Intel Core i7-4930K
Graphics
Radeon R9 280X 3GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
r9 2903mb.jpg r9 290 specs.jpg
Hi everybody, I bought new graphic card (title), now i've got some kext issues, i can't find the right kext (AMD8000Controller.kext) in the dir /System/Library/Extensions/AMD8000Controller.kext. and the sys freeze at waiting for the controller etc etc...

Can someone help me?

OK, but i'm a professional video editor, i can't upgrade osx until is stable and compatible with third party devices. I'm coming from a 7970, great card but a duple of days ago blowed up, so i bought a 290, because it's the natural choice (I tought), but now i don't know what to do. Cab I just put the kext in place? can I download it from someplace? Thanks a lot.

Pretty sure it can't be fully enabled in Mavericks: http://netkas.org/?p=1331

Besides that, the R9 290(X) is the last card I'd call "stable and compatible". Even on recent OS X it will usually crash with more than 1 display attached.

Get a R9 280X, I guess it's the best card for your system & needs. On the Nvidia side, you can go up to GTX 780/Titan I think.

I bought the card because i needed an upgrade for 4k editing, on anadtech i saw that is a better performer than the 7970, than i read the comments about the possibilities to create a build with the r9 290 so i bought because of the old card with the second bios doesn't perform well enough, so I'm here. Is the 280x good enough or it's better to buy another 7970 second hand? I use OpenCL apps like FCPX.
Thanks.

I bought the card because i needed an upgrade for 4k editing, on anadtech i saw that is a better performer than the 7970, than i read the comments about the possibilities to create a build with the r9 290 so i bought because of the old card with the second bios doesn't perform well enough, so I'm here. Is the 280x good enough or it's better to buy another 7970 second hand? I use OpenCL apps like FCPX.
Thanks.

The 280X is a fine card for editing FCP X. Basically a 280X is a slightly faster 7970 anyway. Can't comment on 4K editing as I don't do any. Get a Sapphire Vapour-X and do the EFI mod and thats it. I run dual 1920 x 1080 monitors on mine and its fine.

Rob

You can definitely install two 280X cards.

My main machine has dual 280X cards and three monitors. FCPX works very well with the two cards, though only with two monitors.

Rendering is a lot quicker with dual 280X cards.

Rob.

The 280X is a fine card for editing FCP X. Basically a 280X is a slightly faster 7970 anyway. Can't comment on 4K editing as I don't do any. Get a Sapphire Vapour-X and do the EFI mod and thats it. I run dual 1920 x 1080 monitors on mine and its fine.

Rob

Thanks a lot, that's great, but i don't know how to do the EFI mod and I don't know what is it... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back