Contribute
Register

Realtek ALC 892 No sound after sleep [10.9.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
MultiBeast is not the problem.

Ok, thnx, what is? Is there a workaround of this problem? I tried aforementioned solutions and it didn't work out...

Thnx in advance,

Ivan

MultiBeast is not the problem.

This may be true but it appears to be a problem with the Realtek AppleHDA kexts included in the current version of MultiBeast. Given that most everyone on this site uses MultiBeast as their post-install solution for various non-vanilla drivers, perhaps a little more info than "MultiBeast is not the problem" would be insightful.

Is this something we have to deal with because of change in Mavericks? Will it be addressed by this community?

For now it seems the script that unloads/loads AppleHDA.kext and restarts coreaudiod is working for most people. It is indeed working for myself. I wrote a small OS X menubar app to facilitate the process without having to go to the terminal. If any of you are interested it is available to build yourself at github: https://github.com/cliffom/appleHDAReset

If you are unable to build yourself, PM me and I'll be more than happy to provide a pre-built binary.

Hi! I had the same problem, and I came up with a solution that works (for me).
What I did was use the script @chych linked to and made it into an AppleScript. I then used Scenario.app to automate the process, so when the computer wakes from sleep, it automatically runs the script.

1. Download the attached AppleScript called "FixAudio.scpt". Change PASSWORD to your account password. (Make sure you keep the quotation marks around your password.
2. Download "Scenario" from the Mac App Store for $4.99. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scenario/id423444193?mt=12)
3. Open Scenario, turn it on, and tick the "Computer wakes from sleep" box.
4. Press the "Open Script Folder" button and navigate to "Wake Scripts".
5. Place the modified AppleScript into the "Wake Scripts" folder.

Now, test it out. Put computer to sleep, wake it up and see if audio works.

Before you buy the app, test to see if the AppleScript works for you:
1. Put computer to sleep
2. Wake it up
3. Make sure there is no audio
4. Run AppleScript
5. If no messages appear, and audio works again, then Scenario will work.

I hope this helps!

Download attachment: View attachment FixAudio.zip

This may be true but it appears to be a problem with the Realtek AppleHDA kexts included in the current version of MultiBeast. Given that most everyone on this site uses MultiBeast as their post-install solution for various non-vanilla drivers, perhaps a little more info than "MultiBeast is not the problem" would be insightful.

Is this something we have to deal with because of change in Mavericks? Will it be addressed by this community?

For now it seems the script that unloads/loads AppleHDA.kext and restarts coreaudiod is working for most people. It is indeed working for myself. I wrote a small OS X menubar app to facilitate the process without having to go to the terminal. If any of you are interested it is available to build yourself at github: https://github.com/cliffom/appleHDAReset

If you are unable to build yourself, PM me and I'll be more than happy to provide a pre-built binary.

Hi,

could you send me the menubar app for audio restart?

For now, I'm using this script FixAudio.zip for manually fixing audio after every wake from sleep (its the script from user who replied after you in the thread).

I can't send PM-s cause i don't have enough posts...

Ivan

Hi,

could you send me the menubar app for audio restart?

For now, I'm using this script FixAudio.zip for manually fixing audio after every wake from sleep (its the script from user who replied after you in the thread).

I can't send PM-s cause i don't have enough posts...

Ivan

You can grab a pre-built binary here: https://github.com/cliffom/appleHDAReset/releases/tag/1.3

Just move the file into /Applications/ and run it. It will run in the OS X Menu Bar. Take a look at the preferences for a couple of optional settings (Start at Login, Run automatically on wake, and Save password)

I haven't had anyone else test this for me so if you have any issues let me know.

I just finished my first Custom Mac build and I am also having the same issue with loosing sound after sleep mode.

I am using the "GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H" motherboard and the Realtek ALC892 onboard audio. This is based on what the manual says, not sure if they keep that up to date. Also, I am using 10.9.3 at this point, but the problem is the same as the other people who've posted into this thread.

I have tried several paths listed in this thread. Including:

1. The bash script that was listed on the Apple Support page
  2. The AppleScript script that another member created to solve this problem

I have tried both of them and I hear the speakers like making a popping noise while it's happening. I still don't have complete audio. The weird thing is that the noise of emptying the trash can still works. But things like MP3s or YouTube do not. Also, the sound to change the volume doesn't work; just emptying the trash can.

The suggestion I didn't try was rolling back to a previous version of MultiBeast. My question is will this require a reinstall or can I do the update in place if I only update the Audio driver?

For now it seems the script that unloads/loads AppleHDA.kext and restarts coreaudiod is working for most people. It is indeed working for myself.

Here is that script from https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5482053?start=225&tstart=0 from MrChase:

"Open AppleScript Editor and past the fallowing in:

tell application "Terminal"
do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/" with administrator privileges

do shell script "sudo -S kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/" with administrator privileges
end tell

and then go to file Save, give it a name like Audio Fix and for the file type select Application.

When you run the new app it should ask you for your password and you can enter it in and you will have audio back"

That was number 2 on the list of things I tried. I just tried it again however; same result. I heard some soft pops and clicks like everything was muted and quickly unmuted. I feel like it IS doing something, just not working yet.

I also just tried plugging in my headphones to the front panel audio jack and nothing.

That was number 2 on the list of things I tried. I just tried it again however; same result. I heard some soft pops and clicks like everything was muted and quickly unmuted. I feel like it IS doing something, just not working yet.

I also just tried plugging in my headphones to the front panel audio jack and nothing.

I realize this isn't a 'fix', but I can't recommend using a usb audio device enough. It solves so many issues, the only reason not to in my opinion is if you have to have HDMI output. OSX supports natively usb audio profile 1.1 and 2.0, not to be confused with the usb 1.1 and 2.0 versions. You can get anything from a 10 dollar Amazon dongle to audiophile DAC's. Now I install and update without ever having to worry about any of he audio issues. The only catch is that if a asynchronous DAC is used, there can be some popping from games and system sounds, but music, video, etc is great. The cheap adapters don't do this.

Of course, I'd like to point out that having to unload and reload the audio kext isn't really a 'fix' either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back