1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not really a newbie, but I'm very newbie-ish... call me a sophomore.
I have a Yosemite Hack that a friend built for me using Clover a couple years ago.
it works reasonably well, but it has occasional reboot issues and USB drama.

It's based on a...
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX Mother board,
  • an i7-4790K Intel processor
  • a GT 740 SC Graphics Card
I'd like to upgrade it to either Big Sur or Monterey using Open Core.
I think I want to go with a clean install and skip the existing system.
I have modded a couple HP 8300 Elites into Hacks using Open Core and I have a better understanding than I did a few years ago.

I'm studying on Dortania, but, I have some questions since I wasn't the architect of the Yosmite Build.

My questions are:
Should I refer to the old Yosemite Clover Configurator info for details to help me?
Can I make the boot drive on an external HD, or do I have to erase the existing HD or do I need to start with a fresh HD?

Any feedback would be greatly supported.

Many thanks in advance.

Out

Keep your working installation!

You'll boot from a USB thumbdrive, install to a new drive (or at least a free partition) and only move the OpenCore EFI to the drive when all is worked out. It should be possible to recycle the USB map, but other than that, settings from an old version of Clover are not likely to be of much help.

GT740 won't work with Monterey.

Last edited:
Keep your working installation!

You'll boot from a USB thumbdrive, install to a new drive (or at least a free partition) and only move the OpenCore EFI to the drive when all is worked out.
GT740 won't work with Monterey.
Many thanks for the swift response, etorix. I do recall seeing something about GT740 not being support, but that GT710 was, which I think I have somewhere around here too.

OK.
So, This really looks like my experience with the HP 8300s.
I guess they'll be some fine tuning since I don't have every detail of the previous build's info nailed down.

Will I be able to revert back to the Yosemite build if I don't erase or write over that drive/partition?

Many thanks!!

If at all possible try get another HDD or SSD and try and build on that, so if anything goes wrong you have a backup to go back to.

If at all possible try get another HDD or SSD and try and build on that, so if anything goes wrong you have a backup to go back to.
Thanks OSX790!!

I was hoping that my hunch was correct.
The process can go much faster when less nerves are in danger of being shredded.

LOL

Many thanks.

Unfortunately making changes is always a pain so always best to have a bootable clone of your HDD.

Will I be able to revert back to the Yosemite build if I don't erase or write over that drive/partition?
With Clover+Yosemite and OC+Big Sur on two different drives, you can use the BIOS to chose from which drive to boot.

One more question folks:

In terms of updating to Monterey or Big Sur, what happens with the Yosemite serial number, Hardware UUID and such?

Do I just forget those and use the new info from the new OC process?

...or am I recycling that info?

Many thanks in advance.

I do recall seeing something about GT740 not being support, but that GT710 was, which I think I have somewhere around here too.
Both these cards are Kepler based so neither will work with Monterey. Big Sur will work with them.

In terms of updating to Monterey or Big Sur, what happens with the Yosemite serial number, Hardware UUID and such?
If you install Big Sur to a new drive then it's like a whole new "Mac." They each have their own unique numbers and SMBIOS. If you install BS it's best to use iMac 15,1 if you weren't aware of that. For Monterey you'd have to use iGPU HD4600 and Macmini7,1 instead. See this post:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back