed, but only once and then after restart is again x2, so doesn't not work properly this board!:(
So I just order second great adapter for this:
StarTech.com PEX4M2E1 M.2 Adapter - x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe this adapter work great with Samsung Pro-Version!

Last edited:
Working is OK (indeed I do feel note significants differences) except a longer boot with 970 EVO (around 10 seconds more)
Weird ... try to search why (the "hid shim legacy 2" step seems taking more time)

Boot time was taking more time after one month using my 10.13.6 APFS version
I finally moved my OS from APFS to HFS+ (with CCC - from a APFS clone- see #49)
Boot time is drastically improved in my case (around 10 second with HFS+ vs 30 second with APFS) -
As I do not feel other differences running on HFS+ or APFS - guess I will stay HFS+ until Mojave.

That was the only drive attached. You may right about the motherboard although the bios has NVMe support. I'm contacting Gigabyte to see if they have an answer. Ill live with the adapter for now. these are results with 970 on PCIe adapter
Does that EVO works fine on your comp?

Here's a speed test with 970 EVO using a PCIE Adapter on a Z97 motherboard.
Still much better than a SSD Sata drive.
View attachment 342250

Hi Gigamaxx,

Am interested to know which PCI-e adapter you used for that test? Reason being on my ASUS H170 PRO GAMING i can't use the onboard M.2 Socket 3 as it removes SATA 1 which i need, so my only other option is to look for PCI-e adapter.

I also need to be able to boot from this drive from the adapter hopefully? Below is what adapters I am considering at present?

StarTech.com M.2 Adapter - x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe - Low Profile and Full Profile
Kingshare (KS-NVX403) M.2 NVMe SSD NGFF TO PCIE 3.0 X4 adapter M Key Suppor PCI Express 3.0 x4

Will be using Samsung 250GB 960 or 970 EVO for this.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

CIM :thumbup:

I ordered already second one from StarTech.com M.2 Adapter - x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe it's just amazing!

Hi MAC_OS,

Thanks for the info, and i take it these are used as your main boot drives for Mac & Windows?

CIM :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back