Contribute
Register

Problem with poor Vega 64 Performance on Mojave 10.14.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I use also the latest Mojave update, and now I have installed the latest Affinity Photo update, 1.7 because finaly it has Metal support. The performace is improved but if I do a radial blur on an 4000x3000px image the changes are not smooth. (On an iPad pro it is smooth with the same image) Geekbench shows ~160k result with Metal. Could that be that it is because of this performace issue with Vega 64? Is somebody has the same experience?

Thanks to PastryChef and izo1 for pointing me to this thread. I replaced my 580 with a Vega 64, and I'm the same boat as everyone here, so I'm just adding some data points. I'm getting 156600 on GeekBench, and BruceX of 20 seconds. I too have two NVMe slots, both used, one for boot. I'm on 10.14.5. It's not a power issue AFAIK, as I can watch the wattage ramp up during Handbrake and FCPX. I toggled the card BIOS switch, to no avail. Like everyone else here, I'm stuck at half speed. If my travels reveal some magic cure, I'll be sure to post it here.

As requested in another thread, I've also posted my EFI folder. If anyone cares to take a look at it, and offer suggestions, I'm all ears. (Clover does not work with hardware NVRAM on my particular mobo. That straight from a ticket at the Clover site.)

Thanks, and good luck to us all!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.2 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Everyone, please send feedback to Apple directly regarding the Vega and RX series since both are officially supported by them in an eGPU configuration. A massive influx of emails will make them fix these issues faster.

www.apple.com/feedback

One thing to remember is OpenCL and OpenGL are pretty much dead and Apple will not support it in Catalina. So they are most likely refining it to keep things in Metal only, hence why there's performance degradation even in Mojave.

Thanks to PastryChef for pointing me to this thread. I replaced my 580 with a Vega 64, and I'm the same boat as everyone here, so I'm just adding some data points. I'm getting 156600 on GeekBench, and BruceX of 20 seconds. I too have two NVMe slots, both used, one for boot. I'm on 10.14.5. It's not a power issue AFAIK, as I can watch the wattage ramp up during Handbrake and FCPX. I toggle the card BIOS switch, to no avail. Like everyone else here, I'm stuck at half speed. If my travels reveal some magic cure, I'll be sure to post it here.

Good luck to us all!

So I solved the issue - well partially - the reason I created the thread was mainly due to the fact I was getting very poor BruceX scores of 20-25 seconds. I was on an Aorus Gaming 7 Z370 with 2x NVMEs (populating 2 of the 3 available slots). After moving one of my NVMEs to the top (or bottom slot) depending on your build. I found that my speeds increased. I couldn't run my TB3 expansion card in this configuration.

Soooo... long story short I switched MoBos to the Gigabyte Z390 Designare. It only has two NVME slots but also has built in TB3 right on the rear I/O. No I seem to have full tilt performance from my Vega 64 - in FCPX anyhoo (11/12 seconds for BruceX). A real bonus here is that I have TB3 hot swap working! Which is great for my set up (audio / video studio).

Anyway thought I'd share this in case it's helpful to anyone! Happy to share more details if anyone needs them.

Everyone, please send feedback to Apple directly regarding the Vega and RX series since both are officially supported by them in an eGPU configuration. A massive influx of emails will make them fix these issues faster.

www.apple.com/feedback

One thing to remember is OpenCL and OpenGL are pretty much dead and Apple will not support it in Catalina. So they are most likely refining it to keep things in Metal only, hence why there's performance degradation even in Mojave.

I don't think it's a driver issue. Not everyone is having problems.

Thanks to PastryChef and izo1 for pointing me to this thread. I replaced my 580 with a Vega 64, and I'm the same boat as everyone here, so I'm just adding some data points. I'm getting 156600 on GeekBench, and BruceX of 20 seconds. I too have two NVMe slots, both used, one for boot. I'm on 10.14.5. It's not a power issue AFAIK, as I can watch the wattage ramp up during Handbrake and FCPX. I toggled the card BIOS switch, to no avail. Like everyone else here, I'm stuck at half speed. If my travels reveal some magic cure, I'll be sure to post it here.

As requested in another thread, I've also posted my EFI folder. If anyone cares to take a look at it, and offer suggestions, I'm all ears. (Clover does not work with hardware NVRAM on my particular mobo. That straight from a ticket at the Clover site.)

Thanks, and good luck to us all!

I will take a peek a little later, unless someone gets to it before me.

At a quick glance, I don't see any major issues (except maybe some of your iGPU settings), except some things that need to be cleaned up...but what you have right now should not interfere with the Vega 64 performance. Check in the BIOS that you are running at the correct PCIe speeds (ie, PCIe 3.0 at 16x, etc....or set it to auto).

Also are you using the iGPU as a headless setup? There might be some issues there.

Thank you for your help, izo1. I'll have to check my BIOS, but I think it was properly set up. There is nothing connected to the mobo video ports, so (if I understand "headless" correctly) if iGPU is enabled, it's headless. The PCIe is probably "auto". I have to disconnect a few things to get a keyboard recognized, so it may take me a bit to get to it.

I'm also in the middle of composing a support request to ASUS to see if my configuration has got the Vega's 16x PCIe slot running at 8x... I'll report the reply when I get it.

Thank you for your help, izo1. I'll have to check my BIOS, but I think it was properly set up. There is nothing connected to the mobo video ports, so (if I understand "headless" correctly) if iGPU is enabled, it's headless. The PCIe is probably "auto". I have to disconnect a few things to get a keyboard recognized, so it may take me a bit to get to it.

I'm also in the middle of composing a support request to ASUS to see if my configuration has got the Vega's 16x PCIe slot running at 8x... I'll report the reply when I get it.

Even if it's running at PCI-e 3.0 x8, it should be fine.

At a quick glance, I don't see any major issues (except maybe some of your iGPU settings), except some things that need to be cleaned up...but what you have right now should not interfere with the Vega 64 performance. Check in the BIOS that you are running at the correct PCIe speeds (ie, PCIe 3.0 at 16x, etc....or set it to auto).

Also are you using the iGPU as a headless setup? There might be some issues there.

Thanks. I took a look at the bios. The PCIe was set for "auto" so I forced it to Gen3. iGPU is enabled, and headless. (This build is for video work, and I want to be able to access H264.)

No change in performance.

When/if you have the time to look closer at my EFI, you mentioned things that might be cleaned up a bit. I'd be happy to learn what they are, and set things up to be as pristine as possible.

Thanks in Advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back