Contribute
Register

Probook 4540s Black Screen after ML install and Probook Installer Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone with a working 4540s can compare the IGPU section w/ this one. When I look at I see all the stuff I expect to see (ig-platform-id inject, AppleBacklightDisplay under framebuffer@0, etc.), but of course, I don't have a working system to compare against. And I suppose this ioreg capture is *after* fixing the problem by plugging in a monitor. One thing you might try is capture ioreg with the display not working. To do that, enable remote desktop (I think Apple calls this "Screen Sharing"), and log into the laptop via remote desktop from another Mac on your network.

Hey Again, I have attached an IOReg Dump that I got by Screen Sharing as you said, I did not "plug-in" the HDMI for this one, screen was off for the entire process so I hope it provides you with some info.

Some things you could try (after you get done trying fresh Unibeast):
- when you get the black screen on boot, try adjusting the brightness up/down/up... not sure if you tried that yet.
- when you get the black screen on boot, try display sleep (Control+Shift+Insert[Eject]), then hit a key to wake up
- use Enoch's Chameleon to adjust ig-platform-id to try different ones...

And in case there is something with low brightness on battery/BIOS setting w/ low brightness...
- make sure you're plugged in, not on battery power
- try adjusting brightness in BIOS then save changes (there was an issue with 4530s where this was a problem)

Did you try both with/without EDID generator in ProBook Installer?

Will update the following suggestions of yours when I get a fresh Unibeast.

Attachments

• IOReg Dump (via Screen Sharing, Monitor Black).zip
    354.5 KB · Views: 109
Maybe someone with a working 4540s can compare the IGPU section w/ this one. When I look at I see all the stuff I expect to see (ig-platform-id inject, AppleBacklightDisplay under framebuffer@0, etc.), but of course, I don't have a working system to compare against. And I suppose this ioreg capture is *after* fixing the problem by plugging in a monitor. One thing you might try is capture ioreg with the display not working. To do that, enable remote desktop (I think Apple calls this "Screen Sharing"), and log into the laptop via remote desktop from another Mac on your network.

- when you get the black screen on boot, try adjusting the brightness up/down/up... not sure if you tried that yet.
- when you get the black screen on boot, try display sleep (Control+Shift+Insert[Eject]), then hit a key to wake up

And in case there is something with low brightness on battery/BIOS setting w/ low brightness...
- try adjusting brightness in BIOS then save changes (there was an issue with 4530s where this was a problem)

That's all my ideas for now...

OK fresh Unibeast installer with new ML download made no difference, screen issue persists.

tried all these seggetions, unfortunately they did not have an effect.

P.S.

Now while I was messing about and experimenting I stumbled across something interesting.

If I conduct a normal ML install with your guide and then at the Probook Installer point I select all the normal items except the DSDT options. restart back into safe mode again after the boot0 fix, then select in the DSDT option my model (4540s Ivy), Normal Fan Mode and NOT select the Display Type, the laptop boots normally, the screen is the wrong resolution understandably and the battery management does not function.

Normally if I don't select the DSDT option it gets stuck at the Load Up screen indefinitely. Not a solution but interesting enough to n
ote.

OK fresh Unibeast installer with new ML download made no difference, screen issue persists.

tried all these seggetions, unfortunately they did not have an effect.

Looking at the ioreg dump taken from remote desktop, you can see that there is no display connected to any framebuffer under IGPU, so this is not surprising.

P.S.

Now while I was messing about and experimenting I stumbled across something interesting.

If I conduct a normal ML install with your guide and then at the Probook Installer point I select all the normal items except the DSDT options. restart back into safe mode again after the boot0 fix, then select in the DSDT option my model (4540s Ivy), Normal Fan Mode and NOT select the Display Type, the laptop boots normally, the screen is the wrong resolution understandably and the battery management does not function.

Normally if I don't select the DSDT option it gets stuck at the Load Up screen indefinitely. Not a solution but interesting enough to n
ote.

That just means you're booting without a DSDT (no DSDT is generated unless you select one option from each of the first three patches). I assume under that scenario, you're getting the default VESA graphics driver, not the HD4000 driver.

I wonder what's different in your laptop vs. most of the other 4x40s around here?

