Contribute
Register

Question About Upgrading From Yosemite To Big Sur or Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more question folks:

In terms of updating to Monterey or Big Sur, what happens with the Yosemite serial number, Hardware UUID and such?

Do I just forget those and use the new info from the new OC process?

...or am I recycling that info?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi there.

You need to check the system-definition you are using first, as more recent versions of macOS have dropped support for older Mac machine types.

For example, here are the machine types supported by Monterey:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...le-from-the-mac-app-store.316360/post-2282302

For Big Sur generally 2013 machines are not supported, only Mac Pros. So, for example, iMac14,2 is no-longer an option. You need to update to at least iMac17,1 in my opinion. This causes new serial-numbers to be generated. You could just edit back in your old ones - and you may need to if expensive software is activated against it. If not though, then Apple ID will just register two different machines. Your choice. Remember to de-activate any software you can prior to installing new. And for safety build your new system on a fresh drive and keep your old one as a safe back-up.

:)

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all the help you've given thus far.

I'm trying to form these new questions so that it makes some sense here.

But simply put, I'm at a crossroads and I probably shouldn't be at this crossroads.
But, I'm naturally over-cautious and I'm also a bit confused as to how to solve the system-definition and iGPU / dGPU riddles.

Some details that I didn't share earlier...

My Chimera-based Hack which is still at Yosemite, I think I have finally decided to just upgrade to Big Sur. This machine has a MacPro1,1 system-definition and it also uses dual video monitors for display from a GT 740 card.

I see your recommendations to use either iMac or Mac mini system-definitions. Is there a reason to avoid the MacPro6,1 or 7,1 system-definitions?

I also have a RX560 video card that I could use for upgrading to Monterey. But, maybe I'll take a baby step first.

As for the iGPU choice, does that mean that I can't use the video card at all... and vice versa with dGPU, does it mean that I can only use the video card graphics and never the internal video ports?

Sorry to be somewhat annoying, but I want to understand the nature of just what the choices mean in the long run.

Many thanks in advance.

I see your recommendations to use either iMac or Mac mini system-definitions
iMac 15,1 is the best choice for your hardware. The 2014 iMac 5K Retina 27" used the exact same i7-4790K CPU. Can't do any better than that. The GT740 will also work with Big Sur but support ends there.

Mac mini 7,1 is only needed if you want to install Monterey and use the iGPU only. iMac 15,1 lost support in Monterey so it's not an option with that OS.

HD4600, which your i7 has, works perfectly well with Monterey so you do have that option. You could use the RX560 and probably iMac 17,1 SMBIOS for the closest match.
As for the iGPU choice, does that mean that I can't use the video card at all... and vice versa with dGPU, does it mean that I can only use the video card graphics and never the internal video ports?
You can use both at the same time or run the iGPU headless if you'd like faster encoding with Intel Quicksync.

If you do go with either Big Sur or Monterey, then use OpenCore bootloader. Clover isn't the best option for either of those two so switching now will make everything, inlcluding updates, easier for you.

Read the following post on Haswell systems and Monterey for all the details. Post questions there as well.

Last edited:
iMac 15,1 is the best choice for your hardware. The 2014 iMac 5K Retina 27" used the exact same i7-4790K CPU. Can't do any better than that. The GT740 will also work with Big Sur but support ends there.

Mac mini 7,1 is only needed if you want to install Monterey and use the iGPU only. iMac 15,1 lost support in Monterey so it's not an option with that OS.

HD4600, which your i7 has, works perfectly well with Monterey so you do have that option. You could use the RX560 and probably iMac 17,1 SMBIOS for the closest match.

You can use both at the same time or run the iGPU headless if you'd like faster encoding with Intel Quicksync.

If you do go with either Big Sur or Monterey, then use OpenCore bootloader. Clover isn't the best option for either of those two so switching now will make everything, inlcluding updates, easier for you.

Read the following post on Haswell systems and Monterey for all the details. Post questions there as well.

Thanks trs96!!!!

Yes. I have been studying the OC website. Reading everything over and over as they suggest. I also have been looking at a number of OC-based hackintosh videos that go over the process, so that I can actually see it with my eyes as well.

Another stupid question is whether using OC_Gen-X poses a problem as OC is at 8.0 and OC_Gen-X is stuck at OC 6.9 or something?

It offers a short cut, but could be annoying too, if I have to switch out tons of stuff.

Thoughts?

Again, many, many thanks!!!

whether using OC_Gen-X poses a problem as OC is at 8.0 and OC_Gen-X is stuck at OC 6.9 or something?
It's at 0.7.6 so you could use it for sure with Big Sur but I'd use the latest 0.8.0 version with Monterey. Your choice.
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 9.08.07 PM.png

It's at 0.7.6 so you could use it for sure with Big Sur but I'd use the latest 0.8.0 version with Monterey. Your choice.
View attachment 547288
Thanks Again!!!

I will definitely use it.
Hahaha!!!

Truly appreciate these golden nuggets of experience and wisdom.

Again, many, many thanks!!!

Hi folks,
I'm baaaack!!!
Working on my hack and actually enjoying the challenge.
I'm more comfortable that I have ever been doing this stuff.
Less sweat and more reading.

Amyways, I ran into a wall, that I'm not sure how to solve...

Config Validator OpenCore 0.7.7
Drag config.plist file to verify it
Start of verification:
OCS: Missing key AssetTag, context <Devices>!
OCS: Missing key BankLocator, context <Devices>!
OCS: Missing key DeviceLocator, context <Devices>!
OCS: Missing key Manufacturer, context <Devices>!
OCS: Missing key PartNumber, context <Devices>!
OCS: Missing key SerialNumber, context <Devices>!
OCS: Missing key Size, context <Devices>!
OCS: Missing key Speed, context <Devices>!
Serialisation returns 8 errors!
Completed validating /Users/EFI/OC/config.plist in 2 ms. Found 8 issues requiring attention.

I don't see these items listed in the Devices section.
I know I missed something.
What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks.

I think you have selected SampleCustom.plist instead of Sample.plist to compare with your config.plist. SampleCustom has a memory section usually not needed. Try Sample.plist or delete entire key PlatformInfo > Memory.

Many thanks once again @trs96
I saw a note somewhere similar in my searching, but it was very specific to the author's question, so I didn't think it would apply to me. I also wasn't sure where the source of the problem was.

Man, it really takes a village to raise a child.
I think I've got some training wheels now.

LOL.

Many thanks again

Hi folks,
Thanks for all of the insights shared on this journey.
Things have gone pretty good thus far with this hack project.
Reading, then re-reading, then, scanning the instructions again, REALLY helps.
The devil is in the details... for sure.

It seems as if I have the machine up and running on the most part.
I believe I have gotten USB 2 & 3 to behave properly.

My current challenge is SATA.
I use a Cooler Master HAF XB EVO case which is huge, easy on my hands and easy to maneuver.
It also has slots for 6 internal drives.

I can only access two internal drives now.
I was wondering if this is a byproduct of using iMac system definition.
But, I have read that there are some issues with Big Sur and older SATA controllers.

I have installed and tested, then switched out between...

CtlnaAHCIPort.kext
SATA-unsupported-kext
AHCIPortInjector.kext

...to solve this.

I know that I'm missing something because I don't see any instructions on how to add numerics to config.plist for any of these kexts.

Any ideas or experiences with disappearing SATA drives?

Many thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back