Contribute
Register

Quick Sync hardware encode w/ nVideo card as primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe that the FCPX crashes are due to the Vega graphics card since they are what's used in the new iMac Pro

@pastrychef Yes indeed, but the error only occurs with Vega cards. I had several people on the forum to test my video clip (which works on a real 5k iMac 27" with AMD), and no one came back without freeze/crash.

Some have suggested that FCP X needs partial or full internal gpu active - but none have had success with that yet (still freeze/crash). Another person tested the same clip with High Sierra and a RX 580 card, and it worked.

I will test the headless IGPU this weekend. To see if it makes a difference for me :)

Last edited:
I would like to know the normal BruceX score for a GTx 1080 as well. I am on GTx 980 and Coffee Lake 8700, with or without QuickSync enabled, BruceX needs over 5 mins to complete(too long that I stopped the stopwatch)! It's doing worse than a 2013 Macbook Pro!

In fact, the whole UI become unresponsive as long as I have BruceX opened, and would only return to normal a few mins after I closed BruceX timeline in FCPX.

Sorry. I completely forgot to reply with her results. Anyway...

macOS 10.13.2
i7-7700K @5.1GHz w/ Quick Sync enabled
GTX 1080
Final Cut Pro X 10.4
BruxeX Test 5K: 24 seconds

Now that's interesting, that sounds to me her hack is using the GTx 1080 to render while Quick Sync is enabled. But then I think I did try that by disabling iGPU in BIOS once last night, and result was still well over 3 mins.

I'll take a movie to show you guys how horrible it is in FCPX if BruceX Timeline is opened, it's not as bad if I disable iGPU, but still quite unbearable.

I'm beginning to think that something in my rig is wrong and will bog down the whole machine in certain condition, e.g. BruceX Timeline opened.

Sorry. I completely forgot to reply with her results. Anyway...

macOS 10.13.2
i7-7700K @5.1GHz w/ Quick Sync enabled
GTX 1080
Final Cut Pro X 10.4
BruxeX Test 5K: 24 seconds

Tried fcpx 10.3.4 and sierra 10.12.6, BruceX benchmark was average of 17secs without background render. But when I rendered 10mins of 1080p video(without title and effects) took 5 mins but I guessed it used more CPU than GPU as it triggered CPU almost 80% and more. I also noticed it used VTEncoderXPCService in Activity Monitor. Then I checked chess game it hanged. I don’t know it’s normal or something strange. Any information will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Tried fcpx 10.3.4 and sierra 10.12.6, BruceX benchmark was average of 17secs without background render. But when I rendered 10mins of 1080p video(without title and effects) took 5 mins but I guessed it used more CPU than GPU as it triggered CPU almost 80% and more. I also noticed it used VTEncoderXPCService in Activity Monitor. Then I checked chess game it hanged. I don’t know it’s normal or something strange. Any information will be appreciated.
Try disabling your iGPU in BIOS, unticking the “Inject Intel” from Clover, and see if that speeds up FCPX for you. I’ve found that forcing OS X and especially macOS to use just the discrete GPU encourages FCPX to lean more fully on the GPU for rendering, speeding up everything.

I found that FCPX ProMSRendererTool will use my GTx 980 no matter the status of QuickSync, unless it's trying to transcode h.264 or h.265 and as soon as I look at BruceX at FCPX, my UI go crazily sluggish. So I fired up the OpenGL monitor and see what's going on. Arhh... I have a 2560x1440 monitor and a 3840x2160 monitor connected to my GTx 980, so I dragged the FCPX window around to different monitor while looking at the OpenGL monitor. It's the 4K monitor that's slowing everything down, even if it is the only monitor connected and set to 2560x1440, I guess it's the dithering because the video card still have to feed 4K resolution. As soon as I disconnect it and have the standard 2560x1440 as the only display, everything is back to standard speed.

Hmm... Should I get a GTx 1080, that's the question... I don't mind being a little slower on FCPX (compare to AMD) since I also do a lot of gaming on dual boot, I just worry that nVidia may one day stop supporting future macOS. Maybe Vega64? But then I found that all the RX580 or Vega is either out of stock or ridiculously expensive because of those mining business...

Last edited:
Hello I did not understand anything about how and what I have to change to activate the quick sync, I have an i5 6600k (HD530) and a GTX1050Ti what should I do?

Hi! I am very happy that this thread has been made. I just built my mackintosh with an i5-7500 and RX560 so I could edit using Final Cut Pro X. How would I go about enabling Intel Quick Sync for an i5-7500? My SMBIOS is set to iMac 18,2. I have uploaded my current config.plist. I am very new to hackintoshing, so I might need further explanation for some things. Thank you so much! :D

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.5 KB · Views: 242
There are a few things you need to do no matter your have AMD or nVidia dGPU, like having correct ig-platform-id, setting up BIOS correctly etc. But nVidia have NvidiagraphicsFixup.kext to fix IOVARendererID/SubID issue, I am really not sure how to go about this with AMD dGPU.

Hi! I am very happy that this thread has been made. I just built my mackintosh with an i5-7500 and RX560 so I could edit using Final Cut Pro X. How would I go about enabling Intel Quick Sync for an i5-7500? My SMBIOS is set to iMac 18,2. I have uploaded my current config.plist. I am very new to hackintoshing, so I might need further explanation for some things. Thank you so much! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back