Contribute
Register

Problem With OpenCore 0.6.8 on Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, thank you, that is the date of the Resources folder I have installed. Dates on files inside the folder also match mine. Maybe my problem is the Quirks selected in my config.plist. In Misc/Boot I have PickerAttributes = 17, PickerMode = External, PickerVariant=Normal, ShowPicker=YES. Have played with PickerVariant somewhat (tried Modern, no effect).

Also check that the config.plist still shows Picker as "external". That's the only other setting I can think of.

Yes, that was my guide. It worked for OC 0.6.7, but I'm wondering if the Sample.plist with 0.6.8 somehow is not compatible with the 0.6.8 OpenCanopy GUI... i.e. if there is another PickerAttributes number other than 17 that should be used to get the GUI... or some other magic trick.

[Edit: UD, see my post #9 which is the present setup in my config.plist/Boot area for the Picker.]
[Edit 2: Just changed PickerVariant to "Auto," no effect.]

Last edited:
I found the problem; it came from the OpenCore 0.6.8 Sample plist, and I carried it into my config.plist. If you look at the attached screenshot of the UEFI section of the Sample plist, you will see a "#" symbol leading many of the filenames. It does not occur on "HFSPlus.efi" or "OpenRuntime.efi," but it is there on "#OpenCanopy.efi," and I just left it there in my config.plist. But the actual filename in EFI/OC/Drivers is just "OpenCanopy.efi" with no "#" sign. So my config.plist and Drivers list did not match. I deleted the "#" from the carried-over driver names in the Sample.plist and now I have the GUI I want. Question: Why are there hashmarks on those filenames?

OC 0.6.8 Sample plist.jpg

I found the problem; it came from the OpenCore 0.6.8 Sample plist, and I carried it into my config.plist. If you look at the attached screenshot of the UEFI section of the Sample plist, you will see a "#" symbol leading many of the filenames. It does not occur on "HFSPlus.efi" or "OpenRuntime.efi," but it is there on "#OpenCanopy.efi," and I just left it there in my config.plist. But the actual filename in EFI/OC/Drivers is just "OpenCanopy.efi" with no "#" sign. So my config.plist and Drivers list did not match. I deleted the "#" from the carried-over driver names in the Sample.plist and now I have the GUI I want. Question: Why are there hashmarks on those filenames?

View attachment 516887
Did you remove the warnings at the top as well?

Did you remove the warnings at the top as well?
If you mean the comments at the top of the Sample.plist, yes. I had deleted them before saving the edited version as my config.plist.

If you mean the comments at the top of the Sample.plist, yes. I had deleted them before saving the edited version as my config.plist.

Those hash marks - # - are the same as what they call "REM" statements which programmers use at the beginning of a line to indicate it does nothing and is just a "remark". In OpenCore it is used to deactivate that file.

:)

In OpenCore it is used to deactivate that file.
Thanks for the info... the hash mark was really handy (sarcasm)... they deactivated a file reference that I planned to use. "Keep what you need and delete what you don't need." Didn't work.

Wanna know what else was frustrating? After a 40-minute download of 11.3, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to update my backup SSD, but the backup SSD was still on 11.2.3 (I think CCC had a memo out on that). I had to do another complete download/"preparing 11.3"/install on my backup disk in order to boot on it. Another 40 minutes gone. (At least now OC 0.6.8 shows both of my SSDs with the correct names.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back