Contribute
Register

Problem after updating to 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Very interesting. So basically, by this value being set wrong (3000 vs now 2000), it causes the OS to initialize the driver at the wrong time, essentially missing its mark and never loading?
No. The problem npci=0x2000 solved was the appearance that boot stopped at "PCI Configuration Begin" with verbose boot. I say appearance because the boot was continuing and many users assumed a boot hang; if they had waited, assuming no graphics problem, the Desktop would always appear.

At that time, a new release (10.6.6?) presented the PCI Configuration Begin and with it, a "boot hang". The command was originally required for nvidia graphics cards only. Subsequently, some HD3000 installs needed it. npci=0x2000 directs the boot log (Console) output to the boot display, credit: bcc9, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-106-including-boot-132-install-cd/?p=1706503

Some have found npci=0x3000 works, Ive never used it. For most users, the ncpi kernel flag is not needed. It is helpful for troubleshooting older Nvidia graphics problems during boot.

Clearly, 10.8.5 is using 0x3000 for new purposes. There may be a time when npci=0x2000 breaks something.

Thanks. Took your advice and went the Voodoo route (since I have an old MSI board, pre sandybridge with ALC889). Removed npci=0x2000 and installed voodoohda 2.8.4 via multi beast. Audio was very low. Turned up input gain and everything is great.

No. The problem npci=0x2000 solved was the appearance that boot stopped at "PCI Configuration Begin" with verbose boot. I say appearance because the boot was continuing and many users assumed a boot hang; if they had waited, assuming no graphics problem, the Desktop would always appear.

At that time, a new release (10.6.6?) presented the PCI Configuration Begin and with it, a "boot hang". The command was originally required for nvidia graphics cards only. Subsequently, some HD3000 installs needed it. npci=0x2000 directs the boot log (Console) output to the boot display, credit: bcc9, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-106-including-boot-132-install-cd/?p=1706503

Some have found npci=0x3000 works, Ive never used it. For most users, the ncpi kernel flag is not needed. It is helpful for troubleshooting older Nvidia graphics problems during boot.

Clearly, 10.8.5 is using 0x3000 for new purposes. There may be a time when npci=0x2000 breaks something.

Interesting. Well, whatever it is, removing the flag fixed the sound.

Thanks for the clarification. Following your advice I deleted the npci flag completely. It is not required to boot.

Hmm - it may be a consideration for MM next multibeast version to take out the scripting to auto-add the flag when selecting DSDT/DSDT Free installation. At this point, it is being added with both of those, but obviously it seems to be causing some audio problems.

Hmm - it may be a consideration for MM next multibeast version to take out the scripting to auto-add the flag when selecting DSDT/DSDT Free installation.
I agree, the flag is not necessary for normal booting. For troubleshooting, enter the flag at the boot prompt: npci=0x2000 -v.

Thanks twistedsystems for finding the problem and Toleda for clarifying the issue. I feel i know somting when reading your explanations! (jejeje) . Just wanted to confirm changing npci=0x3000 to npci=0x2000 fixes the sound on two of my ASUS boards. Both of them with patched BIOS and my own DSDT's with HDMI edits for sound thanks to Toleda. Thanks a lot to all of you out there!

Thank you guys, deleting npci=0x3000 fixed it for me, too.

ALC889, no DSDT.

I'm sorry, I wasn't really able to follow the process for getting sound back. I have an MSI board, and no audio devices are appearing in system preferences. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back