Contribute
Register

RX 6700 XT is compatible with big sur?

I wonder what's the logic for Apple only supporting 6600, 6800, and 6900, but not supporting 6700? Not sure why they would support the 6600 and not the 6700 since they are both on Navi 23.
The logic is that Apple supports the Radeon Pro family. For now in the Radeon Pro family are: W6600, W6800 and W6900. There is no W6700 and we don't know when and will it be announced anytime.

The logic is that Apple supports the Radeon Pro family. For now in the Radeon Pro family are: W6600, W6800 and W6900. There is no W6700 and we don't know when and will it be announced anytime.
this makes sense.

Thank you

There's a new radeon pro to be released, but it seems it will be a W6400. :/ No luck for us 6700XT owner...

IF a W6400 were to get support in macOS it would still be fairly good news, because that would unlock inexpensive graphic card options for those who merely need an alternative to unsupported iGPUs. But why would Apple bother to sell such a low-end card in its high-end Mac Pro and support the card? (Hence the big "IF"…)

Further I suspect that this W6400 is Navi24, i.e. what goes as RX 6500 in the consumer/gamer market. If so, the numbering suggests that AMD has no plan to introduce an odd digit "7" in the Radeon Pro W6000 line (W6400, W6600, W6800—the W6900X is Apple-only).

I thought to share with you guys some thoughts. I think it is possible to implement non-official 6700XT support in Big Sur & Monterey as I mentioned in the recent Monterey 12.3 RX6800/RX6900 bug posts. However it will involve a bit of longwinded way to add the Navi22 values into the Info.plist of the three main AMD X6000 kexts under S/L/E.
Under the IOKitPersonalities you will need to add the Navi22 profile plus the IOPCIMatch value of 0x73FF1002.
That is likely to enable the card.

The last option of course is, to try to get official support instead. If you have an Apple Developer account you could probably pop in a request to Apple Support under this official request thread for the 6700XT. > https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/699859

I thought to share with you guys some thoughts. I think it is possible to implement non-official 6700XT support in Big Sur & Monterey as I mentioned in the recent Monterey 12.3 RX6800/RX6900 bug posts. However it will involve a bit of longwinded way to add the Navi22 values into the Info.plist of the three main AMD X6000 kexts under S/L/E.
Under the IOKitPersonalities you will need to add the Navi22 profile plus the IOPCIMatch value of 0x73FF1002.
That is likely to enable the card.

I searched around for hours yesterday but came up empty.
Do you know of any resources that cover applying edits to system kexts? Putting edited kexts back in S/L/E would require SIP to be disabled, so is there a better way?

Do you know of any resources that cover applying edits to system kexts? Putting edited kexts back in S/L/E would require SIP to be disabled, so is there a better way?
No not really. To be honest, I don't really recommend it (despite me mentioning it before).
It really isn't the best idea in my mind.

I think the most logical options are either a) send an official request to Apple to get support for the RX6700 as a developer or b) swap out the card for something that IS compatible. ie. RX6600/RX6800.

The only exception to this is the current RX6650. I've heard reports that this can work with Monterey but requires spoofing the gpu device-id to RX6600.

Since macOS 11 it requires more complicated steps to change anything in S/L/E. If there’s any mistake during the process, you will break your system.

do not mess around with anything in /S/L/E

Could there be a way to use OpenCore for this? I have the card and I can give it some tries.

Back