Looking at the ioreg dump taken from remote desktop, you can see that there is no display connected to any framebuffer under IGPU, so this is not surprising.

That just means you're booting without a DSDT (no DSDT is generated unless you select one option from each of the first three patches). I assume under that scenario, you're getting the default VESA graphics driver, not the HD4000 driver.

I wonder what's different in your laptop vs. most of the other 4x40s around here?

Quite strange indead, I just reread your post and I did not try any different ig-platform-id's

use Enoch's Chameleon to adjust ig-platform-id to try different ones...

Will try a few different ones to check results and post back.

Out of curiosity how would I try previous Probook Installers, all the previous iterations from the mega directory all seem to not have the executable .pkg file like the latest? They have another sub-folder with a .pkgproj file that cannot be executed like the latest. Just thought I would give others a go in the meantime.

Quite strange indead, I just reread your post and I did not try any different ig-platform-id's

Will try a few different ones to check results and post back.

Out of curiosity how would I try previous Probook Installers, all the previous iterations from the mega directory all seem to not have the executable .pkg file like the latest? They have another sub-folder with a .pkgproj file that cannot be executed like the latest. Just thought I would give others a go in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to use Enoch Chameleon to experiment, realize you need GraphicsEnabler=Yes and need to remove the _DSM IGPU injection from DSDT. Of course, you can also experiment using MaciASL to change your DSDT ig-platform-id. At this point, that is probably the simple way to go.

You might be looking at the source code for the installer instead of the end-result built PKG. And I don't think philip_petev keeps each beta, only released PKGs in the historical archive.

OK will experiment with Enoch Chameleon, ah didn't realise that the previous beta's were not kept, not to worry just a thought.

In all honesty it sounds like I am the only one with this particular 4540s at the moment. There are a few different iterations 5ish and admittedly this was the latest when I got it a month ago. Other Versions HP offer.

Is there a way of forcing the display output via the laptop display?

Hi,NorBdelta.I have the same issue with my HP EliteBook 2760p.

clover-UEFI : win8/ML 10.8.3
BIOS:F40
CPU:2520m with hd3000
320G HDD
12.1` LCD with 1280x800

DSDT:path (4x30s.txt and 05_OScheck.txt and 04c_FanSpeed.txt) files from https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch

when it boot to login GUI. display show black screen, but when I close the laptop(i mean let it sleep) and wake it up(use power button), display show up with dim light and I can use FN+F9&F10 to change brightness(the max&min brightness make dark again)

if i remove the device(PNLF) from DSDT. Brightness is normal at login gui, but i can't change brightness with the keyboard.

Hi,NorBdelta.I have the same issue with my HP EliteBook 2760p.

clover-UEFI : win8/ML 10.8.3
BIOS:F40
CPU:2520m with hd3000
320G HDD
12.1` LCD with 1280x800

DSDT:path (4x30s.txt and 05_OScheck.txt and 04c_FanSpeed.txt) files from https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch

when it boot to login GUI. display show black screen, but when I close the laptop(i mean let it sleep) and wake it up(use power button), display show up with dim light and I can use FN+F9&F10 to change brightness(the max&min brightness make dark again)

if i remove the device(PNLF) from DSDT. Brightness is normal at login gui, but i can't change brightness with the keyboard.

Cheers dude shall try your suggestion out.

I think the wrong ig-platform-id is the culprit personally with my laptop.

I am going to put a hold on my investigations as the laptop is needed by a family member who broke theirs (typical), will report back in a week or two.

Cheers dude shall try your suggestion out.

I think the wrong ig-platform-id is the culprit personally with my laptop.

Something also to try is dual-link. There have been other laptops with 1366x768 that used dual-link cable. Not ProBooks so far, but that doesn't rule it out considering how many different models HP produces (gotta wonder why they do that).

Hi,NorBdelta.
Today I found a way to work out my issue.
If I unchecked "Ambient Light Sensor" under "Built-in device" in BIOS, brightness work good at bootup to login GUI. I don't know whether it can help you.

Hi,RehabMan
Thank you very much for you hard work, to make my hp 2760p work good in mac xos with your solution(DSDTpath, threads & everything).
also ,are U have some idea to solve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back