Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Computer description is at left. Working fine using OC 0.6.7. Attempt to update to 0.6.8 is a disaster. Booting stops with Apple progress bar at about 1/3 complete and hangs there. Created new USB drive with from-scratch OC 0.6.8 installation in its EFI partition. Computer will not boot with either my "970 0" SSD or the USB EFI folder chosen as boot device. Ran "ocvalidate" (0.6.8 version) on the new config.plist mounted on desktop and got the result in first picture below. Apparently my config.plist is good. Then tried to run the same validation on the same config.plist file on the USB flash drive and got the "unable to read" results in the second picture. Is this a restriction on use of "ocvalidate?" It cannot read a file on a USB drive? What's happening?

Config.plist on desktop.jpgConfig.plist on USB EFI Partition.jpg

Although supposedly my config.plist is good, the attached momentary error message shows up in the AMI screen whenever I try to boot. Some makes sense, some does not. Any comments?

No Schema photo.jpg

Although supposedly my config.plist is good, the attached momentary error message shows up in the AMI screen whenever I try to boot. Some makes sense, some does not. Any comments?

View attachment 516643
check with the sample.plist when you download opencore

use ocvalidate that comes with the download on config.plist

and change the entries accordingly

resetting nvram can also help

Yep, I did that. The overall fix for me was to reinstall Big Sur from my "Install Big Sur" flash drive, which allowed booting without that weird error in the AMI screen. Then I replaced the EFI folders in both 970 0 and 970 1 SSDs with my from-scratch version. Now everything is copacetic, but I still have no idea what happened.

[Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm back to the text screen for OC 0.6.8 instead of the nice GUI (Open Canopy) display I had before. Don't know why that is, either.]

Does anyone have a clue to the magic combination of Picker modes, variants, etc. (and anything else) that restores the nice OC GUI I had with 0.6.7? I've tried some but have not hit on it.

Does anyone have a clue to the magic combination of Picker modes, variants, etc. (and anything else) that restores the nice OC GUI I had with 0.6.7? I've tried some but have not hit on it.

As it was working before all I can suggest is to remember to replace all the old version Resources folder with the new 0.6.8 version. There's a new OcBinaryData package with updated files for OpenCanopy. :thumbup:

Yes, thank you, that is the date of the Resources folder I have installed. Dates on files inside the folder also match mine. Maybe my problem is the Quirks selected in my config.plist. In Misc/Boot I have PickerAttributes = 17, PickerMode = External, PickerVariant=Normal, ShowPicker=YES. Have played with PickerVariant somewhat (tried Modern, no effect).

Yes, thank you, that is the date of the Resources folder I have installed. Dates on files inside the folder also match mine. Maybe my problem is the Quirks selected in my config.plist. In Misc/Boot I have PickerAttributes = 17, PickerMode = External, PickerVariant=Normal, ShowPicker=YES. Have played with PickerVariant somewhat (tried Modern, no effect).
i don't use opencanopy as i don't dual boot, but have you checked your settings via:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back