Contribute
Register

RX 6600 XT Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just got herself a RX 6600 XT.
Her current machine is a Dell Optiplex 9020 (i7 4770 with 32 GB of RAM).
Will this graphics card fit in her current system or do we need to build her a new one?

Will this graphics card fit in her current system or do we need to build her a new one?
Depends on which brand of 6600 XT. Also, have you upgraded the PSU ? The 6600 XT requires 8 pin supplemental power from a separate cable as the PCIe slot doesn't provide enough. It looks like this MSI version would fit the length is under 9 inches.

MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT MECH

This Sapphire Pulse model is the best choice for the 9020 MT.

Last edited:
Upgraded to RX 6600 XT from a Vega 56 a week ago. Using OC 0.7.8 iMac 20,2 SMBIOS
The fans work in macOS, (not sure exactly when because there is no app to monitor the RPM, only temp) but they start to spin only at heavy load, when the video card is already very hot compared to Windows. In Windows the fan behavior is almost the same, only that although the fans are most of the time stopped, the temperature does not exceed 40° C, due to sporadic and almost imperceptible spins of the fans

I read in a thread
that it is possible to extract a powerplay table from Windows using GPU-Z, ATOMBIOSReader, Red BIOS Editor and HxD and inject it into OC, the same way I was able to do but with PyVega. I can't find any similar post about the 6600xt to have the reference values.

UPDATE: I have been researching this topic and it seems that the problem is with the ITE sensor of this motherboard model. Somehow VirtualSMC doesn't support reading from it. I guess it previously worked with the Vega 56 because a soft power play was injected into OC with PyVega. That's why I want to know if there's any way to extract the power play of the 6600 xt from Windows and inject it again in OC to see if the activity of the fans shows again

Currently i have a PowerColor RX 5500 XT 8gb fitted to my hack, im going to be building a new build using a mix of my current components and new motherboard and cpu. (Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, and i9 12900k) I am going to try and get a new GPU when in America next week at micro center. are there any 6600XT or 6800XT based cards that DO NOT work in mac os? as i think there policy is first come first served, and they get a limited supply in daily. would i be safe sticking with a PowerColor? or go for something else like a Sapphire or Gigabyte card? it looks like the compatability list hasnt been updated in a while. and i dont want to pony up $500-1000 on a dud card.

Currently i have a PowerColor RX 5500 XT 8gb fitted to my hack, im going to be building a new build using a mix of my current components and new motherboard and cpu. (Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, and i9 12900k) I am going to try and get a new GPU when in America next week at micro center. are there any 6600XT or 6800XT based cards that DO NOT work in mac os? as i think there policy is first come first served, and they get a limited supply in daily. would i be safe sticking with a PowerColor? or go for something else like a Sapphire or Gigabyte card? it looks like the compatability list hasnt been updated in a while. and i dont want to pony up $500-1000 on a dud card.

I did as Apple commands, the temps are horrible

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 19.12.56.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 19.12.56.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 246
Ok i think i can get my hands on a PowerColor RX 6600XT 8gb "fighter" card at a price i can live with. Will this card work in a Hack? I currently have a PowerColor RX 5500 XT in my current build which im away to tear apart and fit a whole new z690 board and i9 12900k in. as well as a pair of WD SN750 boot drives. Id like to know if this card works, or is it a one that is a non starter, as ill be buying it in the USA and taking it back to the UK with me, id like to know if there was any issues with it before i start. I know when i bought the 5500XT that XFX cards were a no go area!

And does anyone know if running a 6600xt and a 5500xt in different slots will cause any issues? i know you cant crossfire these but it be usefull for rendering if it was at all possible. I do a lot of photoshop, illustrator, occasional 3D and Video work. I know it probably wont work in MacOS, as i used to run 2 x NVidia 970GTX's in SLI for gaming in my current build and only 1 GPU was usuable in MacOS. But if i can install them both, so that they are both useable under Win 11, but only the 6600XT works in MacOS.. and does not cause any instability issues, i can live with that. as otherwise the 5500XT will just be sat in its box going to waste.

