Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hi,
so the Vega64 is supported now in High Sierre awithout the need to hack anything or stuff like Lilu according to @ICEVISION .
Is there somehwhere an updated list which Radeaon sould be supported like the Vega64 ootb ? please?

I am currently searching for a replacement for mt Geforce GTX780ti, I dont really need as much power but more than the hd4600, stability is much more important.

The RX 460-560 series cards work, stay away from XFX (custom Vbios?), 75-100 watts. Geekbench Compute 75,000-80,000
The RX 470-580 models all work now. 150-200 watts, Geekbench Compute 105,000-135,000.
The RX Vega FE 16gb, Vega 64 8gb, Vega 56 8gb all work (High Sierra). 200-350watts, Geekbench compute 160,000-200,000.

I have a gigabyte RX 460 4gb it has been running in Sierra since Sept. 2016 in the betas its 75 watts and scores a Geekbench compute of 75,000 smooth as butter performance but limited to lower frame rates and lower resolutions. But for 1080p its a low power card that probably Geekbenches close to your 780ti. RX 480 is a great card as well and is well supported now in OS. The Vega cards are tops for the AMD cards but need a Lot of power (watts). Minimum 750 watt power supply needed for the average System. The RX Vega 56 8gb is the best for less power demand but you lose a bit of performance.

With the new clover 4297 all these cards are able to run in High Sierra. they are very stable and will survive updates no problem. No lilukext or whatever greenkext needed.

Don't get XFX Polaris 11 or 12 RX 550-560. All others should work.
Thanks for the reminder, you had shared that information earlier in the thread so I had referenced that and ordered the Asus rog since I like their fan system better(totally excessive for this card and thus runs fanless most of the time), and it has the highest clock speed baked into the bios(1326mhz). It will arrive Monday. I almost went for the 580, but I can upgrade later when things calm down to their MSRP prices

Ive tried everything but no luck, Everyitme ATI is inject i get panic on 10.13.1, its working gr8 on 10.11.6.

N if i ignore ATI Inject, AMD6000 n AMD3000 controller load but no QE/CI.

1.FakeID

2.Mieze DSDT Patch

3.DeInit

4.AMD6000 Controller Patch

5.WhateverGreen

6.replacing 4 kext as @slice said in one thread..

7.Directly patching Farmebuffer in AMD6000Controller and Added DevId In Kext.

m using AMDFrameBufferUtility App

The panic is regarding Legacy AMD ...

Ive tried everything but no luck, Everyitme ATI is inject i get panic on 10.13.1, its working gr8 on 10.11.6.

N if i ignore ATI Inject, AMD6000 n AMD3000 controller load but no QE/CI.

1.FakeID

2.Mieze DSDT Patch

3.DeInit

4.AMD6000 Controller Patch

5.WhateverGreen

6.replacing 4 kext as @slice said in one thread..

7.Directly patching Farmebuffer in AMD6000Controller and Added DevId In Kext.

m using AMDFrameBufferUtility App

The panic is regarding Legacy AMD ...

Change device ID in AMDRadeonHWServiceskext form 0x66411002 to 0x68411002. Or go to the other site where you posted I left you instructions.

The Legacy frame buffer tends to load when you don't have metal support or assigned controller or accelerator kexts. Its a default frame buffer with the 5-7mb support. Windows has a similar default frame buffer setup.

Last edited:
rx560 should be fine, If you could wait a bit I will get one Monday or Tuesday to test it out

Awesome ! I am exieted, please keep us up-to-date.

With the new clover 4297 all these cards are able to run in High Sierra. they are very stable and will survive updates no problem. No lilukext or whatever greenkext needed.

Awesome !

Thank you very much !

Last edited:
Change device ID in AMDRadeonHWServiceskext form 0x66411002 to 0x68411002. Or go to the other site where you posted I left you instructions.

The Legacy frame buffer tends to load when you don't have metal support or assigned controller or accelerator kexts. Its a default frame buffer with the 5-7mb support. Windows has a similar default frame buffer setup.

Good morning Gigamaxx I told that user in my Framebuffer patching guide about the dual graphics setup on a laptop not being supported in a hackintosh. So if they wish to get it going it will require multiple things. One disable the integrated GPU, Secondly patch the framebuffer either manually in the kext or with clover on the fly, Thirdly injectATI=true with the patched framebuffer, Fourthly either use Mieze's DSDT or SSDT patch to correct the base address registers between BAR2 and BAR5 or use RadeonDeInit=true in config.plist, and they may need to use FakeID additionally. As that graphics card was never supported very well.

Might be worth mentioning RadeonDeInit=true in the graphics section of the config.plist. This also allows CSM to be disabled to have a full UEFI system and having output on the monitor during boot up either with or without the iGPU. Also this works for all cards with a UEFI vBIOS.

Last edited:
Might be worth mentioning RadeonDeInit=true in the graphics section of the config.plist. This also allows CSM to be disabled to have a full UEFI system and having output on the monitor during boot up either with or without the iGPU. Also this works for all cards with a UEFI vBIOS.

Its been mentioned earlier, and is at the first post on this thread. This same user is on that other site where all this took place. This SSDT fix is great, I know that Mieze on first post has a legacy download, do you know of anyone that has made it work in legacy boot mode? This seems to be where most of the problems are on the older boards with no UEFI ability.

Its been mentioned earlier, and is at the first post on this thread. This same user is on that other site where all this took place. This SSDT fix is great, I know that Mieze on first post has a legacy download, do you know of anyone that has made it work in legacy boot mode? This seems to be where most of the problems are on the older boards with no UEFI ability.
Yeah I saw his post there. Since Clover 4296 with the use of RadeonDeInit=true this is doing the exact same thing as the DSDT(SSDT) patching Mieze found. I have a dual vBIOS on my card and can run some test tomorrow with CSM enabled and the vBIOS switched to the legacy rom and iGPU disabled or secondary and I’ll report back.

Back