Contribute
Register

Pro Video Editing: X99 deluxe - I7-5930k - GTX 970, 4K UHD professional editing, any chance of Hacki

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go for the Gigabyte and not asus.I've read many trouble with that mobo.

...then you've read wrong... there are several of us who have fully-functioning X99-DELUXE builds (well, as fully-functional as you can get at this point until Apple releases a product with this chipset).

...then you've read wrong... there are several of us who have fully-functioning X99-DELUXE builds (well, as fully-functional as you can get at this point until Apple releases a product with this chipset).

Could this be a concern if I want to run Yosemite as my DD?

Could this be a concern if I want to run Yosemite as my DD?

As long as your apps are fully certified/supported under Yosemite...

As long as your apps are fully certified/supported under Yosemite...

BoomR, I hope I'm not pressing my luck here cause you've been helpful but if you were going to advise someone who's building a very similar build as the OP, what mobo would you recommend?

BoomR, I hope I'm not pressing my luck here cause you've been helpful but if you were going to advise someone who's building a very similar build as the OP, what mobo would you recommend?

Not pressing your luck, but my recommendations would be:
  • If you are a relative newbie at both computer building (have never done this sort of thing under Windoze) and/or newbie to building a CustoMac, then I would strongly recommend sticking very closely to the recommendations on the Buyer's Guide. Not only for best compatibility out of the box (OoB), but ease of build, configuring, optimizing, and troubleshooting.
  • If you are a seasoned Windoze or CustoMac builder and enjoy the challenge of spending top $$ on leading-edge components to create a build - and yet where the hardware & chipsets are not yet officially supported by Apple/OS X, then by all means, X99 can be a fun and powerful choice (ok...with a fair amount of this, though):
    :banghead: :crazy:

Remember - in the Windoze world, you can buy components for an X99 system and get a fully-functional and highly-optimized build under Win8/8.1 from the git go. But for Hackintosh/CustoMac, we are very much at the mercy of the Apple product roadmap - what components will Apple be using the next time they refresh MBP/iMac/MacPro??? And once they land on a chipset/processor/video card to put into mass production, then the OS X coders need to go to work & get that built into OS X. **ONLY THEN** (3-6-9 months from now) could we see full support for X99 in OS X, making builds with this hardware as much of a "snap" as the hardware you currently see in the brand new December version of the Buyer's Guide!!!

:headbang:

Thank you, BoomR.

I really like the Asus X99 Deluxe setup a little better but from my little research, it seems that Gigabyte plays nicer with OS X (OoB). Therefore, I'm going to look into GA-X99-UD5 WIFI.

Like I mentioned, my build is similar to the OP; I'm going with a i7-5820K and a GTX 970 gpu.

Thank you once again and I'll continue to use the website as a resource.

Just wanted to confirm, your x99 build is stable, and has Yosemite running well?

The reason I'm asking is because I just built a 4930k with the Sabertooth X79 and GTX 970. I could return the CPU/Mobo and get the 5930k and Rampage 5 Extreme. But do you think its worth it? My Geekbench scores are 22819. I would prefer to have the "latest" components, but is your OS stable? Many workarounds? Thanks.

So glad to have come across this site / thread. I am also in a similar situation- started lurking this page when I knew I had to upgrade my editing situation, and my 2k budget wouldn't get me the mac pro that I need. Besides, the thought of building a Hackintosh has intrigued me for a while.

Getting to the point:

I too am looking to build a new video editing machine, and will need POWER for 4k editing and other applications (motion graphics, animation, etc.). Although I am a total NOOB at this (look- my first post!), I do want something with a little more oomph than the stable builds listed on the new Dec. buying guide. I've been following the Haswell E / x99 forums, and was planning on the i7 5820k / Gigabyte (or ASUS) x99 combo... other specs are gtx970, a samsung ssd, 32 gb ram... I see that some others with much more experience have gotten them working.

Should I pursue this build? I don't want to settle for the quad-core options with all of this new stuff out that's potentially in my budget. However, I want something stable and DO-ABLE with my limited experience. Also, I'm noticing Thunderbolt is a much harder addition than I expected, and I would need that as well...

LONG STORY SHORT - is pursuing this build the best course of action? Meaning is this going to provide me with the best performing machine I can afford? I do have some friends that can potentially help me should the installation instructions get beyond my ability, but I just want to see if I'm totally crazy, or if this is a good call...

Sorry to be so long-winded!

LONG STORY SHORT - is pursuing this build the best course of action? Meaning is this going to provide me with the best performing machine I can afford? I do have some friends that can potentially help me should the installation instructions get beyond my ability, but I just want to see if I'm totally crazy, or if this is a good call...

Sorry to be so long-winded!

See my post #25

What do you think about this build as an editing/motion graphics hackintosh? I'm also willing to run windows for a while while I wait for OSX support, but I do want to be able to run it eventually. Any suggestions on improving this build? Will this all work together? Do I need a higher class motherboard? I also shoot 4K video and need to upgrade.

Also do you notice if I'm missing something? This is my first build.

CASE NZXT Technologies H440 Mid Tower Chassis Case

SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
CPU COOLER Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
MOTHERBOARD ASUS X99-A ATX DDR4 3000 LGA Motherboard X99-A
MEMORY Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) CL16 DR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory
VIDEO CARD EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
PROCESSOR Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back