Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have the Radeon VII installed water cooled with EKWB block imported from Europe. CUDA works, World of Warcraft 4K works and Adobe Photoshop and all 3D games running perfectly with 4 monitors HDMI audio with Watergreen

I was kidding.

It’s so political NVDA vs APPL I switched to AMD entirely

@scottkendall tried, but its also not something that will work with the non-ref cards (see not from that post)

Note: Some 3rd party OEM Vega cards such as Asus & Gigabyte O/C Gaming cards have a custom on-board fan controller and VBIOS that deviates from the AMD reference/stock design, as such they are unable to use a SoftPowerPlayTable to control the fan as it's controlled by the VBIOS (Vega cards that follow the AMD Reference/Stock design allow the fan to be controlled by the OS/Driver), as such this fix or the use of the VGTab kext will not work to control the fan, however you can still use the method to modify other parameters such as the GPU core and memory clock rates and voltages.

haven't really seen reference cards here in belgium, only the 3de party ones... (sapphire should work i heard)

I am 95% sure AMD RX Radeon Vega VII will work out of the box with Mojave!

@scottkendall tried, but its also not something that will work with the non-ref cards (see not from that post)

Note: Some 3rd party OEM Vega cards such as Asus & Gigabyte O/C Gaming cards have a custom on-board fan controller and VBIOS that deviates from the AMD reference/stock design, as such they are unable to use a SoftPowerPlayTable to control the fan as it's controlled by the VBIOS (Vega cards that follow the AMD Reference/Stock design allow the fan to be controlled by the OS/Driver), as such this fix or the use of the VGTab kext will not work to control the fan, however you can still use the method to modify other parameters such as the GPU core and memory clock rates and voltages.

haven't really seen reference cards here in belgium, only the 3de party ones... (sapphire should work i heard)

Right I know it does not work with non reference cards, but I figured it was worth a try. I think at some point I read that someone flashed a reference bios on a non reference card and was able to get Vtab to work with their fan. Another option might be to try and use Vbios from a card where the fans function properly. Both these options could break your card so I only recommend them if you are confident you can fix it if you break it.

Patiently waiting also. I guess we will find out in the better part of a week!

As of now with the latest 14.4 beta it is not working very well. No accelerators even with plist edits. Hopefully Apple will update drivers for this card.

I am 95% sure AMD RX Radeon Vega VII will work out of the box with Mojave!

So was I until now, but the 10000controllerkext does have the device ID so I’m Time it should work.

Check out this insane Luxmark Ball in Windows.

Hello guys, I can verify that Radeon VII its not working atm on Mojave 14.3, I just received it and no GFX acceleration so far. System profiler detects the card as Radeon Vega 16Gb so there must be some info in system build.

Will try to install beta later and post feedback

I would love to see Vega vii support, but I don't think it'll happen. Vega vii is sold by AMD at a loss and is only there to bridge the gap (and somewhat compete with Nvidia in the high end) until NAVI is out later this year. Maybe the'll update the iMac Pro.. but I have my doubts.. And even if - it'll be very hard to get ones hands on the card. rumours have it there are around 5000 units around the world.. which makes sense.. AMD has no interest in selling those cards en mass.
So lets hope for NAVI not to be delayed too much.

I would love to see Vega vii support, but I don't think it'll happen. Vega vii is sold by AMD at a loss and is only there to bridge the gap (and somewhat compete with Nvidia in the high end) until NAVI is out later this year. Maybe the'll update the iMac Pro.. but I have my doubts.. And even if - it'll be very hard to get ones hands on the card. rumours have it there are around 5000 units around the world.. which makes sense.. AMD has no interest in selling those cards en mass.
So lets hope for NAVI not to be delayed too much.

You could get one from their site yesterday. Some have got it to work already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back