Contribute
Register

Problem with poor Vega 64 Performance on Mojave 10.14.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will try this thanks!

Check the update section at the top.

I never stopped using my VGTab kext despite the improvements in macOS 10.14.5's drivers. VGTab helps me overclock, undervolt, and keep the GPU cool. It improves the performance of my Vega 56 drastically. I also never injected the power tables using that method. The kext always worked fine for me.

I use the exact same settings in Windows to help with gaming.

Replaced my EFI with yours - booted no problem. No imporovement in score. Still at 22-23 seconds.

:(

I don't know what's inhibiting your performance... Your install is pretty basic and clean.

I don't know what's inhibiting your performance... Your install is pretty basic and clean.

I know. I’ve tried to keep it lean. Just can’t work it out.

P.s. The EFI you gave me had no VGTab in the other folder ??

I know. I’ve tried to keep it lean. Just can’t work it out.

P.s. The EFI you gave me had no VGTab in the other folder ??

No. You should create your own VGTab kext. Every card is different and overclocks/undervolts that work on one card may not work on another.

No. You should create your own VGTab kext. Every card is different and overclocks/undervolts that work on one card may not work on another.

Yep did that before :) Used the standard Vega 64 profile. Trying the FE8GB now - just in case. I'm wondering if its something to do with me having the Nitro+ version of the 64.

So I've ordered a different Vega 64 Card just to cover all bases. I'm interested to know if it's a hardware issue. It will be here tomorrow. I'll report back.

For the record I'm currently using a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and I've ordered a Gigabyte Gaming Vega 64 OC.

So I've ordered a different Vega 64 Card just to cover all bases. I'm interested to know if it's a hardware issue. It will be here tomorrow. I'll report back.

For the record I'm currently using a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and I've ordered a Gigabyte Gaming Vega 64 OC.

I'm using an MSI Vega 56 Air Boost.

@4string,

I'm currently on FCPX 10.4.4 ... With the issue i wrote above

I've Just checked the App Store and the latest version is 10.4.6 so will update and see if the issue remains.

Cheers
Jay
Did you update to 10.14.6 Jay? Whats the performance like with your Vega?

Did you update to 10.14.6 Jay? Whats the performance like with your Vega?

@demonknight9,

Yes, I updated from FCPX 10.4.4 to 10.4.6 via the App Store.

Unfortunately the BruceX 5K export still around 22 seconds :thumbdown (ran multiple times)

According to iStat menus FCPX only seems to use around 50% GPU on my Vega 64 when exporting, but other apps such as games (I've been playing a lot of BattleTech recently) will peg it at 100%.

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 02.36.19.png

This sort of make sense since as it now takes approx 50% longer to export ...

FCPX BruceX export times :-
  • MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 = ~ 12 Seconds
  • MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 = ~ 22 Seconds
My Card is Liquid cooled so it runs nice and cool so it's not a thermal throttling issue.

I'm at a loss as to why FCPX performance is down for so many Vega owners in Mojave 10.14.5

I think it must be an issue with the AMD drivers .. I've checked on the Apple forums and genuine Mac owners are reporting a similar issue ... no clear reason why or how to fix though .... hopefully Apple will address the issue in the next Mojave update (10.14.6).

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@demonknight9,

Yes, I updated from FCPX 10.4.4 to 10.4.6 via the App Store.

Unfortunately the BruceX 5K export still around 22 seconds :thumbdown (ran multiple times)

According to iStat menus FCPX only seems to use around 50% GPU on my Vega 64 when exporting, but other apps such as games (I've been playing a lot of BattleTech recently) will peg it at 100%.

View attachment 411988

This sort of make sense since it now takes approx 50% longer to export ...

FCPX BruceX export times :-
  • MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 = ~ 12 Seconds
  • MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 = ~ 22 Seconds
My Card is Liquid cooled so it runs nice and cool so it's not a thermal throttling issue.

I'm at a loss as to why FCPX performance is down for so many Vega owners in Mojave 10.14.5

I think it must be an issue with the AMD drivers .. I've checked on the Apple forums and genuine Mac owners are reporting a similar issue ... no clear reason why or how to fix though .... hopefully Apple will address the issue in the next Mojave update (10.14.6).

Cheers
Jay

Hi @jaymonkey - I would agree that it's a driver / optimisation issue but the confusing thing is that @pastrychef is still able to get the faster times using Mojave 10.14.5 and FCPX 10.4.6. I guess the only difference is Vega 64 vs 56 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back