Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're using 14,2 that's why you don't need AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch

Yes I know - it seems the most trouble-free one to use.

I haven't yet seen a good reason to change it, especially for the RX 560. I know that the iMac 18.x series is more popular nowadays - and I have tried it - but for reliability gone back to iMac14,2. As I mention in my User Build I have never seen running temperatures as low as I have on this build, so CPU PM is obviously okay. This reminds me that a year or two back we used MacPro3,1 because it was so stable - until Apple deprecated it.

:)

Yes they are. With the generic Radeon Frame Buffer, macOS is "hedging it's bets" in the hope that it can cover many possibilities of port types I guess.
If you want specific ports that matches your card, then you have to use an SSDT, or ATI Inject with FBName, or whatevergreen kext.
So, the correct frame buffer for RX 560 is Acre? In that case, Inject ATI sets it corectly and with the appropiate number of ports.
Should we submit a bug report for WhateverGreen?

So, the correct frame buffer for RX 560 is Acre? In that case, Inject ATI sets it corectly and with the appropiate number of ports.
Should we submit a bug report for WhateverGreen?
First of all there's no need to choose a frame buffer if the default (AMDRadeonFrameBuffer) works. However, not all Rx560's have the same port configurations (most do). So if you have 3 ports with e.g. DP, HDMI & DVI as Port 0,1,& 2 respectively and then order in which ports are configured in the Acre frambeuffer also matter. That is, you may have to patch the connectors if yours are not in that order. Without any frame buffer injection, you can check your IOREG when you see ATY,AMDRadeonFrameBuffer@0 identifier, check the connector-type. It will be either 0x400 (DP), 0x800 (HDMI) or 0x4 (DVI). Same for ATY,AMDRadeonFrameBuffer@1 and ATY,AMDRadeonFrameBuffer@2.

There's no bug in Whatevergreen. It does not set the frame buffer. In fact, it deliberately avoids setting it and warns user not do it because Apple drivers does try to guess the ports from the VBIOS. In it's FAQ, he states:

"When should I use a named framebuffer?
Named framebuffers (Baladi, Futomaki, Lotus, etc.), enabled by "Clover GPU injection" or any other methods should never ever be used. This way of GPU injection is a common mistake, preventing automatic configuration of various important GPU parameters. This will inavoidably lead to borked GPU functioning in quite a number of cases.
"

So if you use Whatevergreen, then do not use ATI Inject with FBName=Acre.

Unfortunately, not all manufactures configure their ports to the way BIOS says they are configured and that's sometimes where problems happen.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with AMDRadeonFrameBuffer. You will get the same performance.
E.G. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB and without any RadeonDeInit, ATI Inject, SSDT or whatevergreen, Apple kexts sets the ports correctly in AMDRadeonFramebuffer (almost). The port types & order are correct but there's an extra 6th port listed in the IOREG that is physically not visible on the card. I can use all 5 ports.

Last edited:
I'm looking at getting a 560, but how do I know i'm getting one thats going to work?
Was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073TBD4QV/?tag=tonymacx86-21
I just got this card, but 2GB model, yesterday, working smooth OOB (no kext, no injection ect), I use 2k monitor by DP. If you need sound over DP or HDMI just use Lily and Whatevergreen method, if not, you don't need anything to use it :) (I'm on 10.13.4 ;))

My Asus ROG RX560 came today. I used the method #3. Add kext to patch and set the PEG as a primary CSM disabled. It's working. But I have a problem on boot.

I am getting the signal loss when I boot. is it possible the fix?

Should I need Rename PEGP to GFX0?

Last edited:
I just got this card, but 2GB model, yesterday, working smooth OOB (no kext, no injection ect), I use 2k monitor by DP. If you need sound over DP or HDMI just use Lily and Whatevergreen method, if not, you don't need anything to use it :) (I'm on 10.13.4 ;))

I dont need sound, but do have two displays, so will need HDMI video and DVI. So guess I'll need kexts if I do order it.

Just curiosity, which mac model are you using in your config? imac14,2?

My Asus ROG RX560 came today. I used the method #3. Add kext to patch and set the PEG as a primary CSM disabled. It's working. But I have a problem on boot.

I am getting the signal loss when I boot. is it possible the fix?

Should I need Rename PEGP to GFX0?
Need GXF0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 in that order.

Just curiosity, which mac model are you using in your config? imac14,2?
17.1, just realised that without Lilu I have black screen after boot (I forgot to delete it from kext/others), so maybe not so oob :p Working fine, but as I mentioned, i'm testing it from 2 days (I had NVIDIA GTX 950 before)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back