Contribute
Register

Quicklook Doesn't Preview jpgs, mp3 nor mp4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in another forum but worth mentioning here...never seen this idea before and wonder if it would effect quicksync. I also wonder if this is how a real Mac is connected internally. Essentially the iGPU and AMD/Nvidia card are linked together via a cable then you use the USB-C out to your monitor.

It may explain why there are so many issues in Hacks with DRM and quicksync when an iGPU is involved?? Perhaps they need an additional connection like this?

Just a guess. Will give it a try.

Last edited:
I posted this in another forum but worth mentioning here...never seen this idea before and wonder if it would effect quicksync. I also wonder if this is how a real Mac is connected internally. Essentially the iGPU and AMD/Nvidia card are linked together via a cable then you use the USB-C out to your monitor.

It may explain why there are so many issues in Hacks with DRM and quicksync when an iGPU is involved?? Perhaps they need an additional connection like this?

Just a guess. Will give it a try.

the IGPU is configured as no framebuffer in offline mode, you can't get any video signal from the the onboard video port.

hi, i did change my smbios to macpro 6,1 and quiclook is working fine but the problem is that i think it broke my usb limit even if i fix it on the kernel and patches this doesn't seem to have any effect ! why is my usb limit patch not working on macpro 6.1 ?

Last edited:
Hello again @vulgo and @ekohn00 and @markmac and everyone else with this problem.

I dived into the Framework suggested by @vulgo and the Info.plist to check it out.

Basically it contains a list of Board IDs and a "key" or toggle for:

<key>forceOfflineRenderer</key>
<true/>
<key>jpeg</key>
<true/>

... under each Board ID (well most)

The iMac14,2 System Definition Board ID I was using *is* listed in the plist with the above key.

At first I wasn't sure how to read this so then checked the MacPro6,1 I had changed to as I mention before.

The MacPro6,1 Board ID *is not* listed.

So I copied the Info.plist and removed the section for the iMac14,2 Board ID, saved the plist and copied it back into the Framework (you need to do this carefully as you'll be required to verify each deletion and name change you do).

Anyway, without the iMac14,2 board ID in there I now have everything back to as it was before and Preview and Quicklook now work perfectly with JPEGs. :thumbup:

Thank you for the pointer @vulgo :)

Quite why Apple have done this is confusing. Why would they disable hardware rendering of JPEGs, or any other files for that matter, on so many quite recent Board IDs?

o_O
I just did like you said and Preview and Quicklook now work perfectly with JPEGs.
For Product model I use iMac 18.2
Thank you :)

I have tried the new release on my system but it did not work as well. I will leave my IGPU enabled and wih the use of -disablegfxfirmware in Boot section of Clover my system starts fast again. I don't know what this parameter really do but in my case it solves all problems. I can see that both adapters are working. The second system for my son has Mac Pro 5,1 SMBIOS now as it has sleep problems when I enable IGPU. Thanks for your help. I guess in a while there will be a working fix.

Good morning, I read that you successfully installed macOS 10.14 with your AMD Radeon RX 570. May I ask your for the exact GPU model number? What PSU model are you using? The reason why I am asking for these informations is because I tried a XFX Radeon RX-580 (RX-580P427D6), but was unable to work for a straight 30 minutes. The issue was repetitive freezes and reboots. I was wondering if the problem was the card itself or an underpowered PSU(Evga SuperNova 750, 750W). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back