Just installed Sapphire RX 6600 XT into Monterey installation, 12.2.1,
FCPX Bryce test is about 10 sec,
Opencore 0.7.8, Asus Z490P mainboard, 32GB of RAM, 1TB Samsung NVME M2,
slightly underwhelmed by Bryce results, almost no change from Asus RX580,
iMac Pro 1,1 definition, iGPU is turned off in bios.
So far boots straigth into GPU card, albeit a bit slow.
Main goal is to use in FCPX (not yet updated, still at 10.5.4)

Just installed Sapphire RX 6600 XT into Monterey installation, 12.2.1,
FCPX Bryce test is about 10 sec,
Opencore 0.7.8, Asus Z490P mainboard, 32GB of RAM, 1TB Samsung NVME M2,
slightly underwhelmed by Bryce results, almost no change from Asus RX580,
iMac Pro 1,1 definition, iGPU is turned off in bios.
So far boots straigth into GPU card, albeit a bit slow.
Main goal is to use in FCPX (not yet updated, still at 10.5.4)

You know you should enable the IGPU in the BIOS. Because yours is a Comet Lake chip, you'll get an extra bump in performance esp. with H264 and HVEC. If you add the following details it should help greatly:

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 12.34.25 AM.png

You know you should enable the IGPU in the BIOS. Because yours is a Comet Lake chip, you'll get an extra bump in performance esp. with H264 and HVEC. If you add the following details it should help greatly:

View attachment 545876
Well, thanks for the suggestion! I wanted to have GPU (as it is much faster compared to iGPU) to use for video work; i still have my config.list from iMac 2020,1 time, just generated new SMBIOS. I could not find a conclusive evidence on whether iGPU should be on in video work. Some say that dGPU should be solely to accelerate video work, while others prefer the dGPU and iGPU combination.

BTW, AppleTV and Netflix both work on RX 6600 XT iMac Pro 2017 definition without problems. Didn't try Amazon Prime.

I am using iMacPro1,1, maybe I should use MacPro 7,1? Would be grateful for the advice!

I also installed Fenvi T919 and finally enjoying life without USB dongles on my hack, I used USB Tp link wifi and bt dongles, one of the reasons I couldn't update to Monterey earlier.

By the way, is this screenshot from Hackintool or OCA?

Well, thanks for the suggestion! I wanted to have GPU (as it is much faster) to use for video work; i still have my config.list from iMac 2020,1 time, just generated new SMBIOS. I am using iMacPro1,1, maybe I should use MacPro 7,1? Would be grateful for the advice.

I also installed Fenvi T919 and finally enjoying life without USB dongles on my hack, I used USB Tp link wifi and bt dongles, one of the reasons I couldn't update to Monterey earlier.

By the way, is this screenshot from Hackintool?
I see! Well if you are using your system with the AMD, iMacPro1,1 is the best. It's only when you have a single IGPU that you use say iMac20,1. I'm currently using iMac20,1 on my system - but the dGPU has been disabled because it's an Nvidia. MacPro7,1 is okay (with an external dGPU), but I think iMacPro1,1 is a better match for the chipset.

As for the Bluetooth/WiFi, I see - that's rather finicky to setup. I've done a fair bit of testing to now know what is workable option. IMO if you have an Intel card you need to use IntelBluetoothFirmware v.2.1.0 and v.2.6.1 of Bluetoolfixup for Monterey plus Airportitlwm - that's the one that seems to work for most so far. If you have a Broadcom card you'll need to use AirportBRCMFixup (for wifi), BRCMPatchRAM3, BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext & BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext (although this last kext has been replaced with the ExtendBTFeatureFlags quirk). These kexts should work with Monterey 12.3. On wifi with Big Sur itlwm only works for Intel and AirportBRCMFixup only works for Broadcom.

Nope, the screenshot is from Opencore Configurator. I am using the version that supports 0.7.8 which is v.2.57.0.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back