Contribute
Register

Pro Video Editing: X99 deluxe - I7-5930k - GTX 970, 4K UHD professional editing, any chance of Hacki

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that some others with much more experience have gotten them working.

Indeed, but not me. I gave it a few tries, but I didn't succeed, so now work on Windows.
My original Mac broke down, so I am not able to make the usb drives. (easy)
Its my only working machine, and I can't afford to break it.
Perhaps when all hardware is supported by Apple, and it will be more easy, I will give it another try.

Not pressing your luck, but my recommendations would be:
  • If you are a relative newbie at both computer building (have never done this sort of thing under Windoze) and/or newbie to building a CustoMac, then I would strongly recommend sticking very closely to the recommendations on the Buyer's Guide. Not only for best compatibility out of the box (OoB), but ease of build, configuring, optimizing, and troubleshooting.
  • If you are a seasoned Windoze or CustoMac builder and enjoy the challenge of spending top $$ on leading-edge components to create a build - and yet where the hardware & chipsets are not yet officially supported by Apple/OS X, then by all means, X99 can be a fun and powerful choice (ok...with a fair amount of this, though):
    :banghead: :crazy:

Remember - in the Windoze world, you can buy components for an X99 system and get a fully-functional and highly-optimized build under Win8/8.1 from the git go. But for Hackintosh/CustoMac, we are very much at the mercy of the Apple product roadmap - what components will Apple be using the next time they refresh MBP/iMac/MacPro??? And once they land on a chipset/processor/video card to put into mass production, then the OS X coders need to go to work & get that built into OS X. **ONLY THEN** (3-6-9 months from now) could we see full support for X99 in OS X, making builds with this hardware as much of a "snap" as the hardware you currently see in the brand new December version of the Buyer's Guide!!!

:headbang:

What would you recommend for a hackintosher with some previous experiences ( running on Hackies about 7-8 years ago already) for video editing & music production system: Asus X99 Deluxe or Gigabyte X99-UD4/UD5/SOC Force ? What model of Ram, also? As far as I have read - maybe Vengeance or Crucial Sport would be good options - but I am not sure if frequencies or latencies matter that much - 2666 vs 2400, CL 15 vs CL 16.
Thank you so much for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back