Gigabyte GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
HI everybody!

I built my first hack about 2 years ago (in my seg) and it's running 10.6.8 perfectly, but I can't beat this feeling and want to upgrade to ML!

Tried to upgrade to ML on my existing hardware but got some issues related to sleep/wake and don't have the proper skill to identify the problem and fix it (mostly it's a DSDT issue I think, using the latest one from the database, but looks like it needs some edits for ML). So, I'm thinking now about buying new mobo and Ivy CPU.

Mostly I'm going to GA-Z77X-UD5H and i7-3770, but before buying the mobo and after reading a lot of topics about it, and I know it's included in CustoMac recommendations, I want to ask some questions:

- Do anybody have issues with analoge sound and ethernet? I know they should work fine using the right selections from MB.
- Do anybody have issues with sleep/wake/restar?
- Do anybody use Apple branded bluetooth module with it? if so do you have any issues/delay in connection after wake from sleep (I have about 10 sec delay after wake from sleep using the Magic Mouse on my P55-USB3, thought it maybe a USB power management issue related to this particular model)?
- Do anybody have any other issues?

HI everybody!

I built my first hack about 2 years ago (in my seg) and it's running 10.6.8 perfectly, but I can't beat this feeling and want to upgrade to ML!

Tried to upgrade to ML on my existing hardware but got some issues related to sleep/wake and don't have the proper skill to identify the problem and fix it (mostly it's a DSDT issue I think, using the latest one from the database, but looks like it needs some edits for ML). So, I'm thinking now about buying new mobo and Ivy CPU.

Mostly I'm going to GA-Z77X-UD5H and i7-3770, but before buying the mobo and after reading a lot of topics about it, and I know it's included in CustoMac recommendations, I want to ask some questions:

- Do anybody have issues with analoge sound and ethernet? I know they should work fine using the right selections from MB.
- Do anybody have issues with sleep/wake/restar?
- Do anybody use Apple branded bluetooth module with it? if so do you have any issues/delay in connection after wake from sleep (I have about 10 sec delay after wake from sleep using the Magic Mouse on my P55-USB3, thought it maybe a USB power management issue related to this particular model)?
- Do anybody have any other issues?

I upgraded to Z77X-UD5H and i7-3770 from a P55-USB3 and everything is generally fine, just minor issues.

Sleep works fine from the menu selection, but it will not sleep automatically, to do this you will need to use Please Sleep which works great.

I had a few issues with sound but solved these with the system definition as Mac Pro 3,1 instead of Imac 12,2. The Imac Definition seemed to solve some problems before Multibeast 5. Sound comes from the Black & Orange Jacks and is as good as my previous board.

My apple branded bluetooth also works great but there is a delay if I wake with my trackpad while it disconnects and reconnects. Where as before I found if a woke from my trackpad it would not work at all. On my old board I had the power for the bluetooth coming off a pci connection, which caused sleep to fail so switched it to the USB with a voltage regulator. I might have a play at the weekend and switch it back to the pci source and see if this improves anything.

The Sata chipset shows up as unknown in about my mac but there is a kext injector available on here if you look, or give me a shout if you need it, that solves the problem.

The only issue I have is the that if you overclock the processor the usb devices unmount when sleeping. This only happens with an overclock. So you have to wait around 20 seconds so you can log in after sleep.

Apart from these minor issues it's pretty straight forward and rock solid once up and running. If you need anymore info give me a shout.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the clear reply, so we are pretty similar :) are you running ML now?

I also use a voltage regulator to to drop voltage from 5 to 3.3 for the bluetooth, so I will not see any difference in this field, that's OK!

Not looking for overclock since I'm going to the locked version of the processor, so this will not be a problem.

But since this mobo are featured in CustoMac builds, I thought it shout be with no issues, or maybe you have the sleep issue because of an app or disc drive?

Thanks so much!

I've noticed that the usb3 ports on the back of the machine don't seem to run at full speed. To be fair the sysinfo shows a couple of usb3 hubs but they may be referring to the internal connections and the usb3 device I'm testing with is a usb3 thumbdrive. The biggest issue I'm having is that when waking from sleep every now and then the mouse pointer isn't visible when waking from sleep. The mouse works and I can click and things respond as if the mouse was pointing at things. Just no visible pointer.

Other than that everything is working fine including sound and the onboard HD4000 video adapter. Although I have to use the DVI output instead of VGA

Thanks for the clear reply, so we are pretty similar :) are you running ML now?

I also use a voltage regulator to to drop voltage from 5 to 3.3 for the bluetooth, so I will not see any difference in this field, that's OK!

Not looking for overclock since I'm going to the locked version of the processor, so this will not be a problem.

But since this mobo are featured in CustoMac builds, I thought it shout be with no issues, or maybe you have the sleep issue because of an app or disc drive?

Thanks so much!

I think the Auto sleep issue is a problem for most ivy bridge boards, but Please Sleep works a treat.

Edit : I have changed darkwake=0 to darkwake=no in my boot.plist and auto sleep seems to be now working.

Overall this is a rock solid set up, Tonight for the first time I have had my machine doing some hard work and it never faltered. I wouldn't let the minor issue put you off.

I will keep you posted on the bluetooth experiment.

Edit : Bluetooth power from pci express slot makes no difference and ruins sleep as well, stick to the usb solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back