Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Theoretically it should be possible to mix even different models, but I think FCPX is a little picky. I think different 7970's might work, but I'd try to get identical cards, just to be sure.

Thx!

I may be forced to do a mix/match - If I do I will report back here on results.

Last edited:
Thx!

I may be forced to do a mix/match - If I do I will report back here on results.

I have a silly question. If crossfire isn't supported does plugging an additional card in actually provide a performance boost if using one video output, or does the second card simply provide an additional monitor?

If a performance boost, with A9 280X's being available for around $150 second hand, why wouldn't I just get another one and plug it in? Seems like a great performance boost for not many dollars.

Thanks!

Hi Fl0r!an, now i'm using El Capitan with R7 360. Now I want to upgrade to Sierra!!! Is R7 360 working on Sierra???

Theoretically it should be possible to mix even different models, but I think FCPX is a little picky. I think different 7970's might work, but I'd try to get identical cards, just to be sure.
Hi Fl0r!an,
Cant you explain this post #1039

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a RX470 for Mac OS, but the Polaris cards seems to need a "helper GPU" to avoid black screen issue.

My question is, is that possible to use an unsupported Nvidia pascal card as "helper GPU" for Polaris card?

@Celtan: No performance boost at all besides compute applications (OpenCL)

@Beg00d: Better don't upgrade, your GPU will boot to black screen unless using a helper GPU (e.g. iGPU).

@thisisanid: I'm not sure... Might be necessary to use a supported GPU, never tried that though.

@jazza: That's strange... OS X should usually pick up your GPU. Try booting without injection.

@Celtan: No performance boost at all besides compute applications (OpenCL)

@Beg00d: Better don't upgrade, your GPU will boot to black screen unless using a helper GPU (e.g. iGPU).

@thisisanid: I'm not sure... Might be necessary to use a supported GPU, never tried that though.

@jazza: That's strange... OS X should usually pick up your GPU. Try booting without injection.

I have iGPU Intel 530. Do I need to install another kext??? (Verde.kext)

I have iGPU Intel 530. Do I need to install another kext??? (Verde.kext)
You'll need to configure a different GPU (e.g. your HD 530) as primary graphics device, otherwise OS X will fail to initialize your Radeon R7 360. This means you'll have any pre-OS video output (e.g. UEFI splash screen / config, Clover boot manager) on your iGPU instead of your dGPU.

This is the only workaround so far.

do you know why R7 360 support very well on El Capitan but on Sierra it's like not support???

No. On Yosemite, all Radeon GPUs were able to init by themselves (except Cape Verde since ~10.10.3, which needed special power management settings).

El Capitan added the "boot to black screen" bug to 3rd gen GCN GPUs, and Sierra has extended this issue to 2nd gen (-> your GPU) and 4th gen GCN (-> Polaris) GPUs. We didn't understand why yet.

Long story short: Use the mentioned workaround, stay on El Capitan or get an Nvidia GPU, no more options than that.

Back