Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have made all the changes mentioned in your post but Netflix is not working for me. As soon as I play something, it goes to another page listing requirements for HTML5 and Sliverlight.
Odd... have you the tool VDADecoderChecker (I attach it)? Try to run it in a console window and share the results.
Which board-id you are using?
The AppleGVA.framework is ok (share the results of the below commands)?
Code:
cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
sudo codesign --deep -fs - AppleGVA.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleGVA.framework
Can you share your config.plist? and the content of the '/EFI/CLOVER/kexts'?

Regards.

Attachments

Motherboard
Asus Z87 Maximus Gene VI
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
VDADecoderChecker is giving an error:

Code:
Last login: Fri Dec 28 13:13:34 on console
cyclobots-imac:~ cyclobot$ /Volumes/Media/VDADecoderChecker ; exit;
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473
An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]
I had this same issue last time when I was using my modified framework file. Could you please share yours if you don't mind. I have placed all my kexts in /Library/Extensions folder.

I have attached my config file.

Attachments

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
VDADecoderChecker is giving an error:

Code:
Last login: Fri Dec 28 13:13:34 on console
cyclobots-imac:~ cyclobot$ /Volumes/Media/VDADecoderChecker ; exit;
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]
I had this same issue last time when I was using my modified framework file. Could you please share yours if you don't mind. I have placed all my kexts in /Library/Extensions folder.

I have attached my config file.
Attached you can find my entire EFI partition (my config.plist has the serials and uuid masked, you can replace your EFI partition with this one, prepared for Z95 and the board-id accurate to i7 4790K).
Also, I attach the AppleGVA.framework (10.14.2) modified by me.
The extensions, should be placed in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Ohter (this is to be prepared for the next versions of macOS). Leave the /Library/Extensions clear of unsigned files and run: sudo kextcache -I /

NOTE: The results of VDADecoderChecker should be:
Code:
familygw@imac27:~/Downloads/Clover$ ./VDADecoderChecker
Hardware acceleration is fully supported
familygw@imac27:~/Downloads/Clover$
Regards!

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Maximus Gene VI
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Attached you can find my entire EFI partition (my config.plist has the serials and uuid masked, you can replace your EFI partition with this one, prepared for Z95 and the board-id accurate to i7 4790K).
Also, I attach the AppleGVA.framework (10.14.2) modified by me.
The extensions, should be placed in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Ohter (this is to be prepared for the next versions of macOS). Leave the /Library/Extensions clear of unsigned files and run: sudo kextcache -I /

NOTE: The results of VDADecoderChecker should be:
Code:
familygw@imac27:~/Downloads/Clover$ ./VDADecoderChecker
Hardware acceleration is fully supported
familygw@imac27:~/Downloads/Clover$
Regards!
It works now. I moved all kexts back to Other folder. So either your framework file or the GVA kext you had in your Other folder or both together did the trick.

UPDATE:
One issue that popped up again is the Photos app crash. As soon as I start using it, the system locks up.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z370XP-SLI
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Change to “NO” (internally, modify the element <true /> to <false />) or remove (both elements, key and value) should have the same effect.
Ensure to disable or remove the elements which correspond with you board-id (if you’re using shikigva=32 bootarg, remove it).

Cheers!
i still have an issue with Encoding from HEVC to H264 system hangs.

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
It works now. I moved all kexts back to Other folder. So either your framework file or the GVA kext you had in your Other folder or both together did the trick.

UPDATE:
One issue that popped up again is the Photos app crash. As soon as I start using it, the system locks up.
Photos works fine for me (even without this trick).

i still have an issue with Encoding from HEVC to H264 system hangs.
Yes, this mod in the GVA framework just help to reduce the freezes. Still no native support for HVEC or H264, the problem is the Driver.

Motherboard
MSI B250M PRO-VHD
CPU
i3-7100
Graphics
RX 570
Didn't help, unfortunately. Still choppy playback of 8-bit HEVC files in 10.14.2 that play fine on 10.13.1

Any suggestions?
See attached png, IQSV work as expect on 10.14.2, HEVC video (4K 8 bit @ 60 fps) playback OK.

Upload your EFI folder and ioreg file may helpful.

Attachments