Contribute
Register

Quick Sync hardware encode w/ nVideo card as primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
BruceX in 19secs with FCPX 10.4 and High/Sierra is a very good time. Looks like you're getting all the speed you paid for out of that RX580. I don't know whether the RX580 would work with El Capitan, but I'd wager you'd see twice as fast FCPX performance under El Cap and 10.3.4 if you can get your GPU working with El Cap. 10.3.4's OpenCL rendering seems to be better optimized at this point than 10.4's Metal2 rendering.

Last edited:
I didn't say iGPU was disabled, I said Intel Quick Sync was not enabled.

When IGPU is enabled, part of IQSV feature (AirPlay) already started, therefore you already in IQSV mode.

Others IQSV feature like GVA decoder / encoder need match SMBIOS and settings of AppleGVA info.plist

Thanks for the reply Pastrychef!

Will have to investigate google how i get this headless id :) and report back!

Is your system 100% freeze free with your 1080 GPU?

I would like to test your solution with renaming if you can try something for me, to see if your FCP X is fully able to run as a real mac. Below is tested on my work iMac and runs stabilization perfectly - but I haven't heard 1 hackintosh with Vega cards, that can run this without freeze/crash.

Just import the file (link below from dropbox), and once done, try and use stabilization - try turning it on and off - if it doesn't crash at first).

Link to video clip (101mb) - 1080p H.264
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jwbdkqvwvj71s3/test.mov?dl=0

I'm not a FCPX user. I asked a friend to stabilize this on a hack that I built. Very similar to my own build.

Stabilized: https://mab.to/fkwY8oJ33
*This link will self destruct and disappear after 3 days.

I'm not a FCPX user. I asked a friend to stabilize this on a hack that I built. Very similar to my own build.

Stabilized: https://mab.to/fkwY8oJ33
*This link will self destruct and disappear after 3 days.

Thank you, Thank you!

I will most definately move back to Nvidia if 10.13.4 or 10.13.5 doesn’t solve our fanspeed issue and the crash & freeze in FCP X.

Could I make one last request? Which card is he using, and do you know what his Bruce X time (benchmark) is with his card?

Many thanks in advance :)

https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

Thank you, Thank you!

I will most definately move back to Nvidia if 10.13.4 or 10.13.5 doesn’t solve our fanspeed issue and the crash & freeze in FCP X.

Could I make one last request? Which card is he using, and do you know what his Bruce X time (benchmark) is with his card?

Many thanks in advance :)

https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

She is currently using my GTX 1080. I lent it to her to use until her backordered RX 580 Pulse is delivered.

It's very late now. I will ask if she has time to try BruceX tomorrow.

@pastrychef Thanks a million. Much appreciated.

Is she going to use the 580 AMD because of added speed/compatability to FCP X of some sorts?

@pastrychef Thanks a million. Much appreciated.

Is she going to use the 580 AMD because of added speed/compatability to FCP X of some sorts?

Since she's not very technically inclined, I didn't want her to deal with Nvidia web drivers after each OS update so I thought it would be easier for her to maintain if she went with an RX 580. The decision was made mostly for convenience more so than for performance reasons.

Back story:
She went through three of the most current MacBook Pros and had to return all of them due to hardware graphics issues. During all the turmoil, she borrowed my HP Elite 8300 to use so that she could at least get her work done. She fell in love with the reliability/stability and asked me to build her something with current hardware as she found the Elite 8300 a tad slow.

She is currently very happy with the performance of her new hack and I expect that she will be equally as happy when her RX 580 arrives. She's not the type who will be sitting around with a stopwatch timing everything. She will simply complain to me when things "feel too slow"...

Last edited:
Since she's not very technically inclined, I didn't want her to deal with Nvidia web drivers after each OS update so I thought it would be easier for her to maintain if she went with an RX 580. The decision was made mostly for convenience more so than for performance reasons.

She is currently very happy with the performance of her new hack and I expect that she will be equally as happy when her RX 580 arrives. She's not the type who will be sitting around with a stopwatch timing everything. She will simply complain to me when things "feel too slow"...

I see. I hope the 580 RX is more OOTB ready then Vega cards (they work no problem, but there are still certain issues, that can crash like certain video files in FCP X).

I am very interested how it goes with that card in her Hackintosh. Can it run the clip with stabilization etc. then im very much going that route, as I can see from 1080 bruce tests, that they are about twice as slow as AMD.

Hopefully she will be very happy with her build - and there is nothing like updating the mac worry-free :)

About that Integrated GPU (Iris Pro 4600), I have turned it on in the BIOS, I see it is detected in Mac OS (see screenshots). But did I need to put something in the config.plist? Header? Where do I get that?.

I just tried to run the same clip in FCP X to see if anything had changed, but it still freezes my mac.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 14.11.47.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 14.11.47.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 14.11.55.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 14.11.55.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 204
I see. I hope the 580 RX is more OOTB ready then Vega cards (they work no problem, but there are still certain issues, that can crash like certain video files in FCP X).

I am very interested how it goes with that card in her Hackintosh. Can it run the clip with stabilization etc. then im very much going that route, as I can see from 1080 bruce tests, that they are about twice as slow as AMD.

Hopefully she will be very happy with her build - and there is nothing like updating the mac worry-free :)

About that Integrated GPU (Iris Pro 4600), I have turned it on in the BIOS, I see it is detected in Mac OS (see screenshots). But did I need to put something in the config.plist? Header? Where do I get that?.

I just tried to run the same clip in FCP X to see if anything had changed, but it still freezes my mac.

I find it hard to believe that the FCPX crashes are due to the Vega graphics card since they are what's used in the new iMac Pros.

Yes, Nvidia graphics cards are consistently slower than AMD cards in every BruceX benchmark I've ever seen. There are also a fair number of people who have been reporting lagginess when using Nvidia cards. I personally don't see much of it (only a slight lag when going from full screen mode back to normal), but there are enough people complaining that I have to believe it's a real issue. Also, I have difficulty viewing 3D models on www.sketchfab.com. Below is a screenshot using Nvidia graphics and one using Intel graphics:
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 8.58.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 8.59.41 AM.png

I don't know which SMBIOS you are using or how the IGPU is supposed to behave in those models... I use iMac18,3 system definition and on these models, the IGPU is not seen in System Information even though they are present and functioning. I think you have to change your ig-platform-id to one that is headless... Also, I would recommend doing the ACPI DSDT renames in your config.plist to best match with what is expected from your SMBIOS.
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 9.12.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 9.13.22 AM.png

I would like to know the normal BruceX score for a GTx 1080 as well. I am on GTx 980 and Coffee Lake 8700, with or without QuickSync enabled, BruceX needs over 5 mins to complete(too long that I stopped the stopwatch)! It's doing worse than a 2013 Macbook Pro!

In fact, the whole UI become unresponsive as long as I have BruceX opened, and would only return to normal a few mins after I closed BruceX timeline in FCPX.

She is currently using my GTX 1080. I lent it to her to use until her backordered RX 580 Pulse is delivered.

It's very late now. I will ask if she has time to try BruceX tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back