Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hack have low performance with RX580. Only 99.000 points on geekbench 4 when other friend with 8700K and Pulse RX580 gets 135.000 points with OpenCL geekbench 4.

PD: Change MacPro6.1 to iMacPro1.1 and get more performance on test.

Temporary workaround to reduce freeze issue (GVA H264 encoder compatible issue), not a fix.

Copy below info.plist to desktop, remove or disable hwe hweBGRA hwe420 settings depended on SMBIOSs, copy back then reboot, no need update DYLB cache.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist

If modded AppleGVA info.plist, don't use shiki boot flag shikigva=32.
If using SMBIOS MacPro6,1, remove or disable settings hwe TTOnly bwLimit0 bwLimit1.
View attachment 374289
thanks for your answer, now I modded AppleGVA info.plist, both the screen recording and airplay come back, and my smbios is iMac pro1,1, did I in a right way?
View attachment 374302

Need to disable something on Info.plist with iMacPro1.1 for encoding/decoding freeze H264/HEVC?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2018-12-11 a las 20.25.57.png
    Captura de pantalla 2018-12-11 a las 20.25.57.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Captura de pantalla 2018-12-23 a las 15.23.01.png
    Captura de pantalla 2018-12-23 a las 15.23.01.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Captura de pantalla 2018-11-23 a las 0.45.18.png
    Captura de pantalla 2018-11-23 a las 0.45.18.png
    65 KB · Views: 121
  • Captura de pantalla 2018-12-23 a las 15.09.55.png
    Captura de pantalla 2018-12-23 a las 15.09.55.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
On macOS 10.14.1, and if you want to use Netflix on Safari, Airplay or watch a movie on iTunes (streaming) you probably want to install this kext (I recommend no and wait until for a macOS update).
With macOS 10.14.0, the Radeon RX 580 works OOB without the need to install the dummy kext (AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA), but have the same issue with the 10.14.1 (system hangups); that's why is better to not install the dummy kext and wait until a new version of macOS. The rest of the applications works flawlessly even games works fine.

If you enable the iGPU, the hardware acceleration would be executed in the Intel GPU/CPU instead the discrete GPU unless you explicity define ATI as the video decoder (I'm not sure that if it works, but...):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes

Lilu, WEG, FakeSMC and other specific only.
In my case, I'm using this kexts:
- Lilu
- WEG
- FakeSMC
- NoVPAJpeg (to fix the issue with Quicklook and jpg files)
- AtherosE2200Ethernet
- AppleALC
- CodecCommander
- FakePCIID_XHCIMux
- FakePCIID

Cheers!

Thanks so much for your help
so I am trying to get the Z97X system (see build # 2) to work with RX 580 to do get full HEVC/H.265 encode/decode support.
and I see you are using the same chipset. you think you can help me with that?
I don't use iTunes or Netflix or any streaming services on this Hackintosh all I want to do is edit video and export it with the various format with FCPX.
I am currently running 10.14.2 on this Hackintosh (i can go back to 10.14 if I need to)
please advise me what I need for kexts and in my config.plist?
do i need to enable iGPU?
can i work without the iGPU? ( clover give me memory error if I enable the iGPU, have to restart the machine 2 or more time for clover to boot to the drive GUI)

Thanks so much for your help
so I am trying to get the Z97X system (see build # 2) to work with RX 580 to do get full HEVC/H.265 encode/decode support.
and I see you are using the same chipset. you think you can help me with that?
I don't use iTunes or Netflix or any streaming services on this Hackintosh all I want to do is edit video and export it with the various format with FCPX.
I am currently running 10.14.2 on this Hackintosh (i can go back to 10.14 if I need to)
please advise me what I need for kexts and in my config.plist?
do i need to enable iGPU?
can i work without the iGPU? ( clover give me memory error if I enable the iGPU, have to restart the machine 2 or more time for clover to boot to the drive GUI)
Hi!! - Happy Holidays!

I have the following configuration and everything is working like a charm:
CLOVER:
- SMBIOS: Mac-42FD25EABCABB274 (iMac15,1)
- Botargs: none
- Graphics: nothing
- Devices: nothing
- Acpi: basics (WEG doing almost everything)

Hardware/BIOS:
- iGPU: Disabled

Kexts:
- WEG
- Lilu
- NoJPEG
- AppleALC

Custom changes (AppleGVA.framework)
- Remove hwe & hweBGRA

Results (hybrid, CPU + Metal):
- iTunes Streaming: OK
- Netflix at Safari: OK
- Screensaver: OK
- VideoProc: Bad
- AirPlay: OK
- FCPX: Some times hangs, others ok.
- iMovie: OK

Regards!

Do I just set these settings to NO or do I need to completely remove them from info.plist?
Change to “NO” (internally, modify the element <true /> to <false />) or remove (both elements, key and value) should have the same effect.
Ensure to disable or remove the elements which correspond with you board-id (if you’re using shikigva=32 bootarg, remove it).

Cheers!

Hi!! - Happy Holidays!

I have the following configuration and everything is working like a charm:
CLOVER:
- SMBIOS: Mac-42FD25EABCABB274 (iMac15,1)
- Botargs: none
- Graphics: nothing
- Devices: nothing
- Acpi: basics (WEG doing almost everything)

Hardware/BIOS:
- iGPU: Disabled

Kexts:
- WEG
- Lilu
- NoJPEG
- AppleALC

Custom changes (AppleGVA.framework)
- Remove hwe & hweBGRA

Results (hybrid, CPU + Metal):
- iTunes Streaming: OK
- Netflix at Safari: OK
- Screensaver: OK
- VideoProc: Bad
- AirPlay: OK
- FCPX: Some times hangs, others ok.
- iMovie: OK

Regards!

I have made all the changes mentioned in your post but Netflix is not working for me. As soon as I play something, it goes to another page listing requirements for HTML5 and Sliverlight.

I have made all the changes mentioned in your post but Netflix is not working for me. As soon as I play something, it goes to another page listing requirements for HTML5 and Sliverlight.

Odd... have you the tool VDADecoderChecker (I attach it)? Try to run it in a console window and share the results.
Which board-id you are using?
The AppleGVA.framework is ok (share the results of the below commands)?
Code:
cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
sudo codesign --deep -fs - AppleGVA.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleGVA.framework

Can you share your config.plist? and the content of the '/EFI/CLOVER/kexts'?

Regards.

Attachments

• VDADecoderChecker.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 104
VDADecoderChecker is giving an error:

Code:
Last login: Fri Dec 28 13:13:34 on console
cyclobots-imac:~ cyclobot$ /Volumes/Media/VDADecoderChecker ; exit;
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473
An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

I had this same issue last time when I was using my modified framework file. Could you please share yours if you don't mind. I have placed all my kexts in /Library/Extensions folder.

I have attached my config file.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 140
VDADecoderChecker is giving an error:

Code:
Last login: Fri Dec 28 13:13:34 on console
cyclobots-imac:~ cyclobot$ /Volumes/Media/VDADecoderChecker ; exit;
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

I had this same issue last time when I was using my modified framework file. Could you please share yours if you don't mind. I have placed all my kexts in /Library/Extensions folder.

I have attached my config file.

Attached you can find my entire EFI partition (my config.plist has the serials and uuid masked, you can replace your EFI partition with this one, prepared for Z95 and the board-id accurate to i7 4790K).
Also, I attach the AppleGVA.framework (10.14.2) modified by me.
The extensions, should be placed in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Ohter (this is to be prepared for the next versions of macOS). Leave the /Library/Extensions clear of unsigned files and run: sudo kextcache -I /

NOTE: The results of VDADecoderChecker should be:
Code:
familygw@imac27:~/Downloads/Clover$ ./VDADecoderChecker
Hardware acceleration is fully supported
familygw@imac27:~/Downloads/Clover$

Regards!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 110
  • AppleGVA.framework.zip
    955.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited: