Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Motherboard
ASUS STRIX Z370G
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I bought the Sapphire VEGA 56, just removed the RX580 and put the VEGA.

I left the IGPU enable for h264 and was immediately given HEVC by hardware. :)

SMBIOS 14,2, WEG + Lilu

regards
Where is that screenshot from?

Motherboard
Huanan Deluxe X79
CPU
E5-2680 v2
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
My hack have low performance with RX580. Only 99.000 points on geekbench 4 when other friend with 8700K and Pulse RX580 gets 135.000 points with OpenCL geekbench 4.

PD: Change MacPro6.1 to iMacPro1.1 and get more performance on test.

Temporary workaround to reduce freeze issue (GVA H264 encoder compatible issue), not a fix.

Copy below info.plist to desktop, remove or disable hwe hweBGRA hwe420 settings depended on SMBIOSs, copy back then reboot, no need update DYLB cache.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist

If modded AppleGVA info.plist, don't use shiki boot flag shikigva=32.
If using SMBIOS MacPro6,1, remove or disable settings hwe TTOnly bwLimit0 bwLimit1.
View attachment 374289
thanks for your answer, now I modded AppleGVA info.plist, both the screen recording and airplay come back, and my smbios is iMac pro1,1, did I in a right way?
View attachment 374302
Need to disable something on Info.plist with iMacPro1.1 for encoding/decoding freeze H264/HEVC?

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z370XP-SLI
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
On macOS 10.14.1, and if you want to use Netflix on Safari, Airplay or watch a movie on iTunes (streaming) you probably want to install this kext (I recommend no and wait until for a macOS update).
With macOS 10.14.0, the Radeon RX 580 works OOB without the need to install the dummy kext (AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA), but have the same issue with the 10.14.1 (system hangups); that's why is better to not install the dummy kext and wait until a new version of macOS. The rest of the applications works flawlessly even games works fine.

If you enable the iGPU, the hardware acceleration would be executed in the Intel GPU/CPU instead the discrete GPU unless you explicity define ATI as the video decoder (I'm not sure that if it works, but...):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes

Lilu, WEG, FakeSMC and other specific only.
In my case, I'm using this kexts:
- Lilu
- WEG
- FakeSMC
- NoVPAJpeg (to fix the issue with Quicklook and jpg files)
- AtherosE2200Ethernet
- AppleALC
- CodecCommander
- FakePCIID_XHCIMux
- FakePCIID

Cheers!
Thanks so much for your help
so I am trying to get the Z97X system (see build # 2) to work with RX 580 to do get full HEVC/H.265 encode/decode support.
and I see you are using the same chipset. you think you can help me with that?
I don't use iTunes or Netflix or any streaming services on this Hackintosh all I want to do is edit video and export it with the various format with FCPX.
I am currently running 10.14.2 on this Hackintosh (i can go back to 10.14 if I need to)
please advise me what I need for kexts and in my config.plist?
do i need to enable iGPU?
can i work without the iGPU? ( clover give me memory error if I enable the iGPU, have to restart the machine 2 or more time for clover to boot to the drive GUI)

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks so much for your help
so I am trying to get the Z97X system (see build # 2) to work with RX 580 to do get full HEVC/H.265 encode/decode support.
and I see you are using the same chipset. you think you can help me with that?
I don't use iTunes or Netflix or any streaming services on this Hackintosh all I want to do is edit video and export it with the various format with FCPX.
I am currently running 10.14.2 on this Hackintosh (i can go back to 10.14 if I need to)
please advise me what I need for kexts and in my config.plist?
do i need to enable iGPU?
can i work without the iGPU? ( clover give me memory error if I enable the iGPU, have to restart the machine 2 or more time for clover to boot to the drive GUI)
Hi!! - Happy Holidays!

I have the following configuration and everything is working like a charm:
CLOVER:
- SMBIOS: Mac-42FD25EABCABB274 (iMac15,1)
- Botargs: none
- Graphics: nothing
- Devices: nothing
- Acpi: basics (WEG doing almost everything)

Hardware/BIOS:
- iGPU: Disabled

Kexts:
- WEG
- Lilu
- NoJPEG
- AppleALC

Custom changes (AppleGVA.framework)
- Remove hwe & hweBGRA

Results (hybrid, CPU + Metal):
- iTunes Streaming: OK
- Netflix at Safari: OK
- Screensaver: OK
- VideoProc: Bad
- AirPlay: OK
- FCPX: Some times hangs, others ok.
- iMovie: OK

Regards!

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Do I just set these settings to NO or do I need to completely remove them from info.plist?
Change to “NO” (internally, modify the element <true /> to <false />) or remove (both elements, key and value) should have the same effect.
Ensure to disable or remove the elements which correspond with you board-id (if you’re using shikigva=32 bootarg, remove it).

Cheers!

Motherboard
Asus Z87 Maximus Gene VI
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi!! - Happy Holidays!

I have the following configuration and everything is working like a charm:
CLOVER:
- SMBIOS: Mac-42FD25EABCABB274 (iMac15,1)
- Botargs: none
- Graphics: nothing
- Devices: nothing
- Acpi: basics (WEG doing almost everything)

Hardware/BIOS:
- iGPU: Disabled

Kexts:
- WEG
- Lilu
- NoJPEG
- AppleALC

Custom changes (AppleGVA.framework)
- Remove hwe & hweBGRA

Results (hybrid, CPU + Metal):
- iTunes Streaming: OK
- Netflix at Safari: OK
- Screensaver: OK
- VideoProc: Bad
- AirPlay: OK
- FCPX: Some times hangs, others ok.
- iMovie: OK

Regards!
I have made all the changes mentioned in your post but Netflix is not working for me. As soon as I play something, it goes to another page listing requirements for HTML5 and Sliverlight.