Contribute
Register

Quick Sync hardware encode w/ nVideo card as primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that's so. None of my systems have Quick Sync enabled and all are capable of AirPlay mirroring. From HD4000 systems to RX280 to HD530.

That's contrary to what I've read...

"We took the feature for a spin following Mountain Lion's launch last Wednesday, and found that it worked exactly as advertised—as long as you have a supported Mac. That "supported Mac" limitation is important, however: only 2011 or newer MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, Mac minis, and iMacs can use Mountain Lion's built-in AirPlay support. Have a 2010 MacBook Air? A Mac Pro? An older iMac? Well, there's no Airplay Mirroring for you.
The reason, we discovered, is that the feature relies on Intel's QuickSync hardware-accelerated video compression technology. QuickSync is a feature of the integrated graphics built into Intel's Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge series processors."

Source: Mountain Lion AirPlay mirroring v. AirParrot: fight! | Ars Technica

Have you used AirPlay without Quick Sync? Does it work well?

One more thing you guys seem to be missing. H.265/HEVC was designed to shrink file size for a given quality level, not improve video quality or speed up encoding/decoding. If anything, HEVC requires so much more hardware support for playback and encoding vs. H.264 that your system needs to be much more powerful (and power-hungry) just to achieve the same level of performance with HEVC as it does with H.264, even though there's no quality improvement whatsoever. It's all about maximizing compression and throwing the burden of packing and unpacking to the hardware, which in a lot of cases isn't really up to the task.

You are better off sticking with H.264 for the time being. Your file sizes will be slightly larger but your hardware will work better and faster, and it will look exactly as good and in most cases better than if you encoded to HEVC.

Try it for yourself. Go back to an H.264 workflow again and watch everything go smoother and fly faster. Same or better image quality. Less stress on the hardware. Give up on the idea of fitting all your stuff on an SSD, because that's all HEVC was really intended to do. It's not about better image quality. It's just telling everyone "Hey look your files are so much smaller!" without telling them "Oh by the way your hardware needs to be much better and faster to encode and play it back, and your mobile devices will eat their batteries faster too, so there's that. But hey, smaller files, amiright?"

That's contrary to what I've read...

"We took the feature for a spin following Mountain Lion's launch last Wednesday, and found that it worked exactly as advertised—as long as you have a supported Mac. That "supported Mac" limitation is important, however: only 2011 or newer MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, Mac minis, and iMacs can use Mountain Lion's built-in AirPlay support. Have a 2010 MacBook Air? A Mac Pro? An older iMac? Well, there's no Airplay Mirroring for you.
The reason, we discovered, is that the feature relies on Intel's QuickSync hardware-accelerated video compression technology. QuickSync is a feature of the integrated graphics built into Intel's Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge series processors."

Source: Mountain Lion AirPlay mirroring v. AirParrot: fight! | Ars Technica

Have you used AirPlay without Quick Sync? Does it work well?
Works perfectly. I can AirPlay HD video from any of my Hacks to my AppleTV and none of them have Quick Sync enabled. That said, they're all running El Capitan, so that might account for why things work vs. older versions of OS X like ML, or newer, more issue-plagued versions like HS.

None of my systems have Quick Sync enabled and all are capable of AirPlay mirroring.

This is so weird, AirPlay mirroring can work without IGPU enable, how to????

Weird indeed... I know for a fact that AirPlay was unavailable on my HP Elite 8300 until I enabled the IGPU.

This is so weird, AirPlay mirroring can work without IGPU enable, how to????
I didn't say iGPU was disabled, I said Intel Quick Sync was not enabled. I've played around with all the backflips to get Quick Sync working and a few times I even succeeded but in the end it wasn't worth the trouble and brought nothing to the table I needed or wanted. So I don't worry about it anymore. I am interested in maximizing quality and Quick Sync is not about that at all. That's why I am curious about all the FCPX users here worrying about Quick Sync. It seems odd to invest in an expensive beefy GPU like an RX580 and then worry about enabling mediocre encoding on the free iGPU.

I have x99 GA-UD4 , 5820k OC to 4.3 and Saphire RX580 Nitro + 8GB. When I export 5 mins 1080p video in FCPX takes about 5mins. I don't know it's normal or am I missing some setting to shorten the expert time. any explanation will be appreciate. good hack.

Impossible to tell you how your system's doing with your own 5 min test clip. No way to compare with anyone else using that same clip. Instead, benchmark your system with the BruceX test:

https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

Download the BruceX benchmark test file and follow the directions on the site to test your system's speed with FCPX exporting. Follow the instructions to the letter -- turn off background rendering, pre-launch Quicktime Player, etc.

Report back with your BruceX time. This should give you a good idea of how fast and optimized your system is for FCPX exporting. Given your specs, I would guess a BruceX time of 15 secs or less. I get 12 secs with an overclocked 3770K and an R9 280X GPU. Of course, that's with FCPX 10.3.4 and El Capitan - the same system running High Sierra and FCPX 10.4 doubles the time it takes to complete the BruceX test. That's why I went back to El Cap and FCPX 10.3.4. Seems with my hardware, OpenCL is a better bet than Metal2.

Yes it should work the same way with Vega. Enable the IGPU in BIOS but keep your Vega as primary.

Find out the headless ig-platform-id for your CPU/IGPU and enter it in to config.plist.

You may or may not need Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicFixup.kext. I did not need it for my Ivy Bridge but needed it for Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake.

Thanks for the reply Pastrychef!

Will have to investigate google how i get this headless id :) and report back!

Is your system 100% freeze free with your 1080 GPU?

I would like to test your solution with renaming if you can try something for me, to see if your FCP X is fully able to run as a real mac. Below is tested on my work iMac and runs stabilization perfectly - but I haven't heard 1 hackintosh with Vega cards, that can run this without freeze/crash.

Just import the file (link below from dropbox), and once done, try and use stabilization - try turning it on and off - if it doesn't crash at first).

Link to video clip (101mb) - 1080p H.264
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jwbdkqvwvj71s3/test.mov?dl=0

Impossible to tell you how your system's doing with your own 5 min test clip. No way to compare with anyone else using that same clip. Instead, benchmark your system with the BruceX test:

https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

Download the BruceX benchmark test file and follow the directions on the site to test your system's speed with FCPX exporting. Follow the instructions to the letter -- turn off background rendering, pre-launch Quicktime Player, etc.

Report back with your BruceX time. This should give you a good idea of how fast and optimized your system is for FCPX exporting. Given your specs, I would guess a BruceX time of 15 secs or less. I get 12 secs with an overclocked 3770K and an R9 280X GPU. Of course, that's with FCPX 10.3.4 and El Capitan - the same system running High Sierra and FCPX 10.4 doubles the time it takes to complete the BruceX test. That's why I went back to El Cap and FCPX 10.3.4. Seems with my hardware, OpenCL is a better bet than Metal2.

Thanks mate, BruceX benchmark is about 19 secs and geekbench 4 opencl is 147k. I am just cutting some gameplay 1080p footage and rendered that means no effects and titles so far. I don’t mind going back to El Capitan but as far as know Rx 580 would not work. By the way I tried both sierra and high sierra and fcpx 10.3.4 and 10.4 but results were almost identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back