Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

So, I went ahead and used the Migration Assistant to transfer over the programs and settings and then suddenly, the NVIDIA Web drivers were asking to update when I restarted and it is working amazingly. I had also had a problem with El Capitan recognizing the ethernet which has also remedied itself. I am fully operational as a Sierra System. Even my Lightroom is behaving better and has now synced with Lightroom Mobile. I don't know exactly what I did, but knock on wood, it works. Thanks tonymacx86!

For (Hardcore Gaming) on OS X no any, but for OpenCL or Metal video rendering my tested HD 7950 and tested HD 7970 each is much faster than my tested GTX 980Ti, by a lot.. Tested Apps are Adobe Premier 2017, FCP X and DaVinci Resolve.

BTW, Cinebench 15 OpenGL also my HD 7970 scores faster with 131 fps wheres my GTX 980Ti 129 fps, HD 7950 scores 125 fps.

So as I am not asking OS X to do hardcore game for me, then the HD 7970/50 are much faster than GTX 980Ti/Titan for OS X imo, not mentioning that buggy Nvidia Web Driver.

Edit: GTX 980Ti 129 fps was done on El Capitan, new GTX 980Ti score on Sierra 10.12 is 107 fps, MSI HD 7970 Lightning still 131 fps and MSI HD 7950 score 125 fps.. So yeah, I do confirm there is AMD barely outdated cards which is faster than GTX 980Ti/Titan on Hackintosh and works natively.
Hi, there i have been making Hackintosh, for 4 Years, now and always with Nvidia Card. I keep 2 GTX660 for my working station FCPX. I am a professional Video Maker, and i own 2 video Stations, one with 4770K and a new one 6700K, I install today because your Post, a AMD 7950 for the first time, and Surprise, it work out the box, and FCPX is on a new planet. All is much faster, and i test also with Geekbench and Get 3X Time the score of the GTX660. I want to Thank you for your post it realy help, and for Video Producer its magical. The 7950 is cheap, and fast enough for professional editing. My Next move try to add 2X 7950 in my station. MM.

Hi, just to thank a million for this tread, it give me bravery to make the switch from GTX660 to AMD 7950, because of my intense use of FCPX (openGL big client) and Lightroom, my Video Station now work lighting fast with this software, and more stable without the bugy nvidia drivers. I use a lot Redgiant Effect with FCPX, and before with the GTX660 i got a lot of crash, now it realy stable. THANK this community. Thank Tony. (i buy the 7950 for less than 100$, from a guy).
My Config is Sierra 10.12.1, mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5, I7 6700K at 4.4Ghz, Corsair Vengeance Ram 3000Ghz. SSD Samsung 850EVO. Clean Install, and Multibeast 9.01, UEFI, Simple setup, without editing. ALL WORK.

I'm looking to convert my Hackintosh away from NVIDIA as it's no longer used for gaming on the Windows side and VERY intrigued by what I'm hearing about the AMD 7950.

Those of you using those...

Could you please share some thoughts or insights as to which brand to get, where you got yours and some general tips if looking to grab one?

Thank you so much!

Hi, there i have been making Hackintosh, for 4 Years, now and always with Nvidia Card. I keep 2 GTX660 for my working station FCPX. I am a professional Video Maker, and i own 2 video Stations, one with 4770K and a new one 6700K, I install today because your Post, a AMD 7950 for the first time, and Surprise, it work out the box, and FCPX is on a new planet. All is much faster, and i test also with Geekbench and Get 3X Time the score of the GTX660. I want to Thank you for your post it realy help, and for Video Producer its magical. The 7950 is cheap, and fast enough for professional editing. My Next move try to add 2X 7950 in my station. MM.
You are welcome kind Sir, this community have done lot for me so it would be my pleasure to give something back, share my experience and save others a lot of days and hours that I spent searching for the perfection..
Tony website is the magic and all the guys who are behind it, this tread is one of the most important ones we all should read as I mentioned that in a post before, thanks to Fl0r!an I found the secret behind having a perfect GPU for my build, thanks to all guys who never hesitate to give us tips, these guys works hard to find us solutions and workarounds.
Have a nice day, wish you the best with your new level machine.
Sorry for my En skills :)

Last edited:
Would something like this work for a Hack?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-AMD-Rad...170673?hash=item1a1cf81771:g:l7IAAOSwgZ1XsFav

i.e. Does having it flashed for use in a real Mac Pro like this one has been (to get proper boot screen) work on a Hack? Good idea?

I honestly don't even use sleep/wake, so that doesn't concern me. Having a legit Mac boot screen seems cool but I have no idea how that functions/not when you use Clover though.

Last edited:
I'm looking to convert my Hackintosh away from NVIDIA as it's no longer used for gaming on the Windows side and VERY intrigued by what I'm hearing about the AMD 7950.

Those of you using those...

Could you please share some thoughts or insights as to which brand to get, where you got yours and some general tips if looking to grab one?

Thank you so much!
Well as I know most of them works, but I used MSI R7950 Twin Frozr and MSI R7970 Lightning, but R7970 Lightning was not stable till I under-clocked it to 1400 because its heavily overclocked from factory.
There are also compatible R9 280X but not sure which one.

Would something like this work for a Hack?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-AMD-Rad...170673?hash=item1a1cf81771:g:l7IAAOSwgZ1XsFav

i.e. Does having it flashed for use in a real Mac Pro like this one has been (to get proper boot screen) work on a Hack? Good idea?

I honestly don't even use sleep/wake, so that doesn't concern me. Having a legit Mac boot screen seems cool but I have no idea how that functions/not when you use Clover though.
Flashed for a Mac is more expensive than the PC version and not necessary for a hack.

Flashed for a Mac is more expensive than the PC version and not necessary for a hack.

Thank you Stork - Thinking of a stock PowerColor one or maybe the MSI Twin Frozr ones... They seem plentiful.

Sounds like those should work according to the chart? (OOB, no issues other than sleep/wake)

Back