Contribute
Register

Request expert to help for Upgrade to Monterey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never needed to do this in OpenCore and have no interest in researching it for anyone that can do that for themselves. It was a simple matter in Clover using Fake ID.

Suggest OP searches the forum for '0x6FDF' , it is an issue that has been raised several times previously.
Thank you, Pilgrim.

Hi both.

Yes, pretty sure you would use DeviceProperties to spoof the real RX580. Add the device-ID you want for the "VGA" dsiplay apapter and you should be good to go. Must admit I have had no need to do this for a GPU but the same process worked for those pesky Intel i225-V ethernet chips before Big Sur came along with a built-in driver.

Read a few tonymacx86 threads on this subject, but never saw a fix. But never tried in OpenCore. So since I am in the middle of reading Andy Weir's "Project Hail Mary," I thought I would throw in a Hail Mary here. No idea if it would work, but here goes.
Add a new line item to config.list/DeviceProperties/Add that should look something like this:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0) ---------- Dictionary ---------
device-id -------------------------------Data -------------- DF670000
Incorrect-- see post #104 below.

and see what happens. (Probably nothing, or maybe the computer won't boot.)

Last edited:
Looks good. :thumbup:

Dortania also have a section for creating an SSDT if you feel more adventurous: "SSDT-GPU-SPOOF".

If it doesn't work straight away, there's a Whatevergreen command-line to help:

-radcodec

:)

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0) ---------etc
Sorry, that was incomplete. I was not on my Skylake computer to see the gfxutil readout. According to gfxutil, it should be:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) ---------- Dictionary ---------

(Note: the gfxutil readout for my Skylake computer is below. But on that computer I use a Biostar PowerColor AMD RX 560, so the readout shows device id 67EF. But I think the mapping is the same for an RX 580. Please correct me if that is wrong.)

My Skylake's gfxutil readout:
Skylake gfxutil.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, that was incomplete. I was not on my Skylake computer to see the gfxutil readout. According to gfxutil, it should be:

(Note: the gfxutil readout for my Skylake computer is below. But on that computer I use a Biostar PowerColor AMD RX 560, so the readout shows device id 67EF. But I think the mapping is the same for an RX 580. Please correct me if that is wrong.)

My Skylake's gfxutil readout:
View attachment 563815

Yes, I understood you were just initially making a general suggestion, and that was fine.

For the OP I guess the actual address might be different again. They will need to check the PCI device address and modify if necessary. You have an H170 I believe, and they have a Z170. Sadly I have neither these days so can't check for you.

:)

@wstrohm
For my Radeon Vega 56 in my Z97-K system the IOreg path is this.
/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/PEGP@0/IOPP/pci-bridge@0/IOPP/GFX0@0

With the Device Path shown as this.

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

This is obviously different from your graphics cards Device Path.

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

So the Device path for the RX580 sp.... card could be anything between the two

device-id ........Data ........<D7670000>

Would be the line I would add to the DeviceProperties > Add section of the config.plist, under the correct device path to fake the ID for a standard RX580.

@kenwsf
Changing the version of macOS you are running will not help change the device-id for your RX580.
Changing the version of OpenCore you are using will not help change the device-id for your RX580.

In order to get your RX580 working in macOS, the card is supported in Sierra up to and including Ventura, you need to confirm the Device Path of your graphics card.

An example of how to do this is shown below. With the Device Path for my Vega 56 highlighted.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 00.19.27.png

The icon below the info window highlighted in the RED box is the Export button. Selecting this button will dump 4 x files on your desktop. The pcidevices.plist file 'Exported' from Hackintool can be used to confirm the Device path for your discrete graphics card.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 00.23.16.png The 4 x files from Hackintool.

Compress/zip and attach a copy of the pcidevices.plist file and we will be able to see which device path your card uses.

This is not rocket science, we should not be on page 11 of a thread dealing with this issue, when the solution was offered on page 7!

Ha, I'm a vision-impaired leading a vision-impaired... so I completely missed trs96's post 68 on page 7. Went through that on my Z390. For my Z390 with an RX 580, I got this:
Z390 w: RX 580.jpg

and for my H170N-WIFI with an RX 560, I got this:
H170N-WIFI Device List.jpg

which makes me think that the correct entry for kenwsf's DeviceProperties/Add might look like this:

-----AAPL_slot-name ------- String ------ Internal@0,1,0/0,0
-----device_type ---------------String ------ VGA compatible controller
-----model -----------------------String ------ Ellesmere [RX 470/570/570x/580/580x/590]
---- device-id -------------------Data -------- DF670000

So could the above be anywhere near right for kenwsf's config.plist?

Last edited:
Yes, the device path for his GPU is likely to be similar to what you have shown.

However, the device-id you have shown is not correct.

0x67D7 is the device ID for a standard RX580.

So he would need to use <D7670000> not <DF670000>, which would be used when faking the device-id for his RX580sp.…. GPU. As the RX580sp…. cards device-id is not supported in macOS you would never use it.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 18
0x67D7 is the device ID for a standard RX580.
Is my Sapphire RX 580 Nitro Plus not a "standard" RX 580? Hackintool shows the following (for my "Mini-ITX 4" at left):
Hackintool Pcie Display.jpg

Where did 0x67D7 come from (as opposed to 0x67DF)